Thread: How many of you own every modern console? (and your perspective on modern gaming)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Default How many of you own every modern console? (and your perspective on modern gaming)

I guess this is kind of a two part question or thought. I'm a gamer true and true and fortunate to be able to support my hobby by my own means enough to own every console that is currently out and viable at retail (Right now the Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS/DS, Vita - heck even toss in the PS2 and PSP or iOS if you want). I realize many others aren't able to do that and generally have to stick to one or two consoles and be a little more selective with their cash.

It's quite a different story when your on this side of the fence looking at all the fanboy-laden controversies that go on. I'm certainly grateful to have my pick of any great game for any platform, in fact, I'm platform-blind really at this point (though I do love my 3DS). I do remember struggling through my teen years trying to support the dying Saturn and Dreamcast and hating the fact that Sony was cruising - so I've been there too.

What saddens me though is all the hate that's been spewed first towards the 3DS and now the Vita. I got my hands on the Vita a few weeks ago and the freshness of it still hasn't worn off. It's just so darn cool and the fact that it's capturing near current-gen console style gaming is a greater leap for gaming than I've seen in traditional consoles recently. If the Vita dies an early death I fear it'll be awhile, if we ever, get an experience like it again on a handheld.

I don't know, that's just my two cents. I felt like grumbling a little bit. I think the rumors of the Vita's early demise are quite premature (though a little more believable than they were with the 3DS). I guess I'm just saying as a gamer it's really not worth wishing demise on any console. Constructive criticism is fine, but blatant negativity is just pointless and kinda sad for our hobby.

Anyway - feel free to take this wherever, it doesn't have to be centered on Vita. I'm curious to hear opinions from people like me ('console blind' as I said) on the general state of modern gaming.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I own all 3.

PlayStation 3 and Wii are both unhooked and dust covered. A Laseractive took the PS3 spot. It's gotten more play in the last 2 weeks then the PS3 in 3 years.

The Wii's spot remains empty.

My 360 is currently hosting play-through #4 of Mass Effect 3. It will host playthroughs 5 and of the entire trilogy in the months to come.

Unless Wii-U Announces a Mass Effect Trilogy, I have no need for any game system that comes out in the next 5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Haters gonna hate.

I've been "console blind" since the 8bit days. I had an NES, SMS, 7800, etc and even a japanese famicom in the 80s. Same with the 90s, 2000s... all sides of the camp. Also do that with computers. The platform wars/arguments always made me laugh. Sure not everyone has the space, resources, etc to do that... or they "sincerely" don't like certain platforms. However in general I like to experience/try out new technologies/electronics, so it's not just limited to gaming gear.

Right now I've got everything minus the Vita. Even have gone so far as to have 3 PS3s (US 60GB, JPN 60GB, US Slim 250) and 3 Xbox360s (US Elite, JPN Elite, US Slim) all hooked up and ready to go. However I do plan to pick up a Vita, but I've been distracted by other things (work, school, other toys, etc).

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I own all 3, they're all hooked up. The 360 and the PS3 are played roughly equally with the Wii lagging far behind, only getting pulled out for special games (it's recently seen a lot of use with bit.trip complete). My PS2, Dreamcast and Mega Drive are also still hooked up though see less use, the Dreamcast and PS2 roughly equalling the Wii and the Mega Drive lagging behind (largely as my Mega CD and a lot of my carts- including TJ&E2- seem to have died).

I'll be getting the Wii U when it comes out and that'll replace my Wii. Assuming I can transfer my VC purchases across.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I currently own: 360, PS3, Wii and a decent gaming PC. I also own a Vita and PSP, when it comes to the portables. My son owns a 3DS, and my other son has a DS and a Ipod Touch. Pretty much the only thing we don't have is an Ipad (we do have an HP TouchPad), DSi XL and PSP Go.

Anyways, here is my take on the Vita:

I think the Vita is an absolutely outstanding piece of hardware. The price however, is too high for the general gaming public. The crazy thing is, when the price was first announced at last years e3 (before the 3DS price drop), I thought it was an amazing price. However, once the 3DS dropped it's price to $169.99, the Vita started to seem MUCH more expensive. Then, when we found out about the whole memory card thing, it became even MORE expensive. It's amazing how the perspective on something can change so quickly. What once seemed almost like a bargain, now seems very much overpriced. I don't blame people for not being interested in the Vita, when you pretty much have to spend about 3 big ones, to walk away with a brand new Vita, memory card, and a game or two. 300 clams is a lot to ask for a portable device that isn't an Ipad. (Don't get me started on the whole Apple thing)

I didn't pay retail for my Vita, and I admit that is part of the reason why I love it so much. I was bumping around on Craigslist one day, and noticed a bunch of Vita systems for sale. I decided to shoot a lowball offer to one guy on Craigslist, and was shocked that the dude accepted my lowball offer. Thus, I'm now a Vita owner. The thing is, I paid less than $200 for the hardware, and I've only paid about $18 or so per game that I have (currently have 6 Vita games). I got an amazing travel case for only $10, and I've been able to get memory cards for about half their retail price.

