Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Default Single Player Fighting Games

The title seems like a bit of a misnomer but I wanna talk about Fighters that have a ton of content for single players. I usually suck hard at fighting games so if I find one I enjoy its usually because I have a lot more to do then the traditional 2 player, tournament, story modes found in most fighters. I also put this in Modern Gaming because I honestly can't think of a ton of pre-last generation fighters that had much more then the already mentioned modes of play.

At the top of my current list is definitely Dissidia 012[duodecim]. The game just has so much content to burn through that its ridiculous in a good way. The main story mode of the game contains both a new campaign featuring the new fighters to the series along with an revamped version of the original games already long story mode with a lot of side missions thrown in. In addition to that you eventually unlock whats basically an unending dungeon, labyrinth mode to the game as well. That coupled with the more traditonal tournament and vs. CPU modes, leveling and unique fighting system filled make it my current favorite fighter to play alone.

I also have a ton of fun with Soul Caliber 1 & 2 when they were new. So anyone else have any particular favorites with a ton of single player content?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

The original Dead or Alive actually. I bought the import for my Saturn and unlocked everything in that game. It had a lot of single player replay value I thought - I remember sinking hours into that - and it wasn't just to see Kasumi in a bikini lol. Not a big fighting game fan in general, but that was one I played a lot...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Fighter 2 had this great single-player feature where the A.I. would evolve based on a save file that kept track of how you played.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Soul Calibur's quest/dungeon mode that they introduced in 3 (I think) was a lot of fun single player. Game had a lot of unlockable's that made it about more than just repeatedly kicking the shit out of your opponnant.
    Last edited by Daria; 04-10-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ehrgeiz. It's got the main fighting game, mini games, and also the Forsaken Dungeon. The Forsaken Dungeon is a game in itself. It's a dungeon crawler with two types of characters, one more magic oriented, the other more attack oriented. You can eat different types of food that will alter the stats you get on level ups. Multiple types of Materia to cast either weak versions of spells or strong versions. Weak you press the button, strong you hold the button.

Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3. Tenkaichi 2 goes through the entire storyline ending at the Buu Saga, but it goes through only each battle and there's really no storyline at all aside from one line of text. Each final battle, whether it's against Vegeta, Freiza, Cell, or Buu, or any other final battle has a short although fairly accurate in game cutscene. Tenkaichi 3 is my favorite by far, as it goes through each saga, as well as some in GT and you fight only the major battles in each saga. Storyline text is done within the battle between fighters, and at certain points through the battles, it'll notify you to hit R3 which will change into an in game cutscene. On Tenkaichi 3, all of these battles feels you're really playing through the storyline.

On the Tenkaichi games there are also a lot of different modes. Infinite battle modes, challenge modes, etc. There's even one mode that is kind of like those flash games that have you level up your characters stats, by training, power training, or resting.

Then somewhat and somewhat not fighting games. Wrestling games. WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, and the Smackdown series are all good games. They're not nearly as good as when you're playing with friends but they're still fun games when playing one player.

The Tales games also play like RPG like fighting games, Tales of Vs even more so as it's using the Tales gameplay mechanics and being a fighting game in itself.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and 5 had a mode where you went around to different arcades and fight different difficulty tiers. You did missions and won money to acquire more equipment to design your fighter.

Tekken 5 has this really crappy one player story mode.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only single-player modes I've spent much time with are Edge Master mode for SoulBlade and World Tour for Street Fighter Alpha 3.
    Didn't the Tobal games have really deep single-player modes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The only single-player modes I've spent much time with are Edge Master mode for SoulBlade and World Tour for Street Fighter Alpha 3.
    Didn't the Tobal games have really deep single-player modes?
    I will second Edge Master mode in Soul Blade. I spent many hours trying to unlock all the weaposn for my fighters. When I got the Japanese version(Soul Edge) I decided to just use a cheat code so I didn't have to go thru all of that again. I also spent a ton of time on the bonus modes in Tekken 3. I spent way more time on that game than I should even admit. And of course Dead or Alive got lots of my playtime too, and not just because you could turn bouncing breast on or off. As for Tobal, I know it had a seperate quest mode but I didn't spend that much time in it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fighter's Megamix never gets old for me for some reason. Lots of characters to unlock and courses to beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Fighter's Megamix never gets old for me for some reason. Lots of characters to unlock and courses to beat.
    Ah, good ol' Fighters Megamix. My friends and I played that game our entire sophomore year. Tons of secret characters, tons of secret moves, tons of easter eggs and tons of fun! Completely ridiculous and over the top, but for us, that's what made it so great!

God I want a sequel.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

The latest MK had a surprisingly nice amount of SP content.
    Also SC II and IV ( I skippped 3) are to me, very compotent single player fighters

Stay far, far, away form SC V though. This was probably the single most disappointing fighting game from the perspective of someone who enojys single player far more than multiplayer in their fighting games.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    At the top of my current list is definitely Dissidia 012[duodecim].
    You should check out your local Target. These are on clearance for <$10.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I love Virtua Fighter 4 and 5's mode where you go through different arcades and face different AIs. There were seriously so many differently designed AI characters, and I liked the concept of receiving accessories for your character's attire. I spent a lot of time with that years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

The newest Mortal Kombat definitely has a good single player mode. It includes a full story/campaign mode, which is defintely not a common trait in a fighter.

I can recommend the bulk of SNK's fighting games for storytelling (Fatal Fury, KOF, Last Blade especially) but of all those the best one you'd be able to find on current gen systems is KOF 13. Some of their games straight up lack a story, but most of them seem to have cutscenes interspersed throughout, with dialogue that is character/team specific.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second KOF 13, but also because I get butt raped online in KOF 13