Thread: Fans of Dragon Quest Monsters/Dragon Warrior Monsters?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fans of Dragon Quest Monsters/Dragon Warrior Monsters?

Recently I have been playing the original GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters. Every generation of Pokemon reminds me that this game exists and in some ways it beats out the more popular series. Anyone else still enjoy Dragon Warrior Monsters whether it be the original or number 2? I haven't played the caravan one. I also have only played a little of the first DQM Joker.

I'm in the process of recording my playthrough of DWM 1 and I have started posting them on youtube. I attempt to commentary on them but I'm new at it lol. If anyone wants a link I'd be happy to give it. Here's to hoping there are some other fans of this game here!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The first two Dragon Warrior Monster games I'd consider the best ones in the series. The Joker games are also good, but not as good. Dragon Quest Monsters 3 Caravan Heart sucks ass.

In the original game you could have a monster that, potentially, has access to every ability in the game. In Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, you can now only have access to eight skills at a time. Kind of sucks, but eight is enough. The original has randomized maps depending on the gate that you go to, while Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 has your regular worlds that are the same each and every time you go to them, but literally an infinite of randomized maps depending on the key combination. You could have two keys with the exact same name and it could be a totally different maps.

I like the GB ones the best because everything is much quicker and a larger variety of areas and monsters.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-08-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

Dragon Warrior Monsters came out when I was 10. This game managed to get a nice following in my area and a lot of my friends had it. My parents got me the game after school let out in 2000, so I played this game all summer. I took it with me to summer camps and then I took it with me on the vacation my parents decided to take. We went from Los Angeles to Indianapolis, by car. This game was one of the only games I had with me on the trip, so I played the crap out of it. I enjoyed it so much that I did everything I could think of to do in it. Beat every gate, beat all the trainers at the arena and got just about every monster.

Dragon Warrior Monsters has become one of my favorite games ever, and I enjoy it way more than I have of any Pokemon game, or Pokemon clone. I've always thought the stories were better thought up and it had more character. I also really enjoyed the cameos of all the bosses, though that was something I didn't appreciate until after Dragon Warrior I & II, then III came out for the GBC and I got to actually fight those bosses.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yes

Totally agree with you kupo. The reason I didn't even finish DQM Joker was that it wasn't enough like Cobi's Journey and the first game. I was expecting something similar I guess. I would say my favorite is divided between 1 and 2. Breeding is what makes the game for me though, the system is so much better than Pokemon's or at the very least more original. It used to be that you could knock pokemon for not having a complex training and battle system but not anymore. Anyway, I will be sailing away on a nostalgia cruise as I play this game over the next few months.

And Suikoman I was much the same way when I first got my hands on this game. I played it anywhere and everywhere too. I bought my friend it for his birthday and he got into it as well.

I'm gonna put a link to my Let's Play sorry for the sub-par commentary lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wRQBReKoM