View Poll Results: Did you read the article?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Really so much buzz? Please tell me what "shady" dealings there are with me, what accusations and what examples. Would love to hear. I've sold tens of thousands of items on the internet since 1997 and you won't find anyone say I ripped them off on anything. You have one person saying something who ihas absolutely ZERO basis for that statement. Everything sounds like a bunch of lies right now because I have NEVER taken anyone's money and not given them anything and all my stuff is original so this should be interesting.
    And this is where I'm done.
    You already know what I'm talking about, I'm not participating in this game.
    I would, however, like to request your ebay username so I can block you.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    And this is where I'm done.
    You already know what I'm talking about, I'm not participating in this game.
    I would, however, like to request your ebay username so I can block you.
    I PMed you since I have no idea what you are referring to. If you don't know my eBay name then this really makes zero sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    While I'd generally agree with you, so much buzz has been brought up about supposedly shady dealing by you (not pointing fingers, just pointing out that the accusations are there), games, etc. along with the growing statements of 'maybe he stole it'....I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would even think of giving you money for it (or, really, anything) without some documentation on how you acquired the item.
    The only shady thing I see is this post.

I don't think this is a fair thing to say in a public forum without backing it up.

People can complain about the price or any antics but this.... This business you mention I've never heard of and I've been collecting a long time. Back it up.

If what you say is true than everyone needs to hear it. If you have nothing to say then you should say nothing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Storyteller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shapples

Wink

Socks the Cat eh?

It's me, I'm the voice in the video, I recorded the video on my crappy smart phone while Dream played it, I played it at the NA campout for the guys there. Dream didn't even want to do a video of it really, I was the one that pushed for it. It started out simple enough: Record a video of the game to let you guys know that yes, it's a thing. It exists. I have the only known gameplay footage online, but I do not own the game. After several people gave me hell on YT about the video (even going so far as to threaten me with death and destruction if I didn't release the rom), I decided screw it. That's why I added the disclaimer on the video. I did this for you guys, but got jaded later on.

DreamTR is what I would consider a close friend, I have bought and sold numerous things, done some side work here and there for him, hell we've played kickball together and I'm referred to as "Uncle Richard" around his babby lol. The man is trustworthy, both as a friend and someone to have dealings with. A lot of you have decided to give him shit for some reason, and honestly who gives a good god damn about what he does with his stuff. He originally got me into collecting, taught me about the history of both console and arcade games, and basically got me involved years back. A lot of what you guys are saying feels like it's just jealously manifesting itself in the 2 things that work best online: "Anger" and "Sarcasm" ("Herp" and "Derp" work equally as well too).

Just wanted to pitch my 2 cents in to say that yes, it exists, yes I've played a good ways through it, and yes its hillarious. I was going to set up a full playthrough in HD eventually (with several other unreleased games too, maybe even making a YT show out of it, pending his approval), but honestly the way the internet has reacted over a unreleased game about Bill Clinton's cat.....well, I'm good on that. Thanks for the laughs though, guys.
    Last edited by Storyteller; 04-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    Parodius Da clearly did not read my article. Realtime Associates is based in California, btw.
    RTA did the SNES version, not the Genesis one, IIRC. Ellen Fuog told me that Kaneko USA was able to contract out to European developers after the first Chester Cheetah game. She listed Socks and Fido Dido (another unreleased game) as examples. She was referring specifically to Genesis development though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    RTA did the SNES version, not the Genesis one, IIRC. Ellen Fuog told me that Kaneko USA was able to contract out to European developers after the first Chester Cheetah game. She listed Socks and Fido Dido (another unreleased game) as examples. She was referring specifically to Genesis development though.
    Although Ellen Fuog was definitely excited to talk about the games that Kaneko made, her memory was not 100%. She thought that a European company had done Socks for the SNES, when in reality it was Realtime Associates.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Since this thread is mostly folks bashing DreamTR and DreamTR defending himself against insanity, can this thread be locked? I fear it's not going to hold any further usefulness to any party.

Seriously folks, if you've got issues with someone, send a PM, don't go defaming someone, especially someone who has done tons of good for the gaming community. This thread is just a rotting cesspool now.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Since this thread is mostly folks bashing DreamTR and DreamTR defending himself against insanity, can this thread be locked? I fear it's not going to hold any further usefulness to any party.

Seriously folks, if you've got issues with someone, send a PM, don't go defaming someone, especially someone who has done tons of good for the gaming community. This thread is just a rotting cesspool now.

