Thread: Spotting a faker, is it really a fake?

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Default Spotting a faker, is it really a fake?

Well this is both asking for help, and a question since it very recently became an issue for me. As collectors we're all very familiar with this generation's rampant fakes being passed off as the real thing. I've noticed it has been particularly bad with Ps3 controllers. Not that it is a problem if you buy first hand and know where your product comes from, but I'm talking about the secondary market. Say you buy from Gamestop, Play N Trade, Gorilla Games, etc. Whatever the product it may be you bring it home and it just doesn't feel right. I don't remember having such an issue making sure I had the knowledge to be 100% certain anything I was buying second hand was Genuine! Seems like they've been getting better at it. Has anyone else had this issue with these types of fakes?

----

My issue began yesterday when I picked up a ps3 Dualshock 3 controller from my only remaining local Play N Trade. It seemed ok so I purchased it. I took it home and didn't think to use it until 3 am tonight. While playing it gave me no indication, it connected ok, really responsive, felt exactly as an official controller should. Until I used the right joystick. It was sticky but that could very well have been the previous owner. I looked into it further and noticed there was no COA sticker on the bottom of the controller. Not that it's missing but looks to have never been applied. No guides reference this and every other potential red flag checks out fine. Could it still be a fake or a manufacturing error?

This controller here is why I had this issue (in the pics it will always be at the top):
    image1
    image2
    image3
    image4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible that the controller got "dunked" in something so disgusting and vile that the label had to be removed to make it possible to sell?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Is it possible that the controller got "dunked" in something so disgusting and vile that the label had to be removed to make it possible to sell?
    The issue with this theory is how clean the area is and that it has texture. it would show signs of removal.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    The issue with this theory is how clean the area is and that it has texture. it would show signs of removal.
    Unless it was then cleaned with "Goo Gone" or a similar chemical.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Unless it was then cleaned with "Goo Gone" or a similar chemical.
    Yeah, looking at the last picture, the plastic looks like it has a little bit of oil residue left over on the lower left side. Someone probably spilled a soft drink on the controller and they attempted to clean it with Goo Gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, looking at the last picture, the plastic looks like it has a little bit of oil residue left over on the lower left side. Someone probably spilled a soft drink on the controller and they attempted to clean it with Goo Gone.
    I've taken apart old consoles and controllers in the past and put the plastics in my dishwasher to clean them. It does a wonderful job at cleaning the item but tends to remove any stickers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Thanks for the suggestions that looks to be it. I'm still having issues with sticking joysticks so I think I may return it and wait for them to get a better one in stock. It works great but the joysticks feel odd and it throws me off.

In any case. Back to the original subject because I have been noticing more pirate games and controllers making their way into game stores. Heck, even my local Play N Trade sold brand new knock offs at one point.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It works great but the joysticks feel odd and it throws me off.
    Off topic post, but it's a little strange hearing analog/thumb sticks being called "joysticks". I'm not suggesting it's incorrect (it may not be), I guess it's just that I only equate larger ones that you actually grasp with you hand "joysticks".

Meh, that's no biggie though. What really bugs me out is when people call all game controllers "paddles". The only controller I call a "paddle" are the Atari 2600 dial controllers.