0 Posts

3 words: Tales of Symphonia

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    The Gamecube is the console I have the least amount of games for (4) right after the N64 (2). I was all Nintendo, all the time until the N64 came out and all the great RPGs went to the PlayStation instead. I got my black Gamecube in 2004 with the Collector's Disc, and while my favorite Mario Kart game is on it as well as my favorite fighting game (Soul Calibur II) I just never really got into it.

Really dislike the controller, almost as much as the N64 controller, both of which are probably my least favorite controllers ever. Just doesn't feel right in my hands and I really don't like the arrangement/different sizes of the buttons.

I would probably sell it if not for the Game Boy Player attachment, which I use with a RetroPort SNES adapter, and that gets more use these days than any GC game.
    The controller argument I could never understand. Honestly, I think people are partial to whatever they adjust to first, provided that the controller doesn't require them to contort their hands in an unnatural way. After using the Gamecube controller for years, I can't imagine playing Super Smash Bros. Melee any other way. I used to play that game highly competitively BTW. Same with multiplatform releases. After playing them on Gamecube, playing them on PS2 just feels wrong.

Same with the analog stick. A smooth and loose analog stick feels strange after getting used to the tightness of the Gamecube's analog stick, octagonal gate included. I remember thinking, after 5 years of using nothing but the Gamecube controller, that the Xbox 360 controller was the worst piece of crap I'd ever used. I can now go back and forth between them easily, although I'm still partial to the Gamecube controller. The only thing I like more about the Xbox 360 controller now are the superior analog triggers.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I say Woo!!!!

I was not a big fan of the N64, but I was a fan of Rogue Squadron. After reading about Rogue Sqaudron II in Next Gen magazine, I knew the Gamecube was a system I needed to own. I picked up the Indigo Gamecube, along with RSII, a couple of weeks after the system launched. Needless to say, Rogue Leader lived up to the hype and then some. I'd later purchased Metroid Prime, Twin Snakes, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, Resident Evil: RE, RE4, Rebel Strike, Wind Waker, Ikaruga, P.N. 03, Starfox Adventures and several other titles for the system. THe software selection wasn't better than the Xbox and PS2, but it was still pretty solid, especially when compared to the N64. I was fortunate enough to own a HD CRT, so the bonus of having games in progressive scan (very few titles on the PS2 supported it) was nice as well.

My only real complaint about the Gamecube, was the expensive memory cards that didn't hold much save data. It would be years later, before Nintendo released the 251 block memory cards at a decent price.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-24-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Sorry to say but I'm definitely leaning towards "Boo" for this one. My first gamecube I sold simply because the only game I ever played on it was Smash Bros Melee, and then only when my cousin was around. I HATED that game, and when he moved off to college I was like "fuck yeah I can finally get rid of this shit."
    I didn't like any of the exclusives I played to be honest. Hated Metroid Prime 1 (never played Prime 2 or 3), hated Eternal Darkness, thought Wave Race was worse than the N64 version, and so on and so forth.
    But I've got a new Cube now and I'm going to try Killer7 and the RE games at the very least, before I go dismissing the system any further.
    Killer7 isn't really considered a top game for the system. It's one of those cult favorites, however. Lots of people who have played it love it, but critically there are a lot of higher rated games for the system.

Interestingly, I didn't like Metroid Prime back in the day either. Then I saw it used at Gamestop for about $7.99 a few years ago and thought, "What the heck, why not?" Bought it, tried it again, loved it. Definitely one of the top 5 games on the system. It's the 7th highest rated game of all time for a reason :P

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    While I thought it was okay, there was much about the controller that didn't thrill me. The two stage design of the triggers (They were basically half depressed or fully depressed and were difficult to smoothly manipulate through their full range of motion for a racing game),
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The only thing I like more about the Xbox 360 controller now are the superior analog triggers.
    I never understood the dislike for the GameCube triggers. For me, the triggers are some of the best out there. Of course it always comes down to personal taste, but count me as one who likes the triggers for the GC controller.

the small d-pad (Which at least works correctly unlike every MS d-pad design), and the odd face buttons didn't do much for me.
    Fully agree with the small d-pad, but always found that most games I played that utilized the d-pad used it more for an extra button command, much like the C-buttons on the N64 controller. As for the face buttons, for me they were just like most any other controller - in other words they aren't "unnatural".

And while the WaveBird was great (And is what converted me into a fan of wireless controllers), those issues were still present in WaveBird form. And of course the WaveBird lacked rumble capabilities which was a issue in the occasional game (Albeit a minor one). And I think lacking a built in rechargable battery is a positive at this point when it has been over half a decade since they last manufactured these things. Age doesn't do rechargeable batteries any good.

I'd rather be able to pop in a new pair of AA's and be good to go for dozens of more hours. So I'd argue that decision was a positive.
    Never been a huge fan of rumble features in games, but for those that do enjoy the feedback this is a major downside.

Also, I agree with you on the AA batteries over the rechargeable option. I merely meant that with good ol' wired controllers there was no need for a battery source at all. So, with the WaveBird, that was an added cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The Gamecube versions of some games also had bugs, similar to how the PS3 and PC versions of current-gen titles have bugs, while the more popular ports did not. I remember my brand-new, scratchless copy of The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction freezing up quite a few times.
    I've never played that particular game (though I remember when it came out, and I thought it looked terrible). But I think Gamecube versions were typically less buggy, especially compared to PS2. I clearly remember reviews recommending the Gamecube versions of Sonic Heroes and Prince of Persia: Warrior Within because they had the least amount of bugs. I think either Nintendo was more strict about that sort of thing, or they had better dev tools with regards to avoiding bugs, or maybe the Gamecube just had a better implementation of Renderware or something.

I'm sure audiophiles can sense the sound difference between compressed sound on Gamecube versions and full DVD-quality sound on PS2/Xbox versions.
    Only a small number of Gamecube games have sound issues. Though the Gamecube does lack Dolby Digital support, I don't know how many PS2/Xbox games actually used that.

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    As for the face buttons, for me they were just like most any other controller - in other words they aren't "unnatural".
    I'd like the controller a lot more if the B button was shaped like the X and Y buttons.
    Last edited by j_factor; 03-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Woo for sure, where do I start. I was 17 when the Gamecube came out, so maybe I'm biased because it was the first system I got for myself and spent my own money on. I like the Xbox and love the PS2, but the Gamecube is one of my favorite systems ever. As a Star Wars fan I loved the Roque Squadron games, and as previously mentioned the games looked better on Gamecube vs PS2. I would even venture out there and say the graphics are almost as good as xbox. Smash Bros, the Mario Party games, Mario Sunshine, hell I even liked Luigi's Mansion. I really have no complaints about the Gamecube. I really enjoyed playing Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil on it. The Resident Evil remake is great, plus Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 are both really fun. I can understand people thinking it's gimmicky, but FF: Crystal Chronicles is pretty damn fun when you get 4 friends together with GBAs and the cables. I think it something everyone should experience. Time to wrap this up, I could go on and on about the Gamecube. Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda titles. For non Nintendo releases, my friend and I used to play NCAA football all the time. Couple last items, there were good Dreamcast ports on the cube, plus the Metal Gear solid remake. Ooh at the time it was the only place I could play Ikaruga without paying a lot for a Japanese Dreamcast version. Some honorable mentions, Metroid Prime, F-Zero, LOZ:Twilight Princess, Mario Superstar Baseball, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario, Soulcalibur 2(best version of the three in my opinion, Link was the coolest guest character), Viewtiful Joe and I'll even say I enjoyed Animal Crossing. So yeah, definately a WOO for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woo, for me

But Street Fighter's or Castlevania's didn't show up on the Cube

The only one was Capcom vs SNK 2 EO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never understood the dislike for the GameCube triggers. For me, the triggers are some of the best out there. Of course it always comes down to personal taste, but count me as one who likes the triggers for the GC controller.
    Well, I love the shape of them. They fit like a glove on anyone's index finger. The problem is that it's difficult to tell how far pressed they are. The angular ones on Dreamcast, Xbox, Saturn, and Xbox 360 controllers feel a lot better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another flaw not mentioned with the controller was the afterthought called a Z button. Thankfully it wasn't used much at all since it is very poorly positioned to press during gameplay.

