Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever sold something for cheap without knowing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Have you ever sold something for cheap without knowing?

Last year I unloaded a bunch of Xbox games at the local game store for cheap. If I recall correctly I sold each one for a dollar. I didn't mind at the time, because I found them all in a bargain bin. I remember hesitating to sell my copy of Spy Vs. Spy (sealed), but of course the buyer started to pressure me and said, "It doesn't matter that they're sealed. I'm just going to open them anyway. It's harder to sell sealed Xbox games as opposed to opened." He opened them all immediately after I sold them.

Last night I looked on eBay and Amazon to find that not only are sealed copies of Spy Vs. Spy harder to find, but they can sell for at least 50 dollars. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.

Long story short: I sold my rare game for 1 dollar.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you did what 98% of All Americans do. You dont research your shit before selling it!

Personally, cant say Ive ever sold anything for cheap. Ive sold things for a certain price at a certain time, and then years later the item is worth tenfold, yeah I regret things like that......as for just going off and blindly selling stuff, nope never done it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carnby View Post
    Last year I unloaded a bunch of Xbox games at the local game store for cheap. If I recall correctly I sold each one for a dollar. I didn't mind at the time, because I found them all in a bargain bin. I remember hesitating to sell my copy of Spy Vs. Spy (sealed), but of course the buyer started to pressure me and said, "It doesn't matter that they're sealed. I'm just going to open them anyway. It's harder to sell sealed Xbox games as opposed to opened." He opened them all immediately after I sold them.

Last night I looked on eBay and Amazon to find that not only are sealed copies of Spy Vs. Spy harder to find, but they can sell for at least 50 dollars. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.

Long story short: I sold my rare game for 1 dollar.
    I don't mean this in a dicky way, but I'm wondering how someone can "pressure you" to sell something that you're only getting $1 for? Even if you had fifty or so games, that's not exactly a high dollar transaction at a buck each. Were you in a really difficult position where you needed cash immediately? If so, it's understandable and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it much. Chock it up as a lessen learned. Regardless, you shouldn't allow yourself to be pressured that easily, and you should always research what you can get for things before you offload them. Even if you were desperate for cash at the time, selling one less game for a dollar wouldn't have hurt your situation anyway, and had to have been worth the wait.

When you're in a pinch and you fire sell things to move them quickly, put them up for half of what they go for, not 2% of what they do.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

When my parents were going out one time, had them go to sell some SNES games at Gamestop for me when the one time they were paying a lot in store credit for SNES. This was in either 1999 or 2000. Whoever did the transaction used "generic game, $2," on just about every game. Went up there and complained later on, but since I couldn't prove that I traded the games I stated they said they wouldn't do anything for me. I knew I got ripped off because I called prior to that day asking the prices of the games.

That's the last time I've ever traded in a game at Gamestop. Aside from the fact that I screwed over, Gamestop gives you absolutely nothinig for game trades now days. Might as well sell it on Ebay and get $5 to $10 less than if the person was to purchase it new. Or more than what it was when it was new which is a rarity now days.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid, I felt certain that the system to get after my NES was a Genesis. Once I realized I made a mistake, my parents refused to spend any more money and said if I wanted a SNES I needed to sell my NES and Genesis. I ended up selling it all for just enough to get a SNES. I had about 30 boxed NES games, all in near perfect condition. Including Stack-Up. That one hurt the worst.
    Last edited by eggwolio; 03-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    When I was a kid, I felt certain that the system to get after my NES was a Genesis.
    You were correct.

Once I realized I made a mistake....
    What was your mistake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I used to trade in lots of games back in my pre-job high school/college days. Lately less so, though I did trade away some xbox 360 games towards a Vita because I was in a bit of a financial pinch.

What irks me more is when I miss out on a fantastic opportunity - like when the Saturn was dying off, it was the only current-gen console I had at the time. Since I wouldn't get a PS1 until later, I wanted to get the last games for the Saturn. However, I had no money on my own and while my dad bought me Winter Heat, I missed out on Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, etc... it seemed many of those had to be special ordered at the time. No one really cared then, the Saturn was on its way out.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't mean this in a dicky way, but I'm wondering how someone can "pressure you" to sell something that you're only getting $1 for? Even if you had fifty or so games, that's not exactly a high dollar transaction at a buck each. Were you in a really difficult position where you needed cash immediately? If so, it's understandable and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it much. Chock it up as a lessen learned. Regardless, you shouldn't allow yourself to be pressured that easily, and you should always research what you can get for things before you offload them. Even if you were desperate for cash at the time, selling one less game for a dollar wouldn't have hurt your situation anyway, and had to have been worth the wait.

When you're in a pinch and you fire sell things to move them quickly, put them up for half of what they go for, not 2% of what they do.
    Unless I did poor research, I could have sworn the game was worth only a few dollars at the time. I guess I didn't take "sealed" into consideration.

As far as him pressuring me goes, you're right, it's my fault. He just gave me the usual "xbox games are worthless. you're not going to get more for these any where else." At least I know he opened it, and dropped the value of it instantly. That's the only silver lining in this story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once traded a copy of Castelvania: SotN for $0 at EB.
    I didn't notice it until I got home.
    The next day I went back and showed the clerk my receipt, and he gave me the appropriate trade-in value plus $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You were correct.

