Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some Contra opinions

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I actually already have Gunstar Heroes and two of the Metal Slug games (the NGPC ones). I love them, though I prefer Contra's more serious atmosphere and H.R. Giger monstrosities... at least, that's what I'm in the mood for right now. Definitely gonna pick up the Metal Slug Anthology some time though.

And yes, Hard Corps has a story, complete with choose-your-own-adventure bits where you get different dialogue and story developments (and, in turn, different levels and different endings) depending on which choices you make. Granted, its still a kinda simplistic one, but I think its nice.

I've managed to get to I think level 6 in Hard Corps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I've managed to get to I think level 6 in Hard Corps.
    Damn. You really seem to relish difficult games, Edmond Dantes, as I recall your not too distant dive into the heart of madness that is Ghost n' Goblins. Did you ever record a video of you playing the game or any other game? I'd be curious to see your skills in action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone finally released a patch that will enable the JP version's life bar in the US version of Hard Corps, if that interests you.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

As stated above Operation C on Gameboy is awesome too.

There's even a colorized version of it on a 4-game collection that Konami made available in Japan and Europe.

While the collection was released in Japan and Europe, only the European release is in colour. Japan just got standard black-and-white releases.

Also note that although the game on the collection is called "Probotector" instead of Contra/Operation C, it still has the original human characters and not the robots that were in the original game boy release in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Someone finally released a patch that will enable the JP version's life bar in the US version of Hard Corps, if that interests you.
    How would you apply that to a Sega Genesis cart?

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Damn. You really seem to relish difficult games, Edmond Dantes, as I recall your not too distant dive into the heart of madness that is Ghost n' Goblins. Did you ever record a video of you playing the game or any other game? I'd be curious to see your skills in action.
    I get so caught up in video games that I forget to record them (that and my webcam and its built in microphone pick up damn near everything, and the few videos I did make had some embarrassing moments). I'll begin making an effort at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Feather View Post
    While the collection was released in Japan and Europe, only the European release is in colour. Japan just got standard black-and-white releases.

Also note that although the game on the collection is called "Probotector" instead of Contra/Operation C, it still has the original human characters and not the robots that were in the original game boy release in Europe.
    Yeah, I've read about Probotector. I'm almost interested in getting the manuals just to read the storyline.

Great news guys, I picked up two more Contra games: Operation C and Super C (the store also had Contra, but wanted $20 for it and I won't be able to afford that until my next paycheck. I'm seriously thinking of going for an all-CIB collection of each game though).

I definitely wouldn't mind having that Konami GB Collection. Just from the box-art, it looks like it not only contains Operation C but also Castlevania Adventure and Nemesis. Surely a must-have lot.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 04-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How would you apply that to a Sega Genesis cart?
    Well, you wouldn't. That sort of thing is strictly limited to those using an emulator or a flash cart of some sort. (Apparently the relevant code was completely removed from the US version, so there's no chance a simple Game Genie hack could fix it.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Did you ever record a video of you playing the game or any other game? I'd be curious to see your skills in action.
    I tried to upload a video of an attempt at Hard Corps earlier today, but it was going S-L-O-W, and because of company I had to call it off.

Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to try and make videos upload to Youtube faster? Right now the only thing I can think of is quality reduction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

THREAD REVIVAL ILLUMINATION!

Well guys, something wondertastical happened today. You will never believe it.

I... BEAT CONTRA (NES)!

Twice! Turns out there's a second loop if you let the credits run thru. I figured I'd keep going until I ran out of lives and continues, and I had lost all my continues on the Hangar level of the first loop, so I figured I'd never finish it...

I wound up getting to the Waterfall level on the Third loop before finally being able to quit. It was almost like the game held me prisoner for awhile.

And the best part is I recorded the whole thing onto a DVD. It will always bring back the fondest of memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I salute you, Dantes! Back in the day beating Contra is a rite of passage as far as I'm concerned. I never attempted to beat it two times in a row, though. To the best of my memory, it doesn't offer any added challenge like Super Mario Bros. does with replacing goombas with buzzy beetles the second time around. I'd give Contra a second go around if there was something extra thrown in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It seemed to me like it throws some extra enemies at you (I found myself getting rushed by those football guys on the exploding bridge, when usually said bridges are enemy-less), but otherwise its not significantly harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now it's time for you to beat Super C! I think it's my favorite of the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Contra week

Forgive me for pimping my website but its relevant to the topic. When I first started my site I did a featured week on Contra, and reviewed all of the console entries up to C - the Contra Adventure. If the opening hasn't already feel free to read my reviews on each game to get a better understanding of why they are good (or not so good).

Contra Week - http://www.retrogameage.com/?p=981

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I enjoyed those reviews!

And I'll consider jumping on Super C.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

And the best part is I recorded the whole thing onto a DVD. It will always bring back the fondest of memories.
    Do share with us!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Youtube is saying its gonna take a long-ass time to upload the full video, so I'll PM you when its up.

Question: How do you all feel about the Spreadfire? Does it make the game too easy, or is it the Great Equalizer? I'm thinking of attempting a no-Spreadfire run, to make sure I won due to skill and not because I had a cheap weapon (although, I didn't use the spread throughout my entire run--sometimes I died, or experimented with a different weapon--but when I had it, I tried my best to keep it).
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 05-16-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Youtube is saying its gonna take a long-ass time to upload the full video, so I'll PM you when its up.
    Hit me up with a PM as well, Dantes.

Question: How do you all feel about the Spreadfire? Does it make the game too easy, or is it the Great Equalizer?
    Love the Spreadfire. It is amongst the greatest power-ups in video games in my book. I still remember vividly fighting for possession of the coveted power-up with friends of mine during childhood. She was the hot girl everyone wanted, and would do anything to get. All friendships were off when it was time to scramble for her hand.

Does the Spreadfire make the game too easy? Not as much as the infamous code does anyway. I could never in good conscience turn my back on her. She has taken too good care of me in the past to ever seriously consider such a course of action.

And I'll consider jumping on Super C.
    Consider nothing. Jump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

All right guys, here's my needlessly long game of Contra:

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

Enjoy.

I haven't jumped on Super C yet.. wanted to give myself a bit of a breather first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that you beat the US version, you should really try the famicom version of Contra. There's cutscenes, the trees sway in the first stage, there's falling snow in the snow level, etc.

Just watch the intro to it, and also about 37 seconds in, and you'll get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNolYpbcq8

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Contra is easy. Give it a few more tries and you can counterstop it. I did. On the FC version even where I had the joys of getting killed by bullets that blend in well with the snow on the Snow Field stage. You can hit the 6,553,500 cap before Loop 10. The difficulty increases seem to stop around Loop 5, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately the 1UP award system has a cap too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Impressive Contra skills in your videos. I'd proudly take down Red Falcon by your side, Dantes.