Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a 5 year search ends. My final SNES item acquired; one of the rarest around!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Finally, a 5 year search ends. My final SNES item acquired; one of the rarest around!

Man, I've been collecting CIB SNES games since 2007. I've only seen this game "3 Ninjas Kick Back" CIB on eBay like twice... maybe 3x in the past five years. (I searched just about everyday, too). In case you didn't know, the box and manual for this title is infamous for its extremely high rarity level. It's definitely up there in the top 5, maybe top 3 hardest to find SNES boxes/manuals list. Late last year I won the manual (mint). I snatched it up quick, knowing I was halfway there. (Sometimes it's just easier, and cheaper, to piece a CIB one by one). Now I just needed the box....

Found a seller who was offering the box for an insane price, but I managed to bring him down to a more "reasonable" price. He agreed and the box arrived yesterday

As for the game itself, I beat it last year and actually find it to be somewhat underrated. Not a gem by ANY stretch of the imagination, but quite fun and certainly playable. It's a little challenging, which also makes it rewarding when you finally beat the game. Two bosses took me down to my final health box. Game's music is right out of the movie. Kinda catchy...

I especially like the back of the box. Nice design. Love the big pic of the final boss upper right hand corner. The manual has some nice colorful descriptions. All this plus the fact that I actually like the game... added more fuel to the fire to buy the box and complete the 3 Ninjas saga, as well as my SNES collection.

Time for some pics!

Actually not a bad little game. YMMV, but I certainly enjoyed it

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats, I've always wanted this one CIB as well, but not willing to pay the market price on it. I remember when Wrldstrman won his copy around $150 at open auction maybe 2 years ago at this point? He said he sniped around $1,000 and people told him he was crazy. Then this game just took off quickly, and it hardly ever appears...
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on getting your final item. I'd just like to find Mega Man X2, X3, and Final Fight 3 loose in the wild...
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Congrats--great accomplishment!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, no idea this was rare, my cousin has a boxed (might have manual) copy in his collection that I could probably get off of him!!!!

Congrats on your accomplishment! thats very cool! and thanks for the info!!!!!
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 03-20-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

I had no idea how rare that manual is and I'll keep an eye open for it now =]

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Congrats on getting your final item. I'd just like to find Mega Man X2, X3, and Final Fight 3 loose in the wild...
    Is MMX2 reallty that hard to come across? I remember the video store(s) in my hometown all had 2 copies, and I've come across it at used game shops and flea markets a couple of times... Maybe I just lived in an X2-centric part of the world?
    I got my copy (which I recently sold for over $40) for all of $6.99 with box, from one of said video stores back in 1999.

Congrats to OP on his score!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

How long did it take you to find the box and manual for Mr. Nutz? I've never seen it; not even once and I looked all last year for it never to be found. I ended up settling for a CIB PAL copy because of this.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Congrats, I've always wanted this one CIB as well, but not willing to pay the market price on it. I remember when Wrldstrman won his copy around $150 at open auction maybe 2 years ago at this point? He said he sniped around $1,000 and people told him he was crazy. Then this game just took off quickly, and it hardly ever appears...
    Yeah, I remember trying to snipe that auction with a max bid of like $100. I was a bit shocked at the time when it ended at $154. After that, pricing for 3NKB CIB soared through the roof. A mint complete copy would probably garner 1K in the open market currently.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Good luck. I lucked out finding MMX2 at a Game Crazy back in early 2006 before Game Crazy went down the toilet (they literally did like two months after I purchased MMX2). Still one of my favorite finds in the wild

I was so surprised to see MMX2 mint lying there in their glass case. When Tony rang me up, he looked long and hard at the game, saying, "Huh... this one is 10 bucks. Must be one of the harder to find SNES games..." Not surprisingly, the next time I visited, their SNES selection suddenly became crap (any remotely decent game was gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    wow, no idea this was rare, my cousin has a boxed (might have manual) copy in his collection that I could probably get off of him!!!!
    Nice! If the box is in good condition, you could easily get $400 for it. Probably $500+... put it on eBay at 99 cents and watch it shoot up

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    How long did it take you to find the box and manual for Mr. Nutz? I've never seen it; not even once and I looked all last year for it never to be found. I ended up settling for a CIB PAL copy because of this.
    I lucked out with this one. Got the manual in a massive manual lot eBay win circa 2006.
    Then, in 2010, I saw Mr. Nutz game with mint box for $29 BIN. Needless to say, I quickly jumped all over that.
    I haven't seen many Mr. Nutz manuals/boxes over the years. It is one of the harder ones to find as well. Though nowhere near 3NKB rarity or cost.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't aware that this was rare or valuable either.

I purchased a lot of about 100-200 SNES boxes and manuals a few years ago and it turns out that I have this.

Perhaps its time to look through that box and see what else I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the OP: Now that you have finished your SNES collection, where do you go from here? To Disneyworld? I have always wondered what collectors do when they finish a collection. Go out to Hooters and buy drinks all around? To me, it would take the thrill out to finally complete a collection. Thankfully, I have so many left to complete.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I just want a CIB Hagane on SNES. Yeah will never happen

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

When a collector finishes a collection, a flashback of an episode of Doug occurs. Mr. Bone flips the chalkboard and says "now you can do the other side! hahahahahahaha!" And then you just start collecting imports for that system.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but is the game any good?

jk.

Awesome find; I personally could never pay that much for a box and manual of an SNES game, but man, it must feel good to finally have it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    To the OP: Now that you have finished your SNES collection, where do you go from here? To Disneyworld? I have always wondered what collectors do when they finish a collection. Go out to Hooters and buy drinks all around? To me, it would take the thrill out to finally complete a collection. Thankfully, I have so many left to complete.
    Well, I plan to do what I've been doing the last six-plus years... continuing to play through my SNES library game by game. I still have a TON to go through, so that will keep me busy for years to come. Another goal is to get a 2-player 3NKB game going. I gotta try it with a friend... especially since it was the last item I needed to finish my collection it's only appropriate that I toast this feat by playing the actual game with a friend. I liked it 1-player and managed to beat it after quite a few tries, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it a bit more in 2 player mode and all the benefits that come with having an extra hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    When a collector finishes a collection, a flashback of an episode of Doug occurs. Mr. Bone flips the chalkboard and says "now you can do the other side! hahahahahahaha!" And then you just start collecting imports for that system.
    You, sir, get bonus brownie points for pulling a Doug reference
    I always loved that cartoon. It was the cartoon version of The Wonder Years.

edit: Griking, if so, I know a couple guys who would probably pay an arm and leg for it. Put it on eBay and watch it jump like crazy
    Last edited by Steven; 03-21-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow. Congrats sir! would definitely want to take a peek at your complete snes collection sometime. that is a fortune indeed
    Pls visit my retro gaming BLOG for my retro gaming collections and adventures. With photos !

http://8-bit-dreams.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking What the?

Sorry, but this is bogus. Its not complete if it didn't come all together at one time. So, start over. ha. ha. just kidding. I know what it is to finally get that game you waiting on, its a great feeling.
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Man, I've been collecting CIB SNES games since 2007. I've only seen this game "3 Ninjas Kick Back" CIB on eBay like twice... maybe 3x in the past five years. (I searched just about everyday, too).
    Did you manually search everyday or did you have saved searches set up to email you? Woulda saved alot of work. But grats.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Congrats on your collection! The SNES is a great system, you should have fun with this collection for several decades!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Complete US-only releases, right?