View Poll Results: Did you read the article?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill

A lot of people are interested in this game, so I decided to delve into it and try to find as much information as possible. Games based on Socks the Cat were in development for both the Genesis and SNES, and it appears that the SNES version was completed at least.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0094
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome article. I really do hope the prototype will get dumped someday so everyone will have a chance to try it out.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

DreamTR is a member here on DP! Someone has to try to convince him to dump the game!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I seem to have a memory of a topic like this on DP from years ago. The idea to dump the ROM was brought up, but then forgotten for any number of reasons.

Edit: Here's the topic I was thinking of: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...=Socks+the+Cat

ROM dump wasn't brought up, but there is a pic of the proto.
    Last edited by JSoup; 04-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah its completed, DreamTR owns it and hes looking to sell it, at least he says that in the NA thread about it.....dont count your chickens on a free dump. Maybe we can pool together the $5,000+ he wants for it, then dump it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Or you can trade him an NES Stadium Events! Doubt it will ever be released. Someone will be losing a ton of money by doing so.

Great writeup on it Evan, as always.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if DreamTR would be willing to start a Kickstarter page, that way anyone interested could donate towards a dump.....Hell, even if he didnt want to maintain a Kickstarter page Id do it for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    I wonder if DreamTR would be willing to start a Kickstarter page, that way anyone interested could donate towards a dump.....Hell, even if he didnt want to maintain a Kickstarter page Id do it for him.
    If he wants $10,000 for it and Kickstarter reachers that amount, I would not be surprised if he either:

1)Changes his mind, or

2)Requests the amount be risen to double or triple that.

It all depend$ on $everal factor$.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder what's the plot of the game?

"Oh no! The evil republican rats have stolen all of the cocaine President Clinton received from financial industry lobbyists during his election campaign! It's up to Socks the Cat to catch those rats, and get back Slick Willy J's favorite kind of blow! Can socks recover the cocaine in time for the NAFTA signing party with the President's criminal business friends in the agricultural industry?"

PROTIP: Don't let photographers take pictures of the documents detailing the money laundering operation for Clinton's illegal campaign contributions from China!

NOW we know why the CIA stopped the game from being published!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't put your hopes on a fundraiser. It has always been clear that DreamTR has no intention of selling or sharing this. The huge sums he wants for it is merely a big troll (as was the video), and I'm sure he is getting a kick out of it. I will backhand anyone who even attempts pays $5000+ for this.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    A lot of people are interested in this game, so I decided to delve into it and try to find as much information as possible. Games based on Socks the Cat were in development for both the Genesis and SNES, and it appears that the SNES version was completed at least.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0094
    Major inaccuracy in your article. Not asking 10K, asking 4K, and on top of that, I didn't "create" that video, my friend Richard did when I was playing it at my house. His idea his deal. My YouTube name is DreamTR and I don't even know how to upload a video but that is besides the point so I'd appreciate the change. So who's trolling? It's not me, but good job thinking it was me even though Richard is the one doing all that. I have been serious about it being for sale the whole time. Everyone has said they wanted it. Here it is. Said that numerous times on NA.

I don't think 4K for an unreleased proto is unfair at all, I mean, what do you guys want me to do? First it's dump this for XXX people hate that, so I offer the thing up and considering it's one of a kind I can ask my price. Heck, shit sells for more than $5000 all the time but this is being questioned? Sometimes I have to shake my head at what people "perceive" to be valuable and in my opinion $4000 for this game is a very fair price especially if people are paying 5 figures for factory sealed VGA stuff, wow.

I mean, it's obvious this lit a fire or this article wouldn't be done. The fact is if another one was found (which I am sure you tried to locate) it won't affect me because I'm not desperate for the cash. However, I am a businessman, it's a one of kind item, and yet the perception is I am asking too much but Stadium Events Box and manual goes for 10K released and no one blinks an eye?

I'm not giving away something for free. People can buy it. I said I would NEVER part with this but even with me opening the vault for this I am still getting the third degree about it.

This is why Richard made that video...I was showing him some stuff I had and he KNEW people cared about it so much and to me it's just something else I have but money can always be spent on other things. Considering how much prototype stuff I have dumped/released; etc people will still still still still say I hoard and won't share things. It's like the biggest dead horse beating ever but whatever...

So to close this response with anything meaningful. It's $4000. Nothing more, nothing less. Actual cart, not a dump. I have many interested parties supposedly raising cash but the first person to come to me with it gets it. First dibs to anyone planning a release with it because that is what I want to see but I'm definitely not doing one myself.

Hopefully that straigtens up the inaccurate comments/history about myself and this game.
    Last edited by DreamTR; 04-02-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I have been serious about it being for sale the whole time. Everyone has said they wanted it. Here it is. Said that numerous times on NA.
    You were never serious about selling it. I put together a serious offer, and you gave me some bullshit about having to have the money in your hand before midnight... blah blah blah...

