Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some Contra opinions

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Need some Contra opinions

So now I'm looking to get into this series. The only game I actually own is Contra: Hard Corps and the phrase "work of art" barely begins to describe it.

Things I want to know though, are:

1. How good are the arcade emulations on the "Konami Classics" for X-Box 360? What's better, those compilations, or importing the Oretachi Contra disk for PS2?

2. I know Legacy of War is considered bad but I wanna play it anyway. Are there any notable differences between the PS1 and Saturn versions?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The emulations are good, but the arcade Contra games just plain suck, to be honest. The control is extremely sluggish. Stick with the NES versions. Operation C for Gameboy is pretty decent too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Contra 3 on snes is awesome too. There is also Super C on the nes and Contra shattered soldier on the PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade Contra games are irritating with your full-body flips whenever you hit the jump button. Actually, a rotating flapjack would better describe it. Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME. I don't know how the Xbox 360 version addresses that. Stick to the NES versions.

In my Contra-lovin' opinion, the PS2 game Shattered Soldier is the best Contra game ever! It's f'n hard, but it has fantastic level design, creepy bosses and multiple endings. It's also a game that rewards those who learn its mechanics. In fact, you won't even see the last couple of stages if you play lousy in the first few levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME.
    For some reason a lot of Konami arcade games do that, including Haunted Castle and both the Contras.

I played them on MAME and personally enjoy them, but I haven't played the NES ones in years so I don't know how they measure up.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I DO love the NES version of Contra, I've got lots of love for the arcade version of the game.

I know that's not a popular position, but I put plenty of time in to that game in arcades prior to ever playing the NES version so I prefer it.

The 360 ports of Contra and Super C are very good IMO and don't suffer from any slowdown. I believe that the limited continues are in place in both games.

As stated above Operation C on Gameboy is awesome too.

There's even a colorized version of it on a 4-game collection that Konami made available in Japan and Europe.

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So, nobody has ever thought to compare the PS1 Legacy of War with the Saturn version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edmond Dantes, if you're starting to develop a taste for Contra, I highly recommend Contra ReBirth for Wii Ware. It has a decidedly retro flavor to it, and it is quite simply an awesome run' gun irrespective of any generation of gaming. It might sound gimmicky, but I really love "popping" my Wiimote to cycle through the guns rather than using the Classic Wii Controller. The worst critique I have for the game is that it is a bit short, but I still felt like I got my money's worth.

As far as new generation Contra games, my buddy in Arizona said Hard Corps: Uprising for the PS3 Network (or Xbox LiveArcade) is a kickass anime adaptation of the series. I haven't played it, but it looks interesting enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So, nobody has ever thought to compare the PS1 Legacy of War with the Saturn version?
    Not really. The PS1 version sucked. The other PS1 Contra game(C: The Contra Adventure) also got pretty low reviews but I felt it much better accomplished being a Contra game than LOW.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Also, the arcade Super C has limited continues, at least on MAME. I don't know how the Xbox 360 version addresses that.
    I think you can use the Konami code for inifinite lives but you're stuck with a rapid machine gun throughout and no achievements while using the code.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Not really. The PS1 version sucked. The other PS1 Contra game(C: The Contra Adventure) also got pretty low reviews but I felt it much better accomplished being a Contra game than LOW.
    I've played the Saturn LOW but not the PSX version. It's 3D gimmick was having to wear those 3D color lenses so the game would pop out from your tv screen, which I've never tried. Otherwise the game is a sorta like an angled overhead/topdown view with a loose, floaty feel to it. The last stage is notable in that it is on a 3D world, kinda. The whole fight takes place on a small moon or asteroid and you just run all over it, and it'll spin around, almost like the world of The Little Prince except instead of scrubbing volcanoes you're trying to kill the alien that pops out of them.

