Thread: Huge Collection Display/Organization Questions & Thoughts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Huge Collection Display/Organization Questions & Thoughts

Ok, I am redoing my basement (the Room of Doom), and am looking for some ideas. I have a very large collection (150+ consoles), and I am wondering on how to organize them. I am putting new shelves up, and mounting about 12 small 15" LCD tvs that will have select systems ready for play. In the middle of the room, I have a large 52" tv with newer stuff on it (sort of an "island" set up in the middle). My question is what order to put the systems on the shelves. Should I go in order of release (this will take some research, I can't find ANY timelines that seem to have everything on them), or by brand, or maybe just by how well they fit/look next to each other?

If anyone has multiple tvs set up (like little game stations or kiosks), I would love some thoughts or pictures. Here are some pictures of how it was set up:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...%20Collection/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you do a lot of video gaming parties or something along those lines where multiple systems are being played at once? I'm not understanding the advantage of having a bunch of small monitors set up when you can just have a few larger monitors with a switcher attached or even a mobile tv cart which will take literally seconds to connect to anything in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitami View Post
    Ok, I am redoing my basement (the Room of Doom), and am looking for some ideas. I have a very large collection (150+ consoles), and I am wondering on how to organize them. I am putting new shelves up, and mounting about 12 small 15" LCD tvs that will have select systems ready for play. In the middle of the room, I have a large 52" tv with newer stuff on it (sort of an "island" set up in the middle). My question is what order to put the systems on the shelves. Should I go in order of release (this will take some research, I can't find ANY timelines that seem to have everything on them), or by brand, or maybe just by how well they fit/look next to each other?

If anyone has multiple tvs set up (like little game stations or kiosks), I would love some thoughts or pictures. Here are some pictures of how it was set up:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...%20Collection/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have no advice to offer but that "island" idea sounds awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

There are countless ways of organizing your stuff. Any which way you do it, it will probably become chaotic. I Use Costco hardware shelving and it works best to display things. I used to display everything in a timeline in my game room. The problem was that many of the consoles I had were not getting played only to get covered in dust. Now I display and showcase the main systems from 1975-2001 in the game room and have boxed up the rest.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist