Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of you own every modern console? (and your perspective on modern gaming)

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I own all three and the 3DS, and they all have their uses. The 360 is for gaming with friends and XBL Arcade games, the PS3 is my media server, Netflix machine, and blu-ray player (and also where I play most single player games), the Wii is for collecting dust, and the 3DS is for road trips.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I currently own everything but a Xbox360, with the massive rise in developers going 3rd party their aren't enough exclusives to really interest me in picking one up. I started this console generation with the thought process of just dumping new console money into upgrading my PC. At the time almost everything not locked down to an in-house studio was going multi-platform but I eventually picked up a PS3 to play games online with my friends.

PS3 : I get a ton of play outta this and is my gaming platform of choice when it comes to multiplayer with buddies. I also enjoy the huge selection of exclusive titles on the system along with region free importing of whatever I want. I also use it as a Netflix box and bluray player with it definitely being the most used platform this generation.

Wii : Only picked it up late last year but its been sitting silent for a while now. Its not for a lack of titles, I've just been buying more older PS3 games and running through what I can cheaply. That being said Sonic Colors was fun..and that's about it.

PC : Took a massive nose dive with the advent of everything needing a steam logging to play your game. That being said Stalker and its sequels are now one of my favorite IPs in gaming and I also play a lot of Total War (various) and strategy games in general. Finally signing up to GOG has led me to pick up a ton of older titles though and I'm spending much more time on my PC because of it.

PSP/Vita : My handheld of choice for most of this and partially last console generation. I enjoyed the wide variety of games it had to offer and I usually had one close by at all times. I really enjoy the vita so far with its solid lineup of launch titles and great hardware. Now I'm just waiting for more PSP official support, PS1 support, and more games.

DS/3DS : I piked up a DS pretty late but I enjoyed it all the same. Advance Wars Days of Ruin is definitely my favorite of the series overall and felt like the most well balanced of all the AW games. Several other games like The World Ends with You and China Tows Wars, along with great hardware (DS lite) made me love the system. The jury is still out for me on the 3DS. I hadn't had many games for it until recently and I am not a fan of the hardware so for a while it was sitting on my shelf unused. That being said I now have the prerequisite Mario titles along with Kid Icarus so my opinion of it may soon change.

On the state of gaming, I play new games and enjoy them...so there is that.

The only thing I find pretty disappointing is the route that FPSs have taken since the success of COD4:Modern Warfare. I really enjoyed both that game's campaign and multiplier but I'm getting pretty sick of every new shooter trying to apply the same mold of success to their game. Its the exact same rut that the MMO industry has been stuck in for even longer with the success of WOW. I don't know what I want to change but I do know that FPS games have the potential to tell a compelling story and instead of getting closer and closer to a gaming equivalent to Black Hawk Down, since COD4 the stories to Modern Warfare-style games have gotten either more ridiculous or more boring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Lots of varying opinions. I have a resident evil edition xbox 360, 60gb ps3 and my girlfriend has the mario anniversary Wii. I used to play the 360 pretty regularly, I love the Gears of War games and Forza series, but I picked up the ps3 this last December and it has been seeing more use. I use it for Netflix, movies and lately have been playing more games on it. I haven't picked up a 360 game since November. I never play the Wii, I feel bad since I still like Nintendo but I don't enjoy the motion controls. I do play the DSi XL regularly though.