Thread: Need Advice on Buying a Used PS3

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Advice on Buying a Used PS3

Hi everyone,

I found a Craiglist ad for a 160 GB PS3 system with 10 games for $150. The seller told me that it's 6 months old and has only been used twice. I'm still waiting for him to back to me with the game titles, but so far the bundle sounds very tempting.

However, before I make a final decision, I wanted some advice on what issues/problems to watch out for when buying a used PS3.

Thanks!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

At that price (if it's a Slim):

- It's stolen.
    - Guy is desperate for money.
    - It's broken.

It's not a bad lot even if the system is broken, especially if there are some decent titles in there. Best thing you can do is ask to see it running or a picture of it running and take a chance on it being fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaruff View Post
    At that price (if it's a Slim):

- It's stolen.
    - Guy is desperate for money.
    - It's broken.

It's not a bad lot even if the system is broken, especially if there are some decent titles in there. Best thing you can do is ask to see it running or a picture of it running and take a chance on it being fine.
    Well, according to the ad, the seller works on an oilrig, and has no time to play his PS3. I asked him whether he's had any issues with the system, but all he said was "it works fine", and repeated what he stated in the ad.

At the very least, I want to wait and find out what games he has. If he's got something decent, I'll ask if he'll part them out from the rest of the bundle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At that price as long as everything is working you should take it. I got my 160 gb slim(my second of three PS3's) for $150 with 3 games from a dude who just lost his job and was about to relocate again. I came over and he let me test everything out and I took it. Ironically, it was also only about 6 months old. And the games were all new releases from the last few months so I sold them for $90 and made my PS3 cost me a total of $60. So you should take it. You can always sell the games you don't want. I don't use my PS3 that much but $150 is a damn good price for that system in working condition with a few games, especially if you are going to be using it alot.

I'm personally not aware of that many issues with it but ask if you can test it before you buy it so that you can see that everything is hooked up in working order.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    At that price as long as everything is working you should take it. I got my 160 gb slim(my second of three PS3's) for $150 with 3 games from a dude who just lost his job and was about to relocate again. I came over and he let me test everything out and I took it. Ironically, it was also only about 6 months old. And the games were all new releases from the last few months so I sold them for $90 and made my PS3 cost me a total of $60. So you should take it. You can always sell the games you don't want. I don't use my PS3 that much but $150 is a damn good price for that system in working condition with a few games, especially if you are going to be using it alot.

I'm personally not aware of that many issues with it but ask if you can test it before you buy it so that you can see that everything is hooked up in working order.
    I've actually decided to pass on the lot. As it turns out, the seller only has an HDMI cable for his PS3, and I unfortunately don't have a compatible TV. Also, the seller said he's leaving town in a few days, and I don't have the time to meet him before then anyway.

I'm sure another deal will come along eventually. Besides, I'm not in that big of a hurry to get a PS3, my backlog is big enough as it is!

Edit: While I'm on the subject of PS3 systems, what size hard drive would you suggest? I'm debating between the 160 GB and 320 GB models. I know that you can replace the hard drive with relative ease, but I prefer to get a PS3 with what I need right out of the box. I'm mostly going to use the HDD for game saves, mandatory game installs, and PSN downloads.
    Last edited by SEGA_Queen; 04-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another thing to be aware of is that people will mod their PS3 and then try to use it online and get it banned. A lot of times when you see a cheap PS3, it can't be used online b/c it was banned.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Another thing to be aware of is that people will mod their PS3 and then try to use it online and get it banned. A lot of times when you see a cheap PS3, it can't be used online b/c it was banned.
    That's one thing I hadn't considered. Thanks mobiusclimber! I think I'm just better off buying a new PS3. At least then I won't have to worry about such problems, and I'll have a proper warranty if something does go wrong. Hopefully, I'll have enough saved up for the system before Ni no Kuni comes out.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