I believe this was your exact quote:
    Clock is ticking...Feb 29 at 1159pm CST then it goes back up to silliness...definitely a lot better than hanging out in my drawer and never coming out ever which was my original stance. Honestly I am surprised I still have it =)
    That's not the kind of statement I want to hear from someone i'm about to give $5,000. And it was $5,000 so your correction needs a correction.

.heck, I'll say $5000 and I will send the game to whoever comes up with the money

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Major inaccuracy in your article. Not asking 10K, asking 4K, and on top of that...
    Major inaccuracy in your reading comprehension. Evan wrote, and I quote "Unfortunately, he wants an item that costs the equivalent of about $10,000 for the game, so it is unlikely that anyone is going to be playing this anytime soon". In the NintendoAge thread in question (seriously, Evan really should cite some sources) you said you wanted to trade it for a Medieval Madness pinball machine. The lowest priced one of those I see on eBay is over $11,000 so I can see where Evan got that figure. I believe Evan started writing that article at the time you had made that first statement, before you changed your price to $5k, then $4k, so at least you are right in that respect.

I didn't "create" that video, my friend Richard did when I was playing it at my house. His idea his deal. My YouTube name is DreamTR and I don't even know how to upload a video but that is besides the point so I'd appreciate the change. So who's trolling? It's not me, but good job thinking it was me even though Richard is the one doing all that. I have been serious about it being for sale the whole time. Everyone has said they wanted it. Here it is. Said that numerous times on NA.
    Please forgive me for not knowing specifically where you said it, but I recall you saying either on here, or on NintendoAge (I'll start looking now) that you thought up and uploaded that video basically with the intent of trolling everyone.

I don't think 4K for an unreleased proto is unfair at all, I mean, what do you guys want me to do? First it's dump this for XXX people hate that, so I offer the thing up and considering it's one of a kind I can ask my price. Heck, shit sells for more than $5000 all the time but this is being questioned? Sometimes I have to shake my head at what people "perceive" to be valuable and in my opinion $4000 for this game is a very fair price especially if people are paying 5 figures for factory sealed VGA stuff, wow.
    $4k may be fair for a completely unique game, but to a lot of people it does seem dickish to demand money for the game. I really don't know what to think about it, but I can see why it pisses off a lot of people.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 04-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    You were never serious about selling it. I put together a serious offer, and you gave me some bullshit about having to have the money in your hand before midnight... blah blah blah...

I believe this was your exact quote:

That's not the kind of statement I want to hear from someone i'm about to give $5,000. And it was $5,000 so your correction needs a correction.
    It was a joke. You took it seriously. I lowered the price to $4,000 awhile ago. It's on NA. People here don't read NA very often I have noticed.

Any serious offers towards the game would have been directed to me in a PM and not haphazardly in a forum posting.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Major inaccuracy in your reading comprehension. Evan wrote, and I quote "Unfortunately, he wants an item that costs the equivalent of about $10,000 for the game, so it is unlikely that anyone is going to be playing this anytime soon". In the NintendoAge thread in question (seriously, Evan really should cite some sources) you said you wanted to trade it for a Medieval Madness pinball machine. The lowest priced one of those I see on eBay is over $11,000 so I can see where Evan got that figure. I believe Evan started writing that article at the time you had made that first statement, before you changed your price to $5k, then $4k, so at least you are right in that respect.

Please forgive me for not knowing specifically where you said it, but I recall you saying either on here, or on NintendoAge (I'll start looking now) that you thought up and uploaded that video basically with the intent of trolling everyone.

$4k may be fair for a completely unique game, but to a lot of people it does seem dickish to demand money for the game. I really don't know what to think about it, but I can see why it pisses off a lot of people.
    I might have misquoted myself but you can plainly see from the YouTube name that is not me. I have my own account on YouTube. If I misquoted myself then it is Richard who should be known as SlowJamzMixTapes or something was the one who concocted the idea of posting it.

Why would me asking for the most money for a game not available anywhere would piss off people?

You see, this is the problem I have. It's ok to ask for a lot of money for something that is not a prototype but I am expected to give it away for free? Really? Would you give me your car because, well, I want it?

I piss people off by owning it. I say give me money then, they won't do it. People expect protos to be dumped for free regardless of how much money was spent on the item and won't pick up the slack themselves and purchase it.

It's here, buy it. It is besides the point, I've has a For Sale thread up for awhile in NA with the game listed as well and I just locked it so I can do another thread since I have so many threads going on but it's there for 4K....