What was your mistake?
    My mistake was that Nintendo consistently throughout my lifetime has offered more games that I like than any of the other guys. There are certainly gems on the Genesis, but the choice for me should've been SNES from the beginning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I once traded a copy of Castelvania: SotN for $0 at EB.
    I didn't notice it until I got home.
    Wait, how does that work, exactly? I'm assuming you traded in several games and maybe purchased a few as well, and it got lost in the shuffle, perhaps? I've never traded games into a store, so I'm not up on how it goes. It seems weird that you could have gotten all the way home and noticed that you basically gave something fairly considerable away for free.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Yes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

When I was young and didn't know any better, I didn't have the room for games that I have now. So in order for me to get money for a new system, and to make room for new games, I would trade in my games and systems.

I traded in my SNES, Crono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Super Mario RPG, XMen, Lufia 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, etc....for $50.

To this day, I still cry about it and kick myself for how incredibly stupid I was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, how does that work, exactly? I'm assuming you traded in several games and maybe purchased a few as well, and it got lost in the shuffle, perhaps? I've never traded games into a store, so I'm not up on how it goes. It seems weird that you could have gotten all the way home and noticed that you basically gave something fairly considerable away for free.
    Pretty much. I have no idea how the error itself happened, but I was trading in all my PS1 stuff for a GBA, which had just launched. I also recall them trying to force some sort of bundle on me and I wasn't having it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't a modern gaming story, but I thought it fit the theme of this thread:

When I was around 9, I sold my NES, SNES and their respective collections to Funcoland. I had some real heavy hitters too, especially for SNES. We're talking games like Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, Earthbound, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X series, etc. My NES collection wasn't quite as stacked, but it was a gift from a family friend. I had the usual assortment of Marios, both Metal Gear games, and one of my co-op favorites, Ikari Warriors. My grandparents would also get me one NES game at K-Mart every time I'd visit for the weekend, which was around twice a month.

And what did I sell everything for, you ask?

A Game Boy Camera. A lousy, stinkin' Game Boy Camera!

I also got Pokemon with the remaining store credit I had, but that's like selling a fleet of classic muscle cars and buying a Honda Civic.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

When they want to stop taking in certain titles the trade value gets set to $0.00, those titles will still have a selling price listed but no trade price as they don't want to accept more. Usually they'll just say they can't take a game as trade, but really they can at $0.00 which no sane person would accept if being told about it. I can imagine some sales staff just ringing in a bunch of games for trade in but not paying attention to the trade values, and a $0.00 game being accepted in.

I actually remember years ago trading in some old PC game for maybe $0.25-$0.50 in credit, only the selling price was listed at $0.00. The manager manually changed the price of that game for sale to either $1.99 or $2.99. It would have been funny if I could have kept buying the game for free and trading it back in again.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done a few trades and sales back in the day that looking back on them now were rather lopsided in favor of the other person. Some were sold to family members like extra copies of Magic Knight RayEarth on Saturn so I don't feel so bad parting with them but other games like Snatcher on Sega CD and some Neo Cart games didn't prove to be as lucrative in trade for me.

There's been a few times where I wish I could go back in time and smack the ever loving HELL out of my younger self for coming up with boneheaded trains of thought such as "Hey, I have the Neo CD version, I don't need the AES versions anymore!"

I did help a kid on GameTZ once track down a copy of a game for GB called "Stop that Roach!". We had a cart only copy at the store I was working at and I sold it to him for what I paid for it (about $6). Turns out that game is somewhat rare and worth a little bit (or it was at one point in time...the DP guide has it at a 5).
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Speaking of worthless trade-ins, I once traded in a garbage copy of NCAA Gamebreaker for the PS1 many years ago, along with many other more desirable games. I didn't care what I'd get for it - but the manager told me he couldn't give me anything for it. I just told him to take it anyway and later I saw it tagged $1.99 in the used section...I suppose they at least could have given me .25

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I have ever really sold anything gaming related was when I sold a small stack of PlayStation games to reserve a pre-order of Chrono Cross. I probably did sell them for less than they were worth, although I only remember one of the titles and that was MechWarrior. I don't really regret selling them as Chrono Cross was a great game and one of my favorite video game soundtracks, I just wish I remembered which other games I sold so I could buy them again 12 years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    The only time I have ever really sold anything gaming related was when I sold a small stack of PlayStation games to reserve a pre-order of Chrono Cross. I probably did sell them for less than they were worth, although I only remember one of the titles and that was MechWarrior. I don't really regret selling them as Chrono Cross was a great game and one of my favorite video game soundtracks, I just wish I remembered which other games I sold so I could buy them again 12 years later.
    I actually tried to compile a list of games I previously knew I owned from when I traded in games far more. I probably came up with 100 or so. I bought about half of them later (most PS2 or early Xbox 360 games) for cheap but then stopped when I realized I wasn't playing them anyway and just owning them for old times sake...