Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next PlayStation may be called Orbis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

What matters most is what class of AMD Southern Islands GPU the PS4 GPU is based on. There's a huge range. So basicly, we still know nothing about PS4 "Orbis".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

A few more arguments against the banning of used games and pure digital distribution

1) This can very well kill social gaming in person - or at least hamper it. Instead of taking games over to other people's places, now you'll have to drag the whole console over. Different people own different games, be prepared to swap consoles in and out. So much for the ease and convenience of digital distribution there...

2) If we are required to be connected to the internet at all times - what happens when the network is down? Is the console a brick everytime during network outages?

3) How about years after the console is done? Tell me - how many online games are even still supported on the PS2 - not many. How about Dreamcast? Pretty much zero, at least with official support. Are we to rely on Sony or any other company who puts this into effect to make sure these games are still playable 5-10-20-30 years or more down the road... People still play the Atari 2600, people still play the NES. These systems may leave very little legacy in this new age.

4) The collector market would likely go away entirely. Limited Edition would matter a lot less. "Rare" games wouldn't really matter much anymore. Collectability of games would go down drastically. The devaluation of the product, once purchased, would be an enormous drop off - something the likes of which has probably never been seen in our economy. Who else could say something, anything, purchased for $60 could be worth so little once used...

I think a possible solution that may satisfy any company seriously looking to do this is to have a window for new games - say 3-6 months or maybe even a year. After this window, all bets are off and the game can be sold and played by anyone at anytime...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

No company wants to be the first one to go download only, but it will happen. I think there should be some sort of offline mode, just to account for outages.

The thing is, playing retro games is a very niche market. Companies never consider future accessibility because they either want you to be playing their new games or downloading them through their distribution channels.

Still, there has to be preservation out there. Collectors are already working with such a small amount of material to preserve, even only twenty/thirty years after they were made. Imagine how little of 1980's computer history wouldn't exist by the 2060's or 2070's if people didn't try to actively catalog and collect a seemingly unimportant part of history.
    Last edited by Tupin; 03-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by thegamezmaster View Post
    Amen! Glad I've got so many retro consoles! Or just play what I have and say screw 'em!
    When I look at it I could probably play retro games 24-7 and still not finish everything I want to finish before I die. I guess this gives me an excuse to stop the viscous cycle of keeping up with systems
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I think they are gambling that a majority of people will but games new. That these are the customers they want to sell the consoles to and those who buy used games will have to buy an activation code which will cost how much??? the same price as the new game???
    Then they might as well shoot themselves in the foot with a bazooka. I bet dollars to donuts, if this "no used game" idea were implemented right now today, a good chunk of their sales will instantly evaporate since they don't realize their consumer base can't afford $60 without used games cause trade-in's pay a significant portion of the expense.

And as an unintended consequence, many gamers will either be put off or turn to piracy. How ironic.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 03-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    And as an unintended consequence, many gamers will either be put off or turn to piracy. How ironic.
    While I'm not entirely convinced any of this is true, assuming it is for the sake of argument, I don't get why this isn't a more common idea. It seems empirically provable that piracy increases in conjunction with other desirable exploits since it usually comes as a side effect of other less damaging goals. Back in the PlayStation days, modchips became a big deal for imports. The PS3 was pretty much left alone until it became open season after OtherOS's removal. It seems like you can stave off extreme cases of focused attacks on the integrity of your console (thereby reducing the odds of a massive piracy outbreak early on) by giving people just a little bit of freedom. If you give a little freedom most people smart enough to crack the machine will be satisfied with the status quo. But give them nearly no freedom and they join in a concentrated effort to engineer complete freedom. It's a matter of picking your battles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony needs to do whatever they can to keep the cost of the PS4 down and if that means taking out BC and using off the shelf processors and graphics from AMD or whoever, they should do it. They can't release another console at $500-600 again, it'll be the PS3 launch all over again. I also firmly believe that any console manufacturer that tries to restrict the use of used games and/or comes out with a digital only system will be committing suicide right out of the gates. Digital downloading is fine for older retro games that cost $5 and are small files that download quickly and don't take up much room on your hard drive. However, when I'm paying $60 for a modern title like Uncharted 3 for example, I want a physical copy. I don't wanna pay $60, then wait 3 hours for the file to download and install and take up several gigs on my drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath View Post
    Downloads will never be "used", and missing that whole aspect will result in higher priced games.
    The crazy thing is, companies like Steam and Amazon PC downloads and GamersGate will have some huge PC games on sale for $5 here and there. I've gotten my best ever values in gaming by being a PC gamer. As long as you're patient, every single PC game will end up on sale for $5. Of course, this is Steam we are talking about. This is Amazon PC downloads.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft aren't going to have those kinds of sales. Here is a list of games that I've bought for 5 bucks since building a gaming PC:

