Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, if you could buy all of your Retro games on one Disc, would you sell ?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow OK, if you could buy all of your Retro games on one Disc, would you sell ?

All your games, systems ect.. Again, the games would perfect copy's of them. Let's face it, its really about the games isn't? I would do it in a heartbeat, just think...all the turbo 16 games the were ever made on one disc and your playing. Some of this is already happening with Hd remakes, game collections , DLC ect. Anyway, what do you guys think?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nope, theres something about holding an individual copy of a game that cant be replicated to me. plus were talking emulation im guessing so how would you go about the controller?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, flash carts for each respective system are effectively what you are talking about and I don't see hoards of people emptying their collections after obtaining one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My response to this is a big resounding NO. It's not just about the games for me. It's about being able to play them on the hardware they were released on so I can get the most authentic experience possible (and to share said experience with my peers and complete strangers on the Internet due to the sheer number of people resorting to software emulation).

While I don't mind having the original carts or a flash cartridge, I like having authentic copies of games, and if I were to buy a flash cartridge or compilation disc, I would never sell anything I already own (not even reproduction carts I made myself). Especially not compilation discs for modern hardware due to most of them running on questionable software emulation or running on not-so-well ported versions of the original games.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-21-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

A massive collection is also harder to loose, break or steal.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I'd happily buy the disc for convenience (as most of my older consoles and games are boxed away to make room for my Xbox 360 collection), but I would NEVER give up my original collection.

To me it's more than plastic discs and cardboard boxes... it's my childhood memories. I've been collecting since I was 3 years old (29 years ago). Saving my money up, going to the store with my mum or my gran, choosing a game and taking it home, watching my collection grow... The smell of the manuals, the "click" of plugging in the cartridges or the whir of cassette tape rewinding and playing or the "tick" that 3.5 inch floppies made in my beloved Amiga, holding the appropriate controller and watching the game load is all part of the experience that a multi-select menu under emulation just can't replicate, even if the emulation was perfect.

Look at MAME for example - Playing TMNT 1989 or something NEVER gives you the same satisfaction as it did on the real arcade cabinet.

It'd be great to have the extra space, but if I did away with my collection, that empty space would have no soul any more. I know I'd always regret getting rid of a huge part of my life and my passion.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juganawt View Post
    To me it's more than plastic discs and cardboard boxes... it's my childhood memories. I've been collecting since I was 3 years old (29 years ago). Saving my money up, going to the store with my mum or my gran, choosing a game and taking it home, watching my collection grow... The smell of the manuals, the "click" of plugging in the cartridges or the whir of cassette tape rewinding and playing or the "tick" that 3.5 inch floppies made in my beloved Amiga, holding the appropriate controller and watching the game load is all part of the experience that a multi-select menu under emulation just can't replicate, even if the emulation was perfect.
    This is how I feel as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'd never sell my collection, because it's not out of the question depending on my circumstances and how much I could get for it, but for me it's not just about the actual code on the disc or cartridge.

I probably spend more time looking at box art than I do actually gaming. I spend most of my free time in my gameroom and my games are all around me, so if I'm watching television, posting replies at web forums, working at home, or cleaning, every time I look around games are the visual landscape, And I enjoy seeing them. Almost every older game is connected to a memory, and I enjoy the cultural preservation aspect of it all as well. I love seeing the way that different games, systems, companies, publishers, etc., created their packaging, labels and box art. I like thinking about how SEGA Master System games and Genesis games were sold on pegs at most retailers thanks to the hang tab (which I'm anal about having intact), as opposed to Nintendo's games (which were hung sometimes also, though hang tabs were attached to their boxes shrink wrap). I like the way that the Greatest/Platinum Hits packaging stands out against the uniformity of the other original labels which also makes me think about whether I should replace them with original print versions one day, before scuffing at how trivial it all is (though I never completely dismiss the notion). I enjoy seeing the quirks and nuances of typographical errors on cart labels and in manuals, or completely horrendous cover art for games that deserved better, or fantastic cover art for mediocre and bad games.

Of course it's mainly about the games, sure, but I have a more personal connection to the actual culture of gaming. Because I'm a part of that culture, and have been since I was 4 years old, which is essentially my entire life. I know that my purchases, conversations with other gamers, quarters spend in arcades, items on my Christmas lists, store returns, mailed in survey cards, magazine subscriptions, forum posts, ect.. helped shape the face of that industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first system was VCS, and I got NES for Christmas 1985, so I am an older gamer. That said, I do not hold a lot of emotional ties to the look or feel of the original hardware, so a single disc could just be the alternative to a massive collection.

I think it boils down to this though: How would the single disc handle special controller games like VCS Stargate and its double controller option, light gun games, Dreamcast fishing controller, or even power pad games like Stadium Events for NES? There is more to gaming than just the standard digital/analog handheld d-pad, and this is where emulation and a single disc just would not cut it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already have this, except it's a USB hard drive (two of them, actually, just for redundancy) instead of a flimsy disc, I can use any controller I wish to play any of the games, and yet I still like having at least some of my games in their original cartridge formats.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The very reason I got back into seriously collecting retro games was because there was glitch in a StarTropics ROM that made it unbeatable. Why bother with second rate copies when you can have the original goodness in your hand?

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably spend more time looking at box art than I do actually gaming. I spend most of my free time in my gameroom and my games are all around me, so if I'm watching television, posting replies at web forums, working at home, or cleaning, every time I look around games are the visual landscape, And I enjoy seeing them.... I wish game company's would understand this too.But, sadly its about the mighty dollar. that's why we are headed if you like it or not to DLC! Sadly, a lot of new gamers won't have this feeling. I do believe games are a art form and also is collecting. But, really you can't collect all the systems,[ well, I guess you can ] your house would be full. And it would be nice to have this option? As for the guy who said what about gun games and ect.. Well 90% of the games could get to work with a reg controller with a little configuring. .
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I did exactly this about a decade ago so yes for me, I guess!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

If your suggesting something like 100% to original hardware along with support for old controllers, preferals, etc. then yeah I probably would.

I enjoy the nostalgia of having my games on a shelf along with their individual systems but really its about the games, I play old games because I enjoy them not primarily for nostalgia. Besides nothing lasts forever, with just a disc or a drive or whatever I can ensure that I keep playing my old games for as long as I want with multiple backups encase something happens like a break in or a flood or whatever. Thousands and thousands of dollars locked into old plastic and slowly rotting discs is in no way more secure then easily transferable data. Whats lost through lack of physical hardware is more then made up for with ease of use IMO.

(Not an endorsement of current PC distribution practices AT ALL. I just want an .exe for the game I paid for not to log online to X service and not to check online every 10 minutes to check weather I stole the game or not)

However since we don't live in an ideal world and emulation is never perfect I will happily enjoy my old plastic and rotting discs for as long as they last.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

NOPE. Never. My dad has about every emulator, and he copied the games for Dreamcast from his friend's real Dreamcast CDs but I just can't get into it, even if I'm playing my absolute favorite game. For me it's the real thing or nothing. Plus sometimes it isn't even the satisfaction of playing the game (that's still a big part of it) but it's the satisfaction of finding a great deal on the game, or searching for months then finally finding the game, or trying to collect each game one by one. If I couldn't do that, then I can't be a collector, and in turn, most of the fun will disappear. Also there is just something special about holding the real game in my hands and saying "wow I got this game and didn't just download a ROM."

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the reasons I collect Megadrive over Genesis or PC Engine instead of T16 is because I absolutely love the artwork and full colour manuals they come with.
    So for me it's not just about the games, it's also about the media surrounding them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would if I had to. If I moved somewhere else and space became a concern, sure. My nostalgia comes from the memory of the games themselves and of the experiences I had with them and with others through them. Cartridges and manuals and things like that can be interesting, but that's not why I love gaming. And thanks to the hard work of many people who love these old games just as much as I do I'm now able to play them anywhere, on just about anything, forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd gladly take the infinity-disc alongside my physical collection, but I would never part with my physical carts, controllers, and systems for such a Disc.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-23-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe, if I were forced to live in someone's closet out of necessity and couldn't keep my belongings anymore. Just to save space in general though? No way. I'd miss my cloth maps, art books, deluxe art boxes, soundtrack cds and making of features. I also enjoy reading a paper manual. They are part of the game to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you mean like how I could have all the roms on my hard drive? lol

Hell no! Half the fun of collecting games is the collecting part. Playing is the other half. Both are important to me.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

No.

Part of the activity of playing games is selecting the next game to play. I have grown up doing this by walking around arcades to choose the next cabinet, or by swapping carts or discs. (and yes, by flipping a switch on a paddle machine, but let's not count that)
    Navigating a menu of countless games is not conducive to satisfying my gaming fix.