Thread: GBA-AGS 101 Screen Vs DS Lite Screen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default GBA-AGS 101 Screen Vs DS Lite Screen

Which screen looks better playing GBA Games the GBA-AGS 101 or the DS lite. I'm playing GBA games on my DS lite and was wondering if I should buy a GBA-AGS 101 to play the games. Is there any difference in blurring, brightness or color on either?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know what system that code refers to.

But if it's the backlit revision of the SP, the screen is of similar quality to that on the DS Lite. Never noticed any differences between the two and they're my two most played handhelds even to this day.

That said, I play my GBA games on my backlit SP. I don't like that they extend beyond the system on the Lite, nor do I like the button mapping for GBA games on the DS. I would much prefer GBA B being mapped to Y on the DS and GBA A being mapped to B on the DS.

Yet Nintendo felt compelled to have the letters match rather than making things as playable as possible. Not even a option in the dashboard to change button mapping for GBA software. But if you're happy playing GBA software on your Lite and your only reason for considering a backlit SP is the screen, I'd say don't bother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is the battery life better on the backlit GBA SP then the DS Lite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes AGS-101 is a backlit SP. Easy to identify model not too scarce in America. Astounding brightness level change over AGS-001. Must be seen to truly appreciate. Key benefit is for Metroid Zero Mission or similar dark background games. Let alone the maligned infamous AGB-001... Backlit SP should be on par with DS Lite, original SP comparable to DS.

Rare in Europe however. (limited release some countries may not have gotten)

Even weirder how backlit SP apparently reached China yet NOT Japan. What the heck Nintendo? I believe this is its backlit iQue model and packaging:
    http://www.csmodel.com/gq001.htm
    Lum fan.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Backlit SP should be on par with DS Lite, original SP comparable to DS.
    I wouldn't say that, the original DS is way better than the original SP. I have both and there's a big difference between them, I actually have a backlit SP too and it's pretty close to the original DS. I don't have a DS Lite to compare to, but the original SP is nowhere near as good as the DS.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

There was a later GBA SP that had the same screen as GBA Micro and was much brighter and vibrant.

I have to say tho DS lite edges it out. DS phat screen is too dark.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    There was a later GBA SP that had the same screen as GBA Micro and was much brighter and vibrant.
    That's what the thread is about

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    I have to say tho DS lite edges it out.
    The DS Lite and backlit SP use the same screen technology and are equal in quality. I've spent many dozens of hours on both, including direct comparisons with the Mario Bros. game included on several GBA cartridges (The only thing I could have running at the same time on both), and there is no difference in quality. Contrast, color, brightness, and how well the screens handle motion seem identical. Only differences are that the screens of the DS Lite are of a slightly higher resolution (So GBA games run windowed), utilize a 4:3 aspect ratio versus a 3:2 aspect ratio, and are of a slightly difference size. But picture quality is identical on both.

The Micro was released alongside the backlit SP (The DS Lite came just 4 or 5 months later) and from the little experience I have with it, the screen is also of similar quality like you said.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-29-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really can't go wrong with DS Lite, GBA SP2 or the Micro. I prefer playing on Micro since Nintendo probably put their nicest D-pad in that little beast.
    Last edited by RCM; 03-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The lighting conditions also make a difference. I had a hard time seeing the screen while playing the DS Light in a car in bright daylight. When I switched to the backlit SP(on the brightest setting I think) it looked great.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

That reminds me of when I bought my first DS Lite. I had my GBA SP1 with me, running one of the Final Fantasy games. When I inserted the GBA cart into my new console, I realized how washed up the screen on the SP1 was. So yeah, if you want a good screen resolution experience, do go with the SP2 if you want to play original Game Boy and GBC games, the Micro if you want GBA games only (and don't have huge hands), or the DS Lite if you want to cover the DS as well.