Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion, to play the original games or get the remastered games coming out recently?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Default Opinion, to play the original games or get the remastered games coming out recently?

Well as the title states, I'm wondering people's opinions regarding different ways to play a game. Specifically this is regarding the Ico collection remake but could apply towards any remake. I'm thinking about getting the collection due to me never getting the chance to enjoy the games the first time around. Anyone out there think they should be played on the console they debuted for or just do what makes you happy? I never played the Jak and Daxter games either and now I see those being remake for PS3. Just curious on people's thoughts.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

In my case as a gamer I just end up playing both versions at some point as long as I liked the game.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm a big fan of the HD Collections.

I never played the Jak and Daxter games on PS2 and its great having all 3 on one disc for my PS3.

I'm really looking forward to the Ratchet & Clank and Zone of the Enders HD Collections this fall.
    I played all three R&C games and the first ZOE on PS2, but I will gladly play them again in hd.

Some HD collections I want to see are

GTA Trilogy
    Xenodaga Trilogy
    Onimusha Trilogy
    Kingdom Hearts 1,2
    Atelier Iris Trilogy

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The Ico and SotC collection is astonishingly good. So that one is a must buy. Just do it.

Beware the Silent Hill collection. It's trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    The Ico and SotC collection is astonishingly good. So that one is a must buy. Just do it.

I don't think the Silent Hill HD Collection is trash at all. The controls are awkward, but that's part of the fun of playing retro games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Well as the title states, I'm wondering people's opinions regarding different ways to play a game. Specifically this is regarding the Ico collection remake but could apply towards any remake. I'm thinking about getting the collection due to me never getting the chance to enjoy the games the first time around. Anyone out there think they should be played on the console they debuted for or just do what makes you happy? I never played the Jak and Daxter games either and now I see those being remake for PS3. Just curious on people's thoughts.
    If you haven't played the originals, I would buy the HD remakes and enjoy the updated graphics. If you come across the original version for cheap, pick it up just to have I guess if you're a big fan of that particular game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd totally skip Ico and Shadow on PS2 in favor of the HD collection. The frame rate is much better and the 3D support is pretty cool too.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I don't think the Silent Hill HD Collection is trash at all. The controls are awkward, but that's part of the fun of playing retro games.
    Disagree. The HD "upgrade" killed all the suspense and tension of the original graphics. It's frankly a joke.

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

Overall the HD relaunches are just a trend. Your going to get some gems and then others your getting poodoo. Re-releases of like Final Fantasy for iPad was great.

I think these companies are missing what was great about the originals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HD remakes/re-releases are hit or miss.
    The Halo remake is just awful. The graphical enhancements are questionable at best, and the multiplayer is completely gutted. Stick to the original, or better yet the PC version.
    Crazi Taxi and Sonic Adventure are also flawed.
    On the other hand, Daytona USA, Ico, SotC, and Soul Calibur are excellent on modern consoles.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

in the case of the ico/shadow collection, its definitely worth getting and playing over the standard editions because of all the graphical upgrades, it wasnt just a straight port with a higher resolution, they went back in (at least in the case of sotc not sure about ico) and redid alot of the textures, and ico if im not mistaken was taken from the european release which had extra content that we never got over here

however in the case of silent hill collection, more specifically 3, it looks like they went out of their way to gimp that shit, wtf did they do? missing fog and textures, new voicework that doesnt really fit or sync up, and flashlight that has the power of 3 suns, that goes a long way to killing the atmosphere which in my opinion was perfected in 3, i would probably skip this one
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'd totally skip Ico and Shadow on PS2 in favor of the HD collection. The frame rate is much better and the 3D support is pretty cool too.
    To me it's the other way around. Shadow of the Colossus, while having better framerate, sucks ass on the PS3. Unless it's been patched, there's a bug that some of the colossus just don't stop shaking any decent amount of time.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Which part did you like best? The terrible new voice acting or the missing environmental effects?

It's trash.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    To me it's the other way around. Shadow of the Colossus, while having better framerate, sucks ass on the PS3. Unless it's been patched, there's a bug that some of the colossus just don't stop shaking any decent amount of time.
    That never happened to me, and if it had, I'd still take that over the single digit framerate near the end of the PS2 version.

Get the PS3 version,OP.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm torn on the Silent Hill collection, on one hand I've heard terrible things regarding the grain and fog reduction, on the other I don't own Silent Hill 3 for any console because it wasn't released for the original XBox. (I played the PC version instead). I kind of want the whole series for one system (Save the original and Origins... and Shattered Memories). I won't pay $60 for it, but I think when it hits $20 or less I'll bite. Maybe...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'd say it depends on the remastered game. I mean, there's no reason to go for the Saturn Radiant Silvergun over the XBLA one other than purity's sake, but the massive difference in price between the two makes that an easy sell. Same with Guardian Heroes. And yeah, I hear the rerelease of most of those PS2 games on PS3 are pretty good.

That said something like Sonic Adventure or Crazy Taxi seems kind of pointless if you can play the originals.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I'm torn on the Silent Hill collection, on one hand I've heard terrible things regarding the grain and fog reduction, on the other I don't own Silent Hill 3 for any console because it wasn't released for the original XBox. (I played the PC version instead). I kind of want the whole series for one system (Save the original and Origins... and Shattered Memories). I won't pay $60 for it, but I think when it hits $20 or less I'll bite. Maybe...
    Even though I've heard bad things about it I'm still going to get it(I have to since I'm a Silent Hill fan). But I'm also going to wait for it to go down in price. It's only a matter of time before Target or Toys R Us clearances it. Or better yet, Best Buy gets a good coupon deal for it. I have never played Silent Hill 2 or 3 so I have even more reasons to get it and play it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I thought it launched at $40? Either way, it shouldn't take long to hit clearance prices. I'm taking that approach with Downpour, though I've heard encouraging things.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That never happened to me, and if it had, I'd still take that over the single digit framerate near the end of the PS2 version.
    I'm sure it has, you just may not have remembered from the PS2 version. Also, I've never experienced single digit framerate, although I have in the 10s digits. Only game I've experienced single digit framerate was Dark Souls. Only once, but damn if it wasn't a slide show.

Anyways, here.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/ico...oken-game.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9g0g-_xahY (hard time attack completion. Read description)

And on page one of the Gamefaqs Shadow of the Colossus PS3 board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63282...ossus/62300774

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63282...ossus/62373117

Going through a few more pages of either it's quite a common and well known issue to those who have played the PS2 version. I've completed the hard time attacks all on the PS2 game, but with the port I won't be doing so after the difficulty I had with just the normal setting. Even with the fixed framerate and HD graphics, I'll be replaying the PS2 game when I play the game again.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

If you haven't played the originals, I would buy the HD remakes and enjoy the updated graphics. If you come across the original version for cheap, pick it up just to have I guess if you're a big fan of that particular game?

That sounds about right. Based on what I'm reading the HD Ico collection sounds fantastic, no brainer. I think I'll still get Jak and Daxter as well. I suppose I shouldn't be so hesitant, good experience with remakes in the past. I loved the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid remakes for Gamecube, though I was disappointed with the Mario All-Stars for the Wii. I assumed the graphics would be updated somewhat, not just a port of the SNES game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it's a good idea to at least experience some of the original game before playing the remake. It's the same thing with watching movies. Watch the original movie before you see the remake. You need that context. Maybe you don't play 100 percent of your way thru the original game, because movies are only 2 hours, and games can take months to finish. But at least see the original game, and experience a few levels.