Thread: Capcom Says : Resident Evil needs to be more action and less survival horror

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Capcom Says : Resident Evil needs to be more action and less survival horror

http://www.shacknews.com/article/730...th-says-capcom

Anyone else read this article and get enraged? Maybe its just me, but this is the stuff in the game industry that pisses me off to no end. The almighty dollar once again supersedes creative integrity. It seems like more and more developers are ditching what made their games great in the first place, ignoring the bulk of their fans in order to gain more customers in the casual market. I understand developers need to make money, but at what cost? It makes me even more enraged that it needs to compete with Call of Duty. Call of Duty sells so well because it caters to a what now is majority...casual gamers. So are Survival Horror games another great genre like turn-based RPG's and Platformers to slowly disappear into the background? This is one of the biggest reasons why I love to still play my retro games. 80% of your "blockbuster" titles now a days are all FPS's or a game based around shooting things aimlessly. I loved Resident Evil when you had to think, solve puzzles, be smart about your ammo usage, all while fending off the undead. Now its moving into the "been there, done that" territory. It really reminds of of Hollywood. Movies used to be an art form, but now those types of movies are long gone. Now I have to suffer having my childhood cartoons, or my favorite book butchered on the big screen.

Anywho... /end rant
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil has been a brain dead action series since RE4.
    I couldn't care less what they do with it.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I didn't read the article. I'm also not that big into the RE franchise, the last one I played for any amount of time was RE:CV on DC.

As for RE being more action in the vein of something like CoD and that's how the series will be from now on...I can't completely see that. Given how the games are now, it's like comparing a motorcycle to a tugboat. Both are methods of transportation but one is a briskly moving vehicle and the other chugs along at it's own pace. If they were saying that the RE franchise needs to be more action in the vein of contemporary titles like Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, and The Last of Us by Naughty Dog, then I'd agree. I wouldn't want to lose the shock value/pop scares as well as gameplay elements like conserving ammunition but I would be more than happy to see things like "find the seal for a statue so a key will pop out and move a pair of statues in a police station onto the correct squares to open a damn door" go the hell away.

Now I do realize the L4D series is a FPS like CoD but I think a game like that with the RE mythos would be just fine as a departure series rather than supplanting the original (no idea if the latest RE release that just came out is like that or not...like I said, I don't keep up with the franchise). It's not like Capcom hasn't done departure games for their franchises before, RE included, and I don't think it would be so horrible if a departure title garnered as much success as the original game series did, it's certainly worked for Mario's Kart and Party game series. Heck, you'd think that plumber's surname was Dugger with as many departure games that have been released with his name on them.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as they let me run and shoot at the same time I don't care what they do to the series. And since Resident Evil 6 will be the first edition in the main series to let me do just that they already have my money.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE needs more action, like we need more crappy horror movies on Syfy.

Japan always used to be the trendsetter for video games, like Square was for RPGs. The fact that Western games like MW3 are dominating right now....well, IN the Western markets has scared the hell out of Japan devs since PS2 or so. Capcom used to be the numero uno, the big cheese, the head honcho, the king, the be-all-end-all of zombie games. Now they are becoming irrelevant in an ambush uprising on undead games and they're answer seems to be sticking their arm out and saying "make me like you." To that I say, why not mummies? Mummies are cool. Mummies are fun to shoot too. Heck, mummies have bandages you can noose and rope the foolish living. They even come with little curses, hexes, spells, and what not, so they've already got a leg up on modern hordes already. Let's not forget treasure! Them pyramids have gold in them. (A nice Uncharted angle to boot.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Capcom can you just please stop falling on banana peels and rakes everywhere you go?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil 5 sold better than any previous game in the series. They're just giving the people what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/730...th-says-capcom

Anyone else read this article and get enraged?
    I read the article and saw that the series producer said that the main entries in the series need to continue down the path of action, and that there should be additional entries that deal with the atmospheric elements that appeal to fans of the original.

No rage here sir.

As much as I enjoy and have fond memories of RE 1-3, RE 4 is still my favorite modern action/adventure game and I had a fantastic time playing through RE 5 multiple times with friends so I have absolutely no ill will towards those entries.

I haven't finished Revelations, but I think it's VERY good for a portable entry.

