Thread: @Anthony1 [SNES or GB Player: Perfect System?]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default @Anthony1 [SNES or GB Player: Perfect System?]

In one of the threads ( I could not find it) you said that the SNES was the perfect system. Well, I love the SNES, but the more I was thinking about it I remembered that the gameboy is a SNES+. So don't you think the best system is the Gameboy Player?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm not anthony1, but i don't think so. the gba doesn't have all the games that the snes had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesman85
    i'm not anthony1, but i don't think so. the gba doesn't have all the games that the snes had.
    And a damned shame it doesn't!! But some can be left behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

USE THE PRIVATE MESSAGING FEATURE. You'd think after a year that he'd catch on...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I want more people to comment on this. I just also want to get his opinion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I talked about the SNES being the perfect system, I was talking about home systems. I was also talking about it relative to the era that it was released. I just think the SNES was pretty much the Cat's meow, except for 2 major things.

1. Slow Down O'Plenty

2. Horrible Sports Games

Other than those two factors, I think the SNES was a dream system. As for the Game Boy Advance, I'm not huge into the portables. The screens are still too small, and just not good enough for me. You know that little mini LCD screen that you can get for the PSone? If there was a portable that used a screen like that, but was still as compact as possible, then I would probably be more into portables.

Plus, why pay $29.99 for Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy Advance, when I can get the SNES cart for 8 bucks?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see your point. I was talking about the Gameboy Player though

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So your point of view was the fact that the SNES was the perfect system except that it was deficient in hardware and was missing nearly all of a major game genre... that's like saying your wife is the perfect woman but she's ugly and stupid...
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Hey, let's defile the Video Game Forum too!!!!!!!1!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though I love the SNES and grew up with it, I'm not sure I would say it was ever the perfect console. Even for it's time, it wasn't light years ahead of the Genesis/MegaDrive and, as already pointed out, it was lacking in processor speed which resulted in horrible slowdown in many games. Fortunately, programmers were later able to get around this problem, but it plagued many early releases (although, bizarrely, the slowdown actually helps in games like Gradius III - has saved me many a life!).

I disagree that the SNES sucked at sports games. You are only likely to have this view if you are American because it's true that there weren't many great baseball, hockey or American football games released for the SNES. However, remember that the rest of the world has little interest in American sports. So, in Europe, Japan, and Australia, the SNES had a pretty reasonable sports line up. It had the best soccer game in International Superstar Soccer (never released in the US even though it was a fantastic game), the best tennis game in Super Tennis (crap graphics even for the time but the physics engine was spot on) and the best racing games (so many good ones... Mario Kart, F-Zero, Top Gear, Nigel Mansell, etc.).

I think it is a little naive to say that the SNES lacked decent sports games. Maybe, if you are American, it lacked decent AMERICAN sports games (i.e. ones most of the rest of the world doesn't play), but, overall, it had a pretty reasonable selection of sports titles.

By the way, this is not meant to be an anti-American post. I live in California but appreciate that there are other sports in the world not invented by Americans.

Anyway, getting back... despite my love for the SNES, I have to nominate the Dreamcast as the most perfect console ever. It was ahead of it's time (the SNES really wasn't, despite some nice graphical effects), had a great ratio of good to bad games (especially since it only lasted around 2 years), used a new CD-ROM system (GD-ROM), had a built-in modem, had 4 controller ports, had the wonderful VMU's (an idea never really fully exploited), and was easy to program.

Compare that to the SNES which had good graphcis (but not the best at the time, those belonged to the Neo Geo), good sound (but not significantly better than any other console), and a very nice controller (way better than the Genesis'). What really made the SNES stand out was it's excellent library of games that are still great fun to play today. We should remember fondly that the likes of Mario Kart, Star Fox, F-Zero etc. all started their lives on the SNES.

The SNES is my favorite console but I still have to concede that the Dreamcast was more innovative and ahead of it's time than the SNES ever was.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thunderforce V
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY