Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Konami do no wrong on the SNES or what?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could Konami do no wrong on the SNES or what?

Man, recently I've picked up Super Castlevania IV and Contra III: The Alien Wars for the Super Nes. I had both of them back in the day, so it isn't like it's my first experience with them or anything, but man, Konami could sure do magic on the Super Nes. Plus, I also have Gradius III, which despite the horrific slowdown is an incredible shooter. I also had Axelay back in the day, I don't have it right now, but that was a great one as well.

Did Konami have any games on the Super Nes that were total duds? And what other Konami Super Nes titles should I try to grab?

Thanks.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate to rain on your parade, but some of the games that you loved were the same ones that I considered to be duds. I was never that fond of Contra III or Axelay... Contra III offered the same frustration as the first two games, along with weird and confusing 3D stages. Axelay was more style than substance, and the backgrounds that were incredible in 1992 just look like they were drawn on a tube of toilet paper today.
    However, I can definitely recommend some other Konami games for the Super NES. Those include Legend of the Mystical Ninja (if you like your games with a full-bodied Japanese flavor), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (amazing for a 16-bit fighter, with a dynamic, exciting soundtrack), and surprisingly, Biker Mice from Mars. It may not look like much, but it's at least as much fun as its American counterpart Rock 'n Roll Racing... possibly even more.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Don't forget Cybernator (mechs), Tiny Toon Adventures, Turtles in Time, Mystical Ninja 2 (though that Japan only)... there is a big list

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well gradius 3 was a first gen SNES title so the slowdown was expected.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I think that Contra III and Axelay were two of Konami's best SNES offerings. Contra III has amazing level layouts, the dual-weapon system is excellent, and the game isn't frustrating so much as it is challenging in a fair way. I never really understood why some didn't care for the overhead stages, either. They're great fun once you grasp the control system.

Axelay more style than substance? Hardly. It has the most inventive weapons this side of Radiant Silvergun, while the level design is every bit as solid (and not nearly as tedious) as a Gradius or Lifeforce/Salamander. Not every stage looks as great as it once did, I'll admit, but the third level's unfurling cityscape remains gorgeous, and the boss encounters still look great, even after years of Psikyo and Cave wonders.

Metal Warriors is another great Konami title from the SNES stable. It's similar to Cybernator, but with the ability to switch between different mecha during play. There's also a two-player versus mode that never gets old.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hated Contra III, and Contra was one of my all time favorite games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Actually, I think that Contra III and Axelay were two of Konami's best SNES offerings.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Actually, I think that Contra III and Axelay were two of Konami's best SNES offerings. Contra III has amazing level layouts, the dual-weapon system is excellent, and the game isn't frustrating so much as it is challenging in a fair way. I never really understood why some didn't care for the overhead stages, either. They're great fun once you grasp the control system.

Axelay more style than substance? Hardly. It has the most inventive weapons this side of Radiant Silvergun, while the level design is every bit as solid (and not nearly as tedious) as a Gradius or Lifeforce/Salamander. Not every stage looks as great as it once did, I'll admit, but the third level's unfurling cityscape remains gorgeous, and the boss encounters still look great, even after years of Psikyo and Cave wonders.
    I'm with KF on this completely. I liked Contra III and Axelay (and Gradius III, for that matter) so much that I also got the Super Famicom versions of all three. Of course, the only one that had any major changes was Contra III. The Japanese title is Contra Spirits, there's a sound test, thirty men code and stage select that were removed from the U.S. version, plus you can get the good ending on Normal, rather than Hard. Axelay just has Japanese text instead of English, and I can't think of a single difference between the U.S. and Japanese versions of Gradius III.

I can't think of a single bad SNES game by Konami, not a one. Technically Cybernator, Metal Warriors and Zombies Ate My Neighbors were all licensed from other companies - but if they weren't quality, I doubt Konami would have picked them up.

On another note, anyone play The Adventures Of Batman & Robin? It was definitely one of the best of the later games Konami produced for the SNES.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe that anybody would dislike Contra III. I think it ranks in the Top 15 Super Nintendo games, period. Maybe even top 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

10 posts in this topic yet I'm the first one to mention Sunset Riders?

Tsk, Tsk.

God I loved that game. I probably spent $500 in quarters on the arcade game alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Sunset Riders is one of the Konami SNES carts I'm still looking for, as is Sparkster.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    Sunset Riders is one of the Konami SNES carts I'm still looking for, as is Sparkster.

I didn't know that there was a SNES version of Sparkster. Or are you talking about the Genny version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

The SNES version. It and the Genesis version are two different games entirely. I have RKA and the Genesis version of Sparkster, I just need the SNES version to complete the set.

On a related note, Sparkster has a cameo in Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Matsuginesu for the Super Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the Konami games I've ever played for the SNES were great. Konami usually makes pretty good games in general though, except for most of their sports and disney ones.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51
    There's a place around here that has it, but he wants a ridiculous amount of money for it (it was either $15 or $25).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Too much. I'll keep looking.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love all of the SNES non-sport Konami games, the weakest one in my opinion, was Axelay. I just couldn't play past the 1st level without becoming really bored, but I did force myself through the entire game. Another gem is Tsuyoshi Taisen Pazurudama, still my favorite puzzle game of all-time.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Yeah, I kinda agree with ManekiNeko. I didn't think Contra III was that great and I'm convinced the reason Axelay is so highly regarded is the SNES really didn't have much else as far as shmups go. Not that it's a horrible game or anything. I just don't think it's quite as good as people seem to think. (Of course, I don't like Radiant Silvergun either, see my other post from tonight. )

Gradius III has some cool weapons options that the arcade didn't have, but the slowdown, first generation or not, kills it for me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played a Konami game on Snes that completely sucked. They were definately one of the best developers on Snes. Super Castlvania 4, Contra 3, Gradius 3, Sunset Riders, and Legend of the Mystical Ninja are some of my favorites. Especially Mystical Ninja.

Dire 51 - I have played Batman and Robin. That was a terrific game. Konami managed to capture the feel of the cartoon incredibly well. It's also nice to see Konami making a game on a GOOD cartoon licesnse instead of say Biker Mice from Mars. (Which was a good game, but the cartoon was cheesy as hell)

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

NFL Football....by Konami....for the SNES...

WORST....SPORTS GAME.....EVER.

Other than that, I'm stunned to the dislike for Contra II here. Amazing soundtrack, kick ass weapons, and let us not forget some of the best mode 7 on the system. Still the best game in the series IMHO. I also love Axelay....maybe not as much as some other shooters, but it's still one hell of a game..and that sound! Oh man, what incredible sound for a SNES game.