I absolutely love the Vita, but a big part of it, is the fact that I've been able to get all my Vita stuff at a pretty hefty discount. It's hard for me to blame the general public for not supporting the Vita, when most of the general public is not going on craigslist lowballing people for deals, lol. Most of the general public just wants to go into Best Buy or GameStop, and just pick up a Vita, but they start looking at the wall of Vita games, and notice that 99 percent of the games have a $39.99 price tag on them. So, they walk out of the store without a Vita. Not surprising, because I would behave in the exact same manner. It's truly a shame though, because the Vita is really an absolutely amazing handheld. Every time I'm playing Fifa Soccer or MLB 12 The Show, I have to pinch myself to convince myself that I'm not playing some magically shrunken portable PS3 system. I mean, seriously, Fifa Soccer and MLB Baseball are so close to the PS3 versions in visual fidelity that it's a bit scary. Same thing with Uncharted and Wipeout and Hot Shots golf. All of these games have absolutely blown me away with their quality. That 5 inch OLED screen is truly breathtaking. The amount of detail that you're able to see in a game like Hot Shots Golf is truly extraordinary.

My only complaint with the Vita at this point, is the pricing of the PSP games for download on Vita. I guess I must have been out of my mind to think that I would find a plethora of PSP games for about 5 bucks that I could download to the Vita. To my amazment, I couldn't find a single PSP game for 5 bucks. I did find some TG-16 and Neo-Geo games for $5.99. Now, if those TG-16 and Neo-Geo games were $1.99 or maybe even $2.99, I might actually consider a few of them, but no way on God's green Earth am I paying 6 bucks for those games. I would have loved to buy Daxter for PSP for like 5 bucks, or maybe even 6 or 7 bucks, but for 15 bucks? Are you kidding me? That's my biggest beef with the Vita at the moment. Other than that, I'm in absolute 7th heaven with my Vita. I can't wait for May 29th and the release of Resistance on the Vita.
    Last edited by WCP; 04-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

I have all three.

I had the Wii first which I got dirt cheap working at rent a center. I actually put some money into getting a backwards compatible PS3. I just had an xbox 360 given to me because it was collecting dust. I said it might as well collect dust at my house and he gave it to me. I don't know if i'll ever play it though. I actully enjoy the wii, but I need to do some remodding on it before I can play it again and have been too busy playing PS3 to fix it.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, have them all but the iPad. They all have top tier games that a gamer needs to play. The VITA has yet to get started, but Uncharted was a fantastic launch title. Not Super Mario 64, but great.

The Wii is obviously losing support. Developers are holding back releases for the Wii-U. We see this everytime a new console or handheld is announced. There might be a game or two left in the pipeline, but it's done, as is the DS and PSP.

Many of the PS3 and 360 games we see now are getting a PC release as well....so I wait for the PC release, even if it is delayed a few months after the console launch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default All 3 here...

The PS3 does my Netflix duty, plays Blu-Rays, lets my son play Need for Speed: The Run, downloads demos for the whole family, plays my Child of Eden and Heavy Rain in beautiful high def, and most recently needed an upgrade because I had filled up 59 and 3/4 gigs out of the stock 60. So one 320gb hard drive and 9 hours later, i'm right back in business with the one console that dominates most of my gaming time.
    That being said, the Wii is currently burning up some Mario Party 9 and Twilight Princess like it's going out of style. The 360 Elite is the upstairs console to play things I would rather not have my son exposed to just yet, like Catherine and Otomedius Excellent. Whenever a mature title needs to be bought, it's probably going to be a 360 game in my house, and the controller just feels so good anyway...
    Wife has a 3ds and is loving it with the street pass feature causing her to keep that sucker on hibernate in her purse all the time. She likes the built in adventure game, earning coins and puzzle pieces, and throwing down on some Harvest Moon 3d. I got myself a copy of the Kid Icarus: Uprising for $30 at Target, and after waiting for 20 years I don't give a damn what score Game Informer feels like giving it ( a 7, by the way ), I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.
    Lastly, I've got a PSP. I don't need a Vita. That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

All but the Vita. PS3 is in the living room, mostly played by the kids and wife, and used for Netflix. When we can pry my son from Skylanders, that is. Wii is also there, wife's favorite system.

My 3ds gets regular play, I love it. The 360 is in the man cave, hooked to the big TV. Usually has Netflix on, buts sees plenty of game time from me. The 3ds and 360 are my current favorite systems.

I also have a PSP, modded for emulation. Sees some play, not much. That's part of the reason for not buying the Vital yet. Thar, and rediculously overpriced memory cards.