C:The Contra Adventure wasn't much better, especially since it was only single player if memory serves. The only good parts were the three stages that most resembled 2D, which got worse as it went along. The first stage was a 2.5D stage and was decent. Then the game goes into some terrible 3D mode for about the rest of the game, except for a weightless 2D boss stage and the very last stage. The weightless stage had good music. The final stage was an uninspired 2D level.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If you like the overhead shooting levels of Super C, Neo Contra (PS2) is a pretty decent game. It's not great, but it's still pretty fun to play.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer Super C (NES) to Contra (NES) since I grew up with Super C. Comparitively, Super C has a higher sprite limit, allowing you to fire more rounds at once. I also prefer the overhead levels to the behind-the-shoulder ones to Contra. The difficulty is a little more forgiving (I can make it to level 5 without dying in Super C). The only problem with Super C is the straightforwardness. Most enemies just rush at you from ahead or behind, something which gets old pretty quick if you're used to behing shot at from below and above in Contra.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    If you like the overhead shooting levels...
    I've never been a fan of the overhead perspective in Contra- at all. I always thought that the game's flow lost considerable steam when it switched to the overhead view. With that said, I felt it worked much better on Contra III than on Super C.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Neo Contra much more than Shattered Soldier. Shattered to me was unbelievably frustrating and cheap. I know it was designed by one of the heads of the original Contra, but it's just not fun. Neo Contra on the other hand is pretty good fun.

Haven't played Legacy of War, but struggled to like Contra 4 on the DS. Graphically it looks intense, really well done, and the stage design seems nice, but I just find it frustrating and couldn't get into it.

My favorites: Contra (NES), Super C (NES), Operation C (GB), Contra III (SNES), Contra: Hard Corps (Mega Drive! Has life bar!) and Neo Contra (PS2). Haven't played Hard Corps: Uprising yet.

The Gameboy game is rather good, but short like a lot of GB games. It feels pretty similar to the NES versions, but the jumping is a little off. You get used to it though.

I still think the NES ones are the most fun because they provide the right amount of jumping space. The smaller sprites allow you see more of the screen and jump around in that floaty way. Contra 4 reminded me of the arcade versions, with the narrow horizontal space, and more vertical space.
    Last edited by stalepie; 04-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've probably got the best game in the entire series already!

The JP version is significantly easier than other regions, plus has a pretty cool story to boot.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    You've probably got the best game in the entire series already!
    That's what I'm afraid of. Although there seem to be some who argue Contra III is better.

Incidentally I have the U.S. version of Hard Corps. I thought of importing the Japanese version because of the life bar, but when I thought about it, one-hit kills are series tradition. If I'm gonna live with it in every other game, might as well stick with it here too. (Besides, the JP version is hella expensive and I want to be able to follow the story).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(Besides, the JP version is hella expensive and I want to be able to follow the story).
    I am more than content to be blissfully unaware of the story in the Super Famicom version of Contra Spirits (Contra III in North America). If there is an entry in the Contra series with a non-disposable story, it's news to me. Besides, the Japanese version of Contra III has bonus goodies (unlimited continues, stage select, and a code for 30 extra men just as the good Lord intended) that the North American version is sadly bereft of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Errr, the line you're quoting was about Hard Corps, not Contra III (Hard Corps actually does have a story).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Errr, the line you're quoting was about Hard Corps, not Contra III (Hard Corps actually does have a story).
    Yes, I was aware that you were writing on Hard Corps and not Contra III. I was, however, unaware that the Genesis version of the game had an actual story worth watching over a smattering of forgettable text begging to be skipped. My apologies for not being more clear. I should have started my response with something like, "While I don't know personally about Hard Corps, I am more than content to be blissfully unaware of the story in the Super Famicom version of Contra Spirits (Contra III in North America)..." Bad/murky communication skills on my part.
    Last edited by treismac; 04-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Skip the arcade versions. They suck ass.

Contra and Super C are the best as they're difficult but fair. Contra 3 is good, but a bit unfair at parts. Hard Corps I've only passed stage one once in my entire life. Not a fan.

I'd say if you're a Contra fan, you might also be interested in trying out the Metal Slug series, Gunners Heaven, and Gunstar Heroes.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.