Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective HD - Kickstarter!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective HD - Kickstarter!

Remember that old Sherlock Holmes game on the Sega CD? Remember its grainy video and somewhat odd gameplay? What if I told you the original developer wants to release it in HD, for PC, Mac, iOS and Android?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-adventure-mys

There's lots of different tiers to choose from, too, ranging from DRM free versions of all nine episodes to being included in the game to super rare board games.

The best part is, David Marsh owns the rights to the OTHER classic Icom games he worked in, including Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited - including the Shadowgate sequels that were never made. If this gets funded then there's a good chance the other games will follow behind.

I intend to donate the minimum $9 sometime in the future. How about you?
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 03-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive always been skeptical about these kickstarter pages.....if it never happens, do you get ur money back? I donated $20 towards an unreleased album to be released, and its been about 3 years since....

Of course this seems like a more professional endeavor, and its Sega CD. Ill put 9 smackarinos towards it!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Wasn't this game released on the PC? I'm pretty sure I have this, but haven't got around to playing it yet. I think I have the sequels for it too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rakden
    PSN
    Rakden_Krell
    Steam
    Rakden

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Ive always been skeptical about these kickstarter pages.....if it never happens, do you get ur money back? I donated $20 towards an unreleased album to be released, and its been about 3 years since....

Of course this seems like a more professional endeavor, and its Sega CD. Ill put 9 smackarinos towards it!
    You don't get charged until its funded so it's sort of legit. It's still sort of a gamble but I'd rather gamble on games than poker. I've done a couple.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If they re-do the game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman I'll play through it again!

Otherwise, no thanks.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Wasn't this game released on the PC? I'm pretty sure I have this, but haven't got around to playing it yet. I think I have the sequels for it too.
    Yes it was, but that was for DOS and it was grainy as hell.

The video footage would be converted from the originals at the highest quality possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If they re-do the game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman I'll play through it again!

Otherwise, no thanks.
    Who's the zombie next to Arthur Dent?
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 03-26-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Volume 1 was actually released on DVD and has, obviously, the best quality out of all of the releases. Oddly enough, somehow, the cleaner video now makes the acting even more cheesy to me lol. Here's my video for it on YouTube:

Still, I, too, would love to see this in HD especially for the more rare volume 3 of the series. I also see that David Marsh worked on the DVD version of Dracula Unleashed and would like to bring that out as well...thumbs up!
    Last edited by LiquidPolicenaut; 03-26-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You had me with Sherlock Holmes, then lost me with all this interactive-FMV garbage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Pretty interesting, I'm a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories and adaptations. I haven't actually played these outside of testing the Sega CD game but it's on my list. Though I'd almost rather them redo it with animations in the style of the poster artwork they show on the site....or does "Recapturing the video" mean they're refilming it?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post

I don't understand Kickstarter and similar projects at all. People basically want total strangers to finance their business that they will profit from and in return I get some totally shitty "reward" for giving you free money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Pretty interesting, I'm a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories and adaptations. I haven't actually played these outside of testing the Sega CD game but it's on my list. Though I'd almost rather them redo it with animations in the style of the poster artwork they show on the site....or does "Recapturing the video" mean they're refilming it?
    No, they're taking the original video footage, and capturing it in higher quality with modern hardware - so it looks cleaner and not compressed to hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    I don't understand Kickstarter and similar projects at all. People basically want total strangers to finance their business that they will profit from and in return I get some totally shitty "reward" for giving you free money?
    Well it worked for Double Fine, and it's worked for other causes. If you think it's worth it, then you donate. If you don't, then you don't.

That "shitty" reward is worthless to you. It's not to some people. And that's it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Although I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms, that's sort of accurate. I personally have supported the Double Fine and the Wasteland project, but I'm starting to get burnt out on these the more of them that pop up. In this case, as someone already pointed out, a DVD release already exists, so I don't understand the urgency or frankly the need to raise $55K. It seems like they could do the necessary video work for a few thousand dollars (you can literally get a lab to do an HD transfer from film for a few thousand dollars with color correction, there is no crazy restoration that has to happen here like with a classic film that has deteriorated or something), drop the new visuals into the existing code and just sell the enhanced version to recoup their costs and probably make a healthy profit which they could then use to pay for the Android and iOS versions.

There are interesting legal ramifications to all this and oddly, if these companies tried to solicit investment from total strangers, they couldn't do it without some very detailed prospectus documents and filing with the SEC and state authorities. Even then they couldn't take money from just anyone. Because they aren't providing anyone with a profit share or a security interest in the company, they can basically take everyone's money (subject to taxation) and do with it what they will. I suspect that at some point a developer is going to get in over their head and not deliver and this whole funding mechanism is going to come crashing down. I do agree with you though that it's getting to the point where developers that can actually afford to take some risks are just relying on crowd funding to finance commercial ventures which likely will be profitable making the process completely risk free for them. I don't know that Kickstarter or any other tool should be used in that way as I feel like the intention was to help non-profits and other ventures that benefit society, not to do an end run around normal business financing techniques and legal regulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love a 32X CD version that makes use of the 32X palette.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Although I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms, that's sort of accurate. I personally have supported the Double Fine and the Wasteland project, but I'm starting to get burnt out on these the more of them that pop up. In this case, as someone already pointed out, a DVD release already exists, so I don't understand the urgency or frankly the need to raise $55K. It seems like they could do the necessary video work for a few thousand dollars (you can literally get a lab to do an HD transfer from film for a few thousand dollars with color correction, there is no crazy restoration that has to happen here like with a classic film that has deteriorated or something), drop the new visuals into the existing code and just sell the enhanced version to recoup their costs and probably make a healthy profit which they could then use to pay for the Android and iOS versions.