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bottom line again is the game is for sale. Anyone "serious" has PMed me. Anyone who knows me and has dealt with me knows I am a serious seller. If people can't understand that and don't PM me about it that's another story but there are 4 interested parties some with fundraisers, some without, some waiting on Tax returns, etc, it boils down to everyone wants to play it, but expects me to give it away. I had it locked up for a long time, Richard made that video, everyone got all angry about it, so I said "fine, I'll sell it" and everyone was still up in arms about it.

This is precisely why I don't even bother with prototypes much anymore because of the sheer ridiculousness out there with the expectations involved with them.

The realization that all that work I went through to find half of this stuff people just don't realize that a lot of the games unreleased they have played that I was able to sell might have been tossed in the dumpster if I wasn't so actively searching for things.

I was looking for this game for 5 years, now there is one available and this is the crap that happens with it?

People wonder why I would rather keep my stuff locked up forever or sell to private individuals that lock up stuff as well (yes, I have been selling a lot of stuff to private collectors these days that alleviates this type of hassle).

No one is holding anything for ransom here, it was an interest that I thought some people would have based on Richard wanting that video up but it's obvious that people are still believing they "deserve" something for free.

It's still here. If I say it's getting "locked" up or "special deal by midnight and the price goes up" and put a happy face, it's a JOKE. Really. When the heck have I seriously done that? I just have to shake my head at how serious some of that was taken.

Again, serious people have PMed me on NA about it. It's still here but I don't know how much longer it will be. (No, that is not a threat of hoarding it again since apparently everyone reads into everything I say as veiled threats)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Yes, that is the point. If I start writing an article and facts change you have to do some more research on the subject. My reading comprehension was fine. 10K or equivalent was still me originally asking for 10K as he stated in the article, absolutely no difference but I changed it to 4K some time back and have a For Sale thread on NA as opposed to a casual thread in the prototype section where it is just being discussed in general.

I'll stop posting on this as of now, I don't have anything to say about this anymore that hasn't already been said a dozen times, I simply came on here looking for CGE2K12 stuff and saw this thread but I've already said what I will take for it and I'll say again (I already found a Medieval Madness so this is besides the point)

1. $4000 paypal for the game, NOT the ROM alone.
    2. An NTSC Stadium Events BOX and MANUAL. If this goes for more than $4000 keep in mind it was released and there are more of them out there, but it's an option.
    3. A Street Fighter pneumatic button dedicated cabinet and $2000.

I can be reached via PMs on Nintendo Age...possibly here but I don't check very often.

I apologize if I "offended" anyone but I'm not out to laugh in anyone's face at this game, people said they wanted it and I am trying to offer it to them but for some reason people suddenly think I am not "serious", I don't even have a website with my protos up...doesn't even make sense, I'd be "trolling" all the time if I cared about stuff like that.
    Last edited by DreamTR; 04-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Gaming history aside, is all this bullshit worth it for an undoubtedly crappy, half finished game?

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I apologize if I "offended" anyone but I'm not out to laugh in anyone's face at this game, people said they wanted it and I am trying to offer it to them but for some reason people suddenly think I am not "serious", I don't even have a website with my protos up...doesn't even make sense, I'd be "trolling" all the time if I cared about stuff like that.
    It seems like since you have the only copy out there that you are waving it in everyone's face while screaming "neener neener". It pisses people off that you have an interesting footnote in video game history, but you only care to have money to share it. That says to everyone in the gaming community that you care about money more than gaming history or collecting, and whether you agree with that or not it is the truth. In my OPINION I think you are holding the damn game hostage, as if to say "Give me THIS much money or you'll NEVER see the game again!". Also, asking for $10k cash, and for something worth $10k are two different things, whether you think so or not. You have gotten me on all other points, and on those I concede defeat.

I have said my peace, though I have one more thing to say:

Evan made it pretty clear in his article that he has been in contact with people who worked at Kaneko. You should pray he doesn't come across someone who has a copy, because if he does your "unique" game will not be worth near what it is right now.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 04-03-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: corrected some typos
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DreamTR,
    So instead of counting on one person to outright buy it, which is most likely not going to happen otherwise it would have by now.... why not start a kickstarter page???? that way fans from around the world that want this released can donate, Im sure youll reach your goal of $4,000 easy, and you get to keep the proto in the long run. If the goal isnt reached then it stays locked up with you. Otherwise stop BSing around with this game and just make it clear that its never being released so people shut up!!!!!

I also understand you wanting to make your investment back, sure. But sometimes its better to be generous to the video gaming community. People paid $5000 for Bio Force ape just to dump it. Im currently looking for Ultimate Journey and if/when found, no matter what it costs me, you bet ur ass Id make it public as fast as possible. Release the games and go down as a part of gaming history, be that guy whos known for releasing titles after being lost for years, dont be that guy that everybody thinks is a hoarding dick.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 04-03-2012 at 02:19 AM.