I don't have any emotional attachments to mansions and traditional Romero-style zombies, so I'm looking forward to whatever Capcom does with the series, so far I've enjoyed far more than I haven't so they can keep going as far as I'm concerned.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

As a casual RE dabbler (at best) - I thought the series hit its nadir with Code Veronica (on Dreamcast). That game was - to me - the absolute highpoint of the survival horror genre. I think that'd be fine, at this point, if they go more action oriented if they wanted to considering it's been at least a decade or so since the series was really on top of the gaming world.

That said - I'm sure a traditional survival game could do just fine in this market, but who is willing to take the risk? We all see where the Silent Hill series is going and sadly RE seems ready to join (although the 3DS game was a nice title). Maybe the TC is onto something, maybe if RE is to survive the long run, it needs to go back to its roots a lot more...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    That said - I'm sure a traditional survival game could do just fine in this market, but who is willing to take the risk?
    I think that Frictional made a pretty damn good case that survival horror still has relevance in modern gaming; it did extremely well for a PC-only indie title. If Capcom managed to pull off something like that in the mainstream big-budget console sector, I could see it catching on in a way that Call of Duty with Zombies probably won't. They might make a good game and it might do well, but genuinely scary games are infectious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

I'm done with Capcom for the most part. The last Capcom game I bought was the CE of MvC3, and I was pretty pissed when they announced a new $30 version a few months later with extra content. I'm not surprised they're trying to fuck up RE to appeal to the casual masses. If their objective is to alienate their biggest fans, then they're well on the way to succeeding.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

at this point i dont even give a fuck anymore, im willing to settle and meet them halfway, they could turn resident evil into a point and click adventure game using only the xbox kinect as the control medium and have everyone speaking in french accents....i just want a return to the original umbrella/birkin/wesker/raccoon city storyline, i want to find notes all over the place and fight bow's not some pussy ass ancient parasite
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Resident Evil has been a brain dead action series since RE4.
    I couldn't care less what they do with it.
    Except for the fact that 4 was still survival horror in certain parts. Don't get me wrong, it's still mostly action, but it was made so well it can be forgiven. I love mikami's work.

Now 5 is where it really went to shit. There's a reason the main people behind the series don't work at CAPCOM any longer.

I guess CAPCOM wants the call of duty crowd and is trying to reach a larger audience.

CAPCOM has been dead for a long time now anyway so this isn't news to anyone. Nothing they say or do would surprise me at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate Call of Duty and 99% of FPS titles like it with a fiery passion. But obviously the rest of the world disagrees with me.

So we're gonna be stuck with more shitty R.E. titles that bear little resemblance to the great original RE's.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Capcom already has an action-oriented Resident Evil. It's called Devil May Cry.

Oh wait, they're ruining that series too.

I gotta be honest though, it's kind of inevitable. Capcom's going the way Sierra On-Line went, and like Sierra, selling out and trying to cater to a larger audience will end up being their downfall. But once they're dead, I hope people forget about their shitty decisions late in life and remember them only as the company that brought us so many classic games like Ghosts n' Goblins and Legendary Wings.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I'll say it right now: If 6 is anything like that steaming pile they call ORC then I'm out, period. This coming from a fan who has been playing since 1 was first released and has been collecting the series. They want to go CoD style? Fine, I don't play CoD and I won't play their new direction either if that's the case. They say from TFA that the numbered releases can "keep their identity" but I'll believe that when I see it.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm pretty upset about ORC. I'm so disgusted by everything (bad lighting, bad camera, horrible controls, awful AI, a ton of on-disc DLC, having to buy a multiplayer mode day 1 after paying full price for the game already) in that game I don't think I can even finish it.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Resident Evil 5 sold better than any previous game in the series. They're just giving the people what they want.
    I'm guilty of buying 2 copies of RE5 and none of it's previous installments. But I didn't buy it for the survival horror, I was just starving for cooperative multiplayer.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I'm guilty of buying 2 copies of RE5 and none of it's previous installments. But I didn't buy it for the survival horror, I was just starving for cooperative multiplayer.

omg...i think i just realized i did the exact same thing lol

i've owned or played every resident evil before 5, but they were all purchased at pawnshops, ebay or i just outright bootlegged, 5 is the only one i've legitmately purchased new, and i bought the collectors edition at that, then lost it inside of a yellow lit ps3 and ended up buying it again

.....what in gods name have i done
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

When is the special turbo championship platinum edition of ORC coming out? I bet all the problems will be fixed and it'll kick ass! Yeah!
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the older Resident Evils, and generally enjoy the newer ones too. That said, if Capcom keeps shooting themselves in the foot like this, soon they will be walking on leg-stumps. See also: Hank Hill's dad.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 03-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.