Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, is the original XBOX Retro?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool So, is the original XBOX Retro?

Original XBOX was Awesome, But collecting for it is a mix bag. Why, with so many of its full games on XBOX live... it makes it very hard to buy the hard copy for this system. And to top it off,this system get's no respect either. Anyway back to the topic, Is the XBOX retro?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

This thought hit me yesterday when I saw a lot of xbox games on ebay while searching for something else. I just noted how "old" the cover art of these particular games looked. It's like when you finally start realizing the 90s were actually long time ago...well now the 00s are further and further behind us too.

Retro to me still needs at least a decade though - or AT LEAST (in this example) a console generation between it. After the next Microsoft product is released then it might feel more natural to tab the Xbox as retro.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't consider any console that's only a generation behind 'retro', exactly. They just released a game for it's main competing platform of the time. And I'm also glad the system's library isn't held in particularly high regard, because I love getting games I want for cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I hear you about getting games cheap.This is a very good time to collect for it. I've bought games as low .75 cents and 3.00 dollars to ship. how, do they make money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't consider it retro. When were the last titles released for Xbox? 2005/2006/2007?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
    Yea, I hear you about getting games cheap.This is a very good time to collect for it. I've bought games as low .75 cents and 3.00 dollars to ship. how, do they make money?
    I've sold them for that myself. It's not about making money so much as getting rid of games that are just taking up space in your house and making them someone else's problem.

I'll NEVER just toss a game I don't want, I'd rather just give it away. I'm sure a lot of gamers feel the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I don't consider it retro. When were the last titles released for Xbox? 2005/2006/2007?
    The final Xbox release was Madden NFL '09, so 2008. Although, it's a bit of an outlier (I think it's the only Xbox release for the entire year?) and it was a surprise when it came out. The last games anyone actually cared about were released in 2006, sadly. The system was kind of unfairly cut off IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't consider any of the last gen systems(Xbox, PS2, GC) retro. Maybe in another 10 years or so. I've found that the games for it can be found pretty cheap and there aren't that many that go for more than $10 but it's more than you'd expect. I have been adding to my collection by finding Xbox games at Goodwill for $3 or $4 each, including a few sealed ones.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess everybody has there own opinion what is retro. But, to me anyway retro is when its stops in production. And you can only buy it used , unless you can still find it seal. but that don't count...Why do you have to put a time limit on it? I've look at my Xbox games and said to myself, lets play some Retro.And they already did some HD remakes on them, same with Ps2 games. Anyway, kind fun talking about the old XBOX!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Doesn't "retro" imply that it's something old that has become cool again. At least that's the way I've always interpreted it. Stating that it doesn't get any respect (from the general(gaming) public) is implying that you do not feel that it qualifies as being cool again by that definition. Not to mention that it was "replaced" by the 360 what...just 7 years ago? I wouldn't think it would be considered retro yet by that alone.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I only start considering something retro when its two console generations behind the current systems. At that time its usually been at least a decade and major retailers have long since stopped selling even the random last sports games for the system. The biggest indication though is that by the time its two generations behind people who grew up with said systems as their first look back start to look back at nostalgia on what they were playing rather then it just being another outdated system. That said the original Xbox isn't retro just yet but I am starting to see people mention this or that original Xbox game more often or actually look back on the "duke" controller fondly instead of as a big joke. lol

The original Xbox blew me away and we actually got one only a few weeks after launch because of my brother winning one is a radio contest. It blew everything we had on the PS2 outta the water graphically and some of the features like the onboard HD and breakaway cables were really cool. I remember playing DoA3 for hours just enjoying how pretty the game looked for its time and Halo was just largely the same but with a decent story and really fun gameplay. Splitscreen multiplayer in the original was some of the best times I had with my older brother so it will always be cemented in my memory for that. Unfortunately it was sold off less then a year later but I kinda wanna pick up another just to have an excuse to get steel battalion and that wicked controller that went with it.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 03-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sonoranreptile's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Madden 2009 came out for the original Xbox.......no where near retro....yet.
    A delusion made me stronger
    Yet I'm draped in pale withering flesh
    I sacrificed more than I had
    And left my woes beneath the mire
    --Opeth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So then will the Gamecube be considered retro when the Wii U is released later this year?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    So then will the Gamecube be considered retro when the Wii U is released later this year?
    I would say so.

Its last game was released in 07' apparently so 5 years without a new game and they system was released in 01' so 11 years since its inception.

Also I've friends who have more then one conversation picking up a new gamecube to dick around with Turok Evolution again like back in middle/high school...who are coming up on college graduation now so yeah I think its fair to call it retro in another year or so.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

The XBOX was my favorite system to play with my brother when we were younger, and our friends always had PS2s and thought they were better. When my friends came over to play Halo when it finally came out was a rub-it-in-your-face kind of moment . This system will always be in my heart, but as of right now retro means "before PS2" and Xbox was after, so no my awesome looking Box shaped console with a radical X on top of it somehow isn't retro yet. Think of it though, so many of the games seem retro but may I be retro gamer or not, I will always still play this console.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GameStop doesn't take Xbox trades anymore, and hasn't for a while. I think that says something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I would say not until all three next gen consoles are out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    GameStop doesn't take Xbox trades anymore, and hasn't for a while. I think that says something.
    The PC must be retro as well then.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the thing that gets me: Years before it's 10th birthday, Dreamcast was considered "classic". It was considered "classic" years before I joined these forums. It's 10th birthday has come and gone. Now, Gamecube and Xbox's 10th birthdays have come and gone, and they still aren't considered classic. In other words, they're much older now than the Dreamcast was when it was deemed "classic". Heck, I don't even think Wii was out when Dreamcast had already been deemed so.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It blew everything we had on the PS2 outta the water graphically and some of the features like the onboard HD and breakaway cables were really cool. Yea, it may not get a lot of respect..Because everybody had ps2 in those days. but as he said, it was very cool at the time. So, if cool makes it retro? Mmmmm....