You should check out amazon warehouse deals they have some great prices. And the items are usually just damaged boxes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    I thinks thats more of an issue with xboxs then it is with PS3s. A modded ps3 is stuck on a low firmware which would force you to update to go online anyways which in turn removes the mods. Can't really have your cake and eat it to with PS3 like you can with Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    You should check out amazon warehouse deals they have some great prices. And the items are usually just damaged boxes.
    Unfortunately, I'm from Canada, and Amazon Warehouse Deals doesn't ship internationally. Besides, when it come to game systems, I prefer to buy them from a brick and mortar store. It's just easier if I have to return for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm from Canada, and Amazon Warehouse Deals doesn't ship internationally. Besides, when it come to game systems, I prefer to buy them from a brick and mortar store. It's just easier if I have to return for some reason.
    It would still be cheaper to buy it off of someone else as used. Just make sure to register the system online when you buy it. You may also want to look into trading some stuff or another system for a PS3. Perhaps do an even swap if money is a concern for you. Beyond that just keep checking out craigs list and whatever the Canadian equivalent is. Finally, if you have alittle bit of patience just wait until black Friday. They should have cheap deals on PS3's then(last year they had them for $199 brand new). I know that up there yall have those deals on Boxing day but if you have any friends down here or live close enough to the Canadian/New York border you can still get one from the US during that weekend.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 04-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    It would still be cheaper to buy it off of someone else as used. Just make sure to register the system online when you buy it. You may also want to look into trading some stuff or another system for a PS3. Perhaps do an even swap if money is a concern for you. Beyond that just keep checking out craigs list and whatever the Canadian equivalent is. Finally, is you have alittle bit of patience just wait until black Friday. They should have cheap deals on PS3's then(last year they had them for $199 brand new). I know that up there yall have those deals on Boxing day but if you have any friends down here or live close enough to the Canadian/New York border you can still get one from the US during that weekend.
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I think I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist for a decent local deal. Failing that, I'll wait and see if there are any deals to be had on Black Friday/Boxing Day. I'm patient enough to wait until I can afford the system.

If I do buy anything PS3 related right now, I'll be the games. I've noticed that several of the RPGs are already hard to find. Besides, if I really get the itch to play my small collection of PS3 games, I can always go to my local store and rent their PS3.

EDIT: So I just found another PS3 on Craigslist for $230. Here's the details from the ad:

-320GB HDD
    -1 controller
    -all cords
    -console
    -maybe 5 hrs on it
    -Games: Infamous 2, grand theft auto 4? (The ad didn't specify which GTA game it was.)

The seller told me it only 2 weeks old, and has the connections I need to use it on my old-as-the-hills tv. He's also agreed to let me test it before I buy it. I have no interest in the games, but seller wouldn't split the bundle. Oh well, I can always resell the games to recoup some of the cost.

So, is this bundle worth grabbing?
    Last edited by SEGA_Queen; 04-09-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really don't think you could get banned on the PS3, It's the 360 that will

The $150 isn't to bad at all..Just ask the guy about online if your not sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

At that price I'm sure many here would buy it. Pass along the info if you aren't interested. Someone will buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    At that price I'm sure many here would buy it. Pass along the info if you aren't interested. Someone will buy it.
    If you're referring to the $150 bundle that I initially inquired about, then you're too late. The seller's already taken down the ad, so I assume he sold it.

On that note, I think I've got more than enough advice to make an informed decision the next time a good deal comes along.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    I've actually decided to pass on the lot. As it turns out, the seller only has an HDMI cable for his PS3, and I unfortunately don't have a compatible TV. Also, the seller said he's leaving town in a few days, and I don't have the time to meet him before then anyway.

I'm sure another deal will come along eventually. Besides, I'm not in that big of a hurry to get a PS3, my backlog is big enough as it is!

Edit: While I'm on the subject of PS3 systems, what size hard drive would you suggest? I'm debating between the 160 GB and 320 GB models. I know that you can replace the hard drive with relative ease, but I prefer to get a PS3 with what I need right out of the box. I'm mostly going to use the HDD for game saves, mandatory game installs, and PSN downloads.
    160 GB will be more than enough for your game saves and if you are planning on adding a lot of videos and download content in the near future, you can always update it to a 750 GB or a 1 TB hard drive. They are the same hard drives used in laptops so the option is there for you to choose

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a note for if you need to test again, the PS3 AV output (not HDMI) is the same as was used on the PS1 and PS2, so if you have composite or RF cables for a PS2 you can hook them up to the PS3 to test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Just a note for if you need to test again, the PS3 AV output (not HDMI) is the same as was used on the PS1 and PS2, so if you have composite or RF cables for a PS2 you can hook them up to the PS3 to test.
    That's good to know in case I find a good deal on a PS3 without the pack-in A/V cables. Although, it would be a bit inconvenient to switch the A/V between the two systems.