Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis D-pads

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Genesis D-pads

I noticed something recently while playing Battletoads.

I was on the level "Clinger Winger" and even though I was hitting all the directions right, I seemed to never build up enough speed to outrun the buzzsaw of death. Then, at random I noticed I would go faster if I double-tapped a direction.

I had been using the same 3-button controller for years (I only use six-button controllers for six-button games, for the rest I prefer the classic) and had never noticed it before, but I realized the D-pad is actually kind of loose. It doesn't exactly fit the space its in--there's a gap between it and the edge of the inlet. So I started to suspect, and then I plugged in my six-button controller. Sure enough, this time I beat the level in one go, without having to double-tap.

When I looked into my controller collection (its not very extensive) a bit more, I noticed that I have a first-generation 3-button controller. I can tell its first-gen because of how short the cord is. But I also noticed it has a more solid D-pad! So I guess Sega just got cheap when the Model 2 came out, right?

So, this is a message for anyone who finds they really, really suck at either Battletoads or Contra: Hard Corps -- You might actually be right to blame the D-pad.

(Going to eBay to hit up some extension cables now)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always try to play with the 6 button controller, I think it has the best d-pad of all time.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by atarikurt View Post
    I always try to play with the 6 button controller, I think it has the best d-pad of all time.
    Agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Mainly I don't like the 6-button ones because they're not as comfortable, so I use them only when I have to.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

This post

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    When I looked into my controller collection (its not very extensive) a bit more, I noticed that I have a first-generation 3-button controller. I can tell its first-gen because of how short the cord is. But I also noticed it has a more solid D-pad! So I guess Sega just got cheap when the Model 2 came out, right?
    I thought the original controllers had a longer cord and that it was shortened later on, these first ones had red lettering on the buttons and the plugs looked different to later versions. There were actually several versions of the 3 button controller made, I came across several over the years and the later ones really were poor quality. The quality slowly got worse over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually have one of the red-button models. The problem is, some of the buttons and directions don't work. Is this something that could be fixed by cleaning the PCB with rubbing alcohol?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Is this something that could be fixed by cleaning the PCB with rubbing alcohol?
    It's possible. I had a SNES pad like that where the start button wouldn't work at all. I cleaned the board and now it does work, but you still have to press hard for it to work. Cleaning it might get it to work but it won't work as well as a mint condition controller that was well taken care of and barely used.

Or it could be caused by the cord being damaged, if that's what's wrong you might be out of luck. I think the cord is soldered to the board so you can't swap it easily from another controller like with TG-16 pads. I'd have to open a Genesis controller again to check, it's been maybe a decade since I've opened one so I can't remember for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I had an SNES controller with a start button issue too. Blackened a lot of erasers trying to clean it, but now it works (more) reliably.

Found my Model 1 Genesis controller and cleaned it, and after awhile the B button (which was bad) started working reliably... but then I found out the controller has a very sensitive left and right on the D-pad (I often try to shoot strait up or duck in Contra Hard Corps, and wind up moving sideways instead). Went back to using the one with the "loose" D-pad, where I know exactly what I'm pressing every time.

So... I guess the D-pads that are good for some games, aren't good for others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I had an SNES controller with a start button issue too. Blackened a lot of erasers trying to clean it, but now it works (more) reliably.
    I had a SNES controller with the same problem but I just pushed in the cord harder into the controller (not the console) and it has been working since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember reading an article (on sega 16 i believe) about the different variations of genesis d-pads. i can half confirm the article in that the quality of several different styles of 3-button genny pads i own are different, but i havent opened them to confirm that it was due to different designs.

but i will also concur with the previous posters that the d-pad on the six button controller is the best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

There is also a big difference in how the D-pads of the different controller versions are constructed. For instance, on some, if you completely take off the upper shell of the controller, there will be a big circular hole that the whole round D-pad fits in. On others, there will be circular recessed area that the D-pad fits into with a much smaller hole in the center. Through this small hole the D-pad part connects to the piece on the other side that actually pushes the buttons. I believe that this is the better working construction between the various controllers.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    i remember reading an article (on sega 16 i believe) about the different variations of genesis d-pads. i can half confirm the article in that the quality of several different styles of 3-button genny pads i own are different, but i havent opened them to confirm that it was due to different designs.

but i will also concur with the previous posters that the d-pad on the six button controller is the best
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ntroller-dpads Here's the thread. There is indeed a model of the 3-button controller that has the 6-button dpad style. As for which controller has the best dpad ever, it's between the Saturn's and Genesis 6-button's.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ntroller-dpads Here's the thread. There is indeed a model of the 3-button controller that has the 6-button dpad style. As for which controller has the best dpad ever, it's between the Saturn's and Genesis 6-button's.
    thank you for doing the legwork, when i post at work im blocked from a lot of websites (but not dp)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None of Genesis controllers ever felt comfortable in my hands but the 6-button.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

6 button for me as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Yes, Yes, and Yes
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    None of Genesis controllers ever felt comfortable in my hands but the 6-button.
    I'm with you on that - I hate the original controllers, even all these years later with bigger hands than when I was little. The 6-button still feels comfortable..it's a lot like the original xbox controller vs the revised smaller one. I stored 6 brand new 6-button controllers about 8 years ago online in hopes i wont ever have to worry about another controller issue again lol..
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I must be the only fan of the original 3-buttons on this forum.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must be the only fan of the original 3-buttons on this forum.
    You're also the only person having trouble on Clinger Winger on this forum.

Joking aside, I like them. They fit in my giant basketball player sized hands well. Used to have two with the revised dpad. Included them with a console I sold to a friend a few years back. I do still prefer the 6-button controller though.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click