Play many racing games? The entire point of a analog trigger for a racing game is to replicate the functions of the brake and gas pedals in a vehicle. But the very design of the GameCube's triggers with their two stage design makes them undesirable for one of the primary purposes they exist for on modern controllers in the first place. You can't smoothly manipulate them through their full range of motion. The GameCube triggers are essentially either fully depressed, half depressed, or fully released. It's almost now a digital control rather than a analog control.

Even worse than that (I've never thought analog control of braking and accelerating with a gamepad was a very effective idea, the range of motion is just too small), they're also uncomfortable for extended use. Play a racing game for a decent length of time and I suspect you'll start to find keeping the right trigger engaged uncomfortable. Never been a problem on a Microsoft controller.

Never been a huge fan of rumble features in games, but for those that do enjoy the feedback this is a major downside.
    I agree that it is a minor issue. But still it's one worth mentioning. The occasional game makes excellent use of controller rumble to enhance the experience and sometimes it is even an important feature in a game. In several 3D Zelda's, for instance, it is used as a hint system. You might be walking over a spot with an underground cavern and the controller will rumble to tell you that the ground in that area is weak so the player knows they can place a bomb to open up a passage.

You lose such features with the WaveBird.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-24-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The z-button is no more awful than the awkward bumper buttons on the 360 pad, which few people seem to mind.
    I think they're terrible, but I have pretty high standards as far as input devices are concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've never had issues with the shoulder buttons on the 360 controller. They seem to barely ever be used, but I'm at least able to easily hit them when they're needed.

And their placement sure beats the all but useless black and gray buttons on the original Xbox controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Woo to the Gamecube!
    In fact it's the only Nintendo system that I like!
    To me it feels like a cross between the N64 & the Dreamcast.
    Bought it for RE4, kept it for all the RE's and Zeldas, collecting for it for exclusives.

I love the Wavebird... If only the Dreamcast had a wireless controller that good!
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rakden
    PSN
    Rakden_Krell
    Steam
    Rakden

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Woo to the Gamecube!
    In fact it's the only Nintendo system that I like!
    To me it feels like a cross between the N64 & the Dreamcast.
    Bought it for RE4, kept it for all the RE's and Zeldas, collecting for it for exclusives.

I love the Wavebird... If only the Dreamcast had a wireless controller that good!
    Agree'd it's still one of my favorite systems. Double Dash was the pinnacle of kart racing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It does have one of the best games ever created on it - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. So it gets a WOOO on that alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I love the Gamecube...think everyone else covered the reasons why..

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It had a few games I enjoyed, but the Gamecube was mostly a 'meh' system for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A great big woo!

I really liked the Game Cube. It had one of the comfiest controllers to ever come out for a console, and it was home to a ton of great franchises. I still have fun wandering around Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker. I feel like Nintendo wasn't afraid to take chances with the cube, despite relying almost solely on their own major IPs. They gave Mario new water mechanics & a short-sleeve shirt, they turned The Legend of Zelda upside down and introduced a colorful, cartoony, cell-shaded world, and Final Fantasy came back to a Nintendo platform. Even connectivity with the GBA was an interesting (if expensive), experiment.

Kudos to the cube!
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Play many racing games?
    Nope! When it comes to racing games I prefer mine in the arcade or kart style. And maybe that's why the triggers don't bother me.