There are interesting legal ramifications to all this and oddly, if these companies tried to solicit investment from total strangers, they couldn't do it without some very detailed prospectus documents and filing with the SEC and state authorities. Even then they couldn't take money from just anyone. Because they aren't providing anyone with a profit share or a security interest in the company, they can basically take everyone's money (subject to taxation) and do with it what they will. I suspect that at some point a developer is going to get in over their head and not deliver and this whole funding mechanism is going to come crashing down. I do agree with you though that it's getting to the point where developers that can actually afford to take some risks are just relying on crowd funding to finance commercial ventures which likely will be profitable making the process completely risk free for them. I don't know that Kickstarter or any other tool should be used in that way as I feel like the intention was to help non-profits and other ventures that benefit society, not to do an end run around normal business financing techniques and legal regulation.
    1: Yes, that's the point. $55 K isn't just for kicks, programmers don't come cheap... especially for four different platforms.

2: Project Zomboid.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Who's the zombie next to Arthur Dent?
    Benedict Cumberbatch!

Arguably the best actor to play Holmes since Jeremy Brett!

If you like Sherlock Holmes I implore you to watch this series.

There are only 6 episodes (spanning 2 seasons) so far, but it's an AMAZING modern-day take on the mythology.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

In this case, as someone already pointed out, a DVD release already exists, so I don't understand the urgency or frankly the need to raise $55K. It seems like they could do the necessary video work for a few thousand dollars (you can literally get a lab to do an HD transfer from film for a few thousand dollars with color correction,
    That's sortof the same range they give...
    Recapturing the video/editing - $2000 each (x8 games) = $16,000
    It's interesting though that $19,000 of the $55,000 they're trying to raise is going to taxes, fees, and to pay for all the rewards they're giving to donors.

$36,000 is still a huge chunk of money but not impossible to self fund. Especially looking at only $4500 per game(story?). In reality though, this is probably acting as not only a free way to get funding for the project as others have suggested, but also a free way to test if will be a market for it when it's done...otherwise, if it was self funded, it may had been a complete waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Benedict Cumberbatch!

Arguably the best actor to play Holmes since Jeremy Brett!

If you like Sherlock Holmes I implore you to watch this series.

There are only 6 episodes (spanning 2 seasons) so far, but it's an AMAZING modern-day take on the mythology.
    QFT. I love the BBC interpretation. For as much as the stories are updated, they still hold to the spirit of the originals. The portrayal of Watson also feels much closer to the stories than most of the "stout & bumbling" interpretations we've gotten over the past 100 years. Though Jude Laws was fairly close as well.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem I have with it is people are asking for what is essentially free money so that they can start a business and then profit off that business. They're not asking for investors who will see a return on their investment, they're asking for free money and giving out t-shirts or some other nonsense. I'm not singling out this project in particular, I've seen links to all sorts of things where people want money to buy the machinery needed to start their business. It's just a sign of this self-entitled society we're living in in America today. If these were non-profit ventures, that is one thing, but if I'm giving money to help someone start a profitable business, I should get a return on my investment if they're successful. Otherwise me and other strangers are taking all the financial risk of starting the company while they have absolutely nothing to lose, but everything to gain. It's completely backwards.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The problem I have with it is people are asking for what is essentially free money so that they can start a business and then profit off that business. They're not asking for investors who will see a return on their investment, they're asking for free money and giving out t-shirts or some other nonsense. I'm not singling out this project in particular, I've seen links to all sorts of things where people want money to buy the machinery needed to start their business. It's just a sign of this self-entitled society we're living in in America today. If these were non-profit ventures, that is one thing, but if I'm giving money to help someone start a profitable business, I should get a return on my investment if they're successful. Otherwise me and other strangers are taking all the financial risk of starting the company while they have absolutely nothing to lose, but everything to gain. It's completely backwards.
    I wouldn't say it's about being "self-entitled" whatever that means, but I do agree with you that it sort of goes against the free market principle of taking a risk as an entrepreneur and then either failing or profiting as a result of your risk taking and hard work. As I noted earlier, there are significant legal barriers to you seeing a return on investment from a Kickstarter or Indiegogo pledge. I understand there has been some legislation in Congress to get around those barriers, but it's stalled as of now. It's possible that projects of this type could be done on a micro-lending type model where the donors are the lenders and a reasonable interest rate is attached, but I am guessing these developers won't want anyone to have legal recourse if they fail.

Ultimately, I think this whole funding mechanism is going to go away as more and more of these projects will pop up and fewer and fewer will be fully funded and then finally one that is well funded will result in the release of either a broken or just plain bad game and the glow will be gone for good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I thought the whole idea of Kickstarter was "I just have to see this guys low budget zombie movie he's been dreaming of making! Here's $20 to help him out." Same with games, someone comes up with some awesome idea for a game that other people get excited about but probably has no real chance of seeing the light of day without some sort of funding. These established developers that already have contacts in the industry and could go a more traditional funding route do seem to be stepping over the line a bit. On the other hand though, it probably puts croudfunding in better light when they actually have people completing their projects...to pad their success stories as it were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I thought the whole idea of Kickstarter was "I just have to see this guys low budget zombie movie he's been dreaming of making! Here's $20 to help him out." Same with games, someone comes up with some awesome idea for a game that other people get excited about but probably has no real chance of seeing the light of day without some sort of funding. These established developers that already have contacts in the industry and could go a more traditional funding route do seem to be stepping over the line a bit. On the other hand though, it probably puts croudfunding in better light when they actually have people completing their projects...to pad their success stories as it were.
    Even successful developers can't get funding these days. Why did the Double Fine kickstarter come to exist to begin with? A lot of people decided to help with that because of Psychonauts (and despite Brutal Legend, haha).

Contacts mean nothing to the people who actually handle the money. So devs take this to the people who'll actually PLAY the games.