Bulletstorm
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Darksiders
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    Just Cause 2
    Dead Space 1
    Dead Space 2
    Mass Effect 1
    Mass Effect 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
    Modern Warfare 2
    Fallout 3 GOTY
    NBA 2K11
    Assassin's Creed
    Far Cry 2
    Civ IV

All those games were big time games when they first came out. Sure, when I finally ended up getting them, most of them were one year old, sometimes more than a year old, when I got them for 5 bucks, but Bulletstorm wasn't even a full year old. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, at the time I bought it, was barely a year old, if that. Dead Space 2 was barely a year old when I got it. Red Faction: Guerilla and Just Cause 2 were slightly less than 1 year old when I got them. I can't even imagine these games costing only 5 bucks on a Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo platform. It's just not going to happen. Look at Xbox Live Marketplace, or look at PSN. You just don't see games for 5 bucks. If you do, those games are not the AAA tentpole release games. They are smaller, bite sized games. The lowest you'll see a legitimate, bit time game, is maybe $9.99, and that is a VERY rare event. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft just don't understand the concept of temporarily slashing the prices 75 percent on a handful of games, and constantly rotating the sales. Steam understands it. Amazon PC downloads understands it. GamersGate, sometimes understand it.

Maybe it's a case of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft being such huge companies, that they don't feel the need to have to mark their stuff down to really low prices, to drive a buying frenzy. Maybe they feel it's better to keep the prices artificially inflated, because the sheeplike consumer masses will eventually get used to it. Why cater to a smaller population of cheapo gamers that only wait for super discounts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The crazy thing is, companies like Steam and Amazon PC downloads and GamersGate will have some huge PC games on sale for $5 here and there. I've gotten my best ever values in gaming by being a PC gamer. As long as you're patient, every single PC game will end up on sale for $5. Of course, this is Steam we are talking about. This is Amazon PC downloads.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft aren't going to have those kinds of sales. Here is a list of games that I've bought for 5 bucks since building a gaming PC:

Bulletstorm
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Darksiders
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    Just Cause 2
    Dead Space 1
    Dead Space 2
    Mass Effect 1
    Mass Effect 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
    Modern Warfare 2
    Fallout 3 GOTY
    NBA 2K11
    Assassin's Creed
    Far Cry 2
    Civ IV

All those games were big time games when they first came out. Sure, when I finally ended up getting them, most of them were one year old, sometimes more than a year old, when I got them for 5 bucks, but Bulletstorm wasn't even a full year old. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, at the time I bought it, was barely a year old, if that. Dead Space 2 was barely a year old when I got it. Red Faction: Guerilla and Just Cause 2 were slightly less than 1 year old when I got them. I can't even imagine these games costing only 5 bucks on a Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo platform. It's just not going to happen. Look at Xbox Live Marketplace, or look at PSN. You just don't see games for 5 bucks. If you do, those games are not the AAA tentpole release games. They are smaller, bite sized games. The lowest you'll see a legitimate, bit time game, is maybe $9.99, and that is a VERY rare event. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft just don't understand the concept of temporarily slashing the prices 75 percent on a handful of games, and constantly rotating the sales. Steam understands it. Amazon PC downloads understands it. GamersGate, sometimes understand it.