-Rob
    Hey, I'm will and am talking about the merits and history of this game. I'm as disappointed as anyone that it descended into a yelling match. If I had done this article for any other game, I reckon it would already be buried in page three of this forum. Let's face it, people want to love this game.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    Just wanted to pitch my 2 cents in to say that yes, it exists, yes I've played a good ways through it, and yes its hillarious. I was going to set up a full playthrough in HD eventually (with several other unreleased games too, maybe even making a YT show out of it, pending his approval), but honestly the way the internet has reacted over a unreleased game about Bill Clinton's cat.....well, I'm good on that. Thanks for the laughs though, guys.
    Really, the "I was jumped on the Net now I'm taking my ball home" line again? You were bombed on YT because, firstly, your video was largely out of focus and wasn't still. Plus you and whoever else was there were laughing the whole time. I could post a video of a puppy, and 20 idiots would comment bad mouthing it. There are multitudes of good, thorough YT game reviewers, many who post on this forum, and while I'm sure they are routinely mad fun of with YT comments, they are not deterred. Hope you reconsider, because for every 1 moron, there are many more legitimate game enthusiasts who would appreciate such videos.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    Although Ellen Fuog was definitely excited to talk about the games that Kaneko made, her memory was not 100%. She thought that a European company had done Socks for the SNES, when in reality it was Realtime Associates.
    She might be right though. David Warhol said Realtime Associates didn't do the Genesis version, so it could have been a European developer. It would be interesting to know who did it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm bored so just feel like summarizing this thread:

-DreamTR isn't too good at making his jokes obvious as jokes(blame plain text not being able to be interpreted the same way by everyone)
    -It's easy to criminalize DreamTR just because he has prototypes
    -The whole gaming community welcomes expensive games because they're still wrapped in plastic or had some complete strangers you'll never meet in your life called VGA give their "official"(i.e worthless) rating to it, but when it comes to a one of a kind copy of an unreleased game, any high price is just not cool.
    -Parodius Duh is an idiot.
    -The "I was jumped on the Net now I'm taking my ball home" is a great way to make yourself feel good in life(I'm sure we've all had our moments, regardless of how bad it makes you look.)

Anyway, if there's really some private individuals setting up their own fundraisers for this current $4000, I wonder if they'll ever pool money from the public. Can't imagine anyone besides the Lost Levels people that would get the money all by themselves and also eventually release the ROM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Someone link Bill Clinton to this thread.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bramsworth View Post
    Yeah, yeesh. Honestly, $4,000 isn't out of line *at all* for something like this, I think.

Anyway, if there's really some private individuals setting up their own fundraisers for this current $4000, I wonder if they'll ever pool money from the public. Can't imagine anyone besides the Lost Levels people that would get the money all by themselves and also eventually release the ROM.
    If I could *legally* sell it once I obtained it, I would send him the money immediately for it. I can't. I'm not personally a prototype collector, but I know multiple people who have paid more than $4,000 for one-of-a-kind protos like this before. I'd love to try playing through this -- I remember seeing the previews back in the day and being intrigued by it (didn't understand the political stuff, but thought it looked like Bubsy, but with Socks who was actually cooler because he was like, real, ya know?) I'd love to try it out now too.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I still don't understand why you idiots pay such much for prototypes.

But I am glad you do.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post

But I am glad you do.
    Because it boasts their nerdy ego. And also because they have a failed sense of the value of money. And because they want to "help" the community. And because many if not most are from NintendoAge.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    She might be right though. David Warhol said Realtime Associates didn't do the Genesis version, so it could have been a European developer. It would be interesting to know who did it.

Oh, I would say it is highly likely that the Genesis version was done in Europe, since the two games were being developed independently. Ellen thought that Bits Corporation did the SNES version of Socks the Cat, but when I contacted the people who worked there, they had no recollection of it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Well, for one, it makes an instant name for yourself online. Who owns Socks the Cat? There is only one known copy, and that is owned by that amazing collector Bilbo Baggins... man, he's got a great collection!

Your collection without the prototype is just your collection. With it, it raises the stature of your entire collection in some people's eyes.

I personally think that prototypes are extremely fascinating to see how games were created and changed. It's fascinating to look at them from that standpoint. But, alas, I'm okay with a really meager collection of most stuff, and I don't need people to know that I'm awesome
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bramsworth View Post

-Parodius Duh is an idiot.
    You dont know shit you dickhead. Why am I an idiot? because you dont know a single fuck about my business, if you would read the replies youd see Im still in the right and not proven wrong. Fuck yourself and your all too common cock mouthed thread responses.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 04-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Im currently looking for Ultimate Journey and if/when found, no matter what it costs me, you bet ur ass Id make it public as fast as possible. Release the games and go down as a part of gaming history, be that guy whos known for releasing titles after being lost for years, dont be that guy that everybody thinks is a hoarding dick.
    you're so full of shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    You dont know shit you dickhead. Why am I an idiot? because you dont know a single fuck about my business, if you would read the replies youd see Im still in the right and not proven wrong. Fuck yourself and your all too common cock mouthed thread responses.
    Back in the good old days this thread would have been closed down waaaay before it was allowed to reach this point.

Just out of curiosity, how many active mods are there currently?