Maybe it's a case of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft being such huge companies, that they don't feel the need to have to mark their stuff down to really low prices, to drive a buying frenzy. Maybe they feel it's better to keep the prices artificially inflated, because the sheeplike consumer masses will eventually get used to it. Why cater to a smaller population of cheapo gamers that only wait for super discounts?
    I have physical PC copies of most of those titles and I got them all for under $10 each at Half-Price Books.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So heres some good news for the PS4/Orbis. Sony will allow full PS3 backwards compatible support on the new system via Gaikai. No word on rather you will be able to use your current game disc or have to play download versions but I think this is a nice step in the right direction for the PS4. Hopefully they will reveal alittle more about this next week.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Interesting if true, provides at least some solution to backwards compatibility while at the same time dropping the Cell in favor of more standard hardware. Definitely not ideal for everyone but something is better then nothing, I hope however to have hardware emulation for both PS1 and PS2 games. I know its a long shot considering how PSN released seemed to have worked for them but its a feature I'ed want to have regardless. The only real negative is I could see Sony tying it to PS+ instead of an innate feature of PSN. Would be nice for those with a connection for consistent streaming but with my connection I'm just going to keep my PS3.

Anyone seen shots of the new controller prototype yet? I kinda like it, looks chunkier and the concave/convex sticks look like they could accommodate both schools of thought. I really hope that the D-pad is modeled after the Vita's as it seems, seriously the best D-pad I've used yet by far. I'm at a loss to how move functionality is going to work on a single non-splitting controller in any meaningful way. Not too sure about the touch screen/pad either but willing to try new things, make me very interested to see what Microsoft is doing for the Nextbox controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The D-Pad looks better....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What would really be better is if Sony would come up with some of their own ideas instead of swiping everything from Nintendo. First they take the idea of a motion control "wand" (it's not a Wiimote, we swear!) and now they take the idea of having a touch screen on the controller? Oy. There's nothing wrong with borrowing as long as you're honest enough to admit what you're doing which, as far as I know, Sony is not.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    What would really be better is if Sony would come up with some of their own ideas instead of swiping everything from Nintendo. First they take the idea of a motion control "wand" (it's not a Wiimote, we swear!) and now they take the idea of having a touch screen on the controller? Oy. There's nothing wrong with borrowing as long as you're honest enough to admit what you're doing which, as far as I know, Sony is not.
    I think it's speculative to say whether they took the touchscreen idea from Nintendo or not. Look around next time you're in public. *Really* look. When I'm in the lobby at school, when I'm at my daughter's ballet class, everyone around me has some kind of touchscreen device, either an iPhone, an iPad, iPod, or some kind of Android equivalent. The ballet studio even has free wifi, so we all sit there on our devices idling time away. Nintendo adopting a touchscreen on the Wii U certainly helped push them over the edge I'm sure, but touchscreen devices are everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii U is nothing but a ripoff of PS3+Vita.
    Why can't Nintendo be honest about their idea thievery!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Sony already had the move idea with the Eye Toy on the PS2. There were games where you could block balls and punch items using your hands. Sony didn't do anything with it until they decided to bring out the move using the same camera.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

With the new touch pad, if you think about it, it might work with FPS' better than anything else as it may as well be a mouse on the PS4 controller. Let's say you're playing a FPS and the touch pad as your camera movement instead of the right analog. You press any location and move your finger over a bit while holding down, and then just stop, you'd turn specifically that distance and stop. It definitely would be an uncomfortable way to play due to touch pad location, but it would control better that way, PC like, than how analog sticks do.

If Uncharted 4 came out on the PS4, pressing down on the pad would have Drake pull out a grenade and the target would show on screen. Dragging your finger on the screen would have him aim for it to be thrown closer or further back, up and down, and what direction, left or right.

Gameplay would obviously be on a game by game basis, but just some ways I think it'll be used.

I think adding Move support to the system and controller from day one is a good idea as well. It'll receive more support since it's a part of the system rather than an accessory.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hope there's a SKU without cameras and other extraneous crap.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sony's new Playstation tagline should be "PS4. Watching you 24/7."
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I really hope there's a SKU without cameras and other extraneous crap.
    I'm betting that both Microsoft and Sony have all their extra motion controls bundled with each system from the start in order to avoid fragmenting the user base. But the good news is that motion controls will likely still be optional for most of the games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.