Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari 7800 - What Did You Think?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Atari 7800 - What Did You Think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_7800

What did you think of Atari's 7800 Pro System?

This was originally slated to be released in June 1984, but because of the effects of the video game crash of '83 still being afresh (and also the July 2, 1984 sell-off of Atari by Warner Bros. to the late Jack Tramiel), the system was delayed until 1986 when it was released in response to strong Christmas 1985 season sales of the 2600.

When the 7800 finally did get released, instead of there being all new launch-title games for '86-'87, they decided to release it with all the launch titles intended for the system's original 1984 launch. This is because all the launch titles for the 7800 were programmed in 1983-84, and also explains why you see a 1984 copyright for Atari in the game's ROMs.

The 7800 has backward capability with the 2600 library, although not all 2600 titles will work on the 7800, including Coleco's Time Pilot.

7800 launch titles in 1984 included:
    CX7801 - Centipede
    CX7802 - 3D Asteroids
    CX7803 - Dig Dug
    CX7804 - Food Fight
    CX7805 - Galaga
    CX7806 - Joust
    CX7807 - Ms. Pac-Man
    CX7808 - Pole Position II (included with 7800 console)
    CX7809 - Robotron: 2084
    CX7810 - Xevious
    CX7811 - Desert Falcon
    CX7812 - Millipede (cancelled)
    CX7813 - Jr. Pac-Man (cancelled)
    CX7814 - Track & Field (cancelled)
    CX7815 - Ballblazer
    CX7816 - Rescue on Fractalus! (prototype only)
    CX7817 - Crystal Castles (cancelled)
    CX7818 - Moon Patrol (cancelled)

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 04-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the 2600, a C64, NES, and an Amiga and loved the arcade. So while I wasn't a total game nerd, I enjoyed them. What I always thought was interesting to me was it wasn't until about 1991 that I had ever heard of or seen a 7800. I came a across it in like a weird store of some kind. If I recall they had a bunch of them so it may have been like a store that bought old stock and sold them. The 7800 was completely unknown to me before that day. I ended up buying one in about 98 when I got back into the retro thing. (I figured it played all the 2600 games as well.)

So I must have been busy with cars and girls and completely missed the 7800 the first time around. Either that or it was barely advertised.

I do remember when the 2600 was only $50 though from the TV ads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What Wikipedia failed to mention is that the Atari 7800 was NOT included in the 1984 sale of Atari to Jack Tramiel. The Atari 7800 property belonged to GCC. Hence the short Atari 7800 relase by Atari Inc. was just that, very short. Warner sold Atari Inc. to Jack, and the 7800 rights reverted back to GCC.
    It took Jack two years of negotiation with GCC to get the 7800 back and finally release it. Trouble was that Jack had no new games to go with the console, and every developer was getting onto the NES bandwagon. Times changed, people wanted to play platformers, not shoot'em ups anymore.

Nice console, with Maria they did have a hell of a chip, it could move any number of objects of any size in all possible directions on the screen. Robotron 2084 where you have 70 robots running all over your screen...without flicker. Joust, 10 different colours...etc....

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I never saw/played one until the late 90s, despite my family having a 2600 pretty much my whole life (born in '83). My friend had one with DK Jr. and Pole Position 2. I think, had it released in 1984, it would have given the NES a run for its money. Unfortunately, being released after the system that was delivering masterpieces like SMB, Metroid, Kid Icarus, (not to mention all the arcade-perfect ports), it was doomed from the start. Too bad, really.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 7800 is an awesome machine, but it really doesn't compare to the NES. Galaga is one of my key tests. Granted that the 7800 comes in second among home ports, but the NES beats it by a mile.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Actually, I liked the system. It would be hooked up with several others if I had the room.

To be honest though. I only picked it up for one reason:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250px-NinjaGolf.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	5039

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy it!
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I actually owned a 7800 before I ever had a 2600. Got the system, along with a bunch of 2600 and 7800 cartridges, from one of my brother's friends. Included were both the 2600 and 7800 versions of RealSports Baseball, and the differences were striking. The original AC adapter crapped out after the wires frayed and shorted, but I eventually managed to find a replacement, and I've had lots of fun with the system. My favorite games are probably Joust and Dig-Dug, since they're very similar to the arcade versions.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 04-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Dated when it was released.

I bought one a couple of years ago. It's pretty fun and nice to have because of the backward compatibility. Although it can do some really cool stuff like Robotron 2084, Centepede, it mostly feels like a fancy up 2600. I can still remember the commercials back in the day. While I LOVED all the games they were pitching for it, they were the same games that were already released for the 2600, 5200 and like for every other system. The game looked dated even when they were new.

If anyone wants to sell me Ikari Warriors for the 7800, that would be awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homerhomer View Post
    I bought one a couple of years ago. It's pretty fun and nice to have because of the backward compatibility. Although it can do some really cool stuff like Robotron 2084, Centepede, it mostly feels like a fancy up 2600. I can still remember the commercials back in the day. While I LOVED all the games they were pitching for it, they were the same games that were already released for the 2600, 5200 and like for every other system. .
    And Nintendo is getting away with it for years nowadays. Who'd have thought.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    They have? I mean, yes, you've seen various Legend of Zelda titles rereleased with better graphics, but there have been more new Zelda titles than old ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What is it now? Mario Kart 7 or 8 or so? Super Mario 111? And the same (old) online games on Wii?....Suckers....

I remember the story about Super Mario World, parents shouted: What, $250 bucks for console and game just to play the SAME game (referring to SMB3 on the NES, having just paid $50 for it 1/2 year ago). (Source: book Game Over)
    Last edited by tom; 04-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the 7800, even though I didn't own one during its inital run. It has a small but great library of some of my favorite arcade titles of the early 80's. After the 2600, its probably my favorite retro game system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must be related to kupomogli.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

What is it now? Mario Kart 7 or 8 or so? Super Mario 111? And the same (old) online games on Wii?....Suckers....

I remember the story about Super Mario World, parents shouted: What, $250 bucks for console and game just to play the SAME game (referring to SMB3 on the NES, having just paid $50 for it 1/2 year ago). (Source: book Game Over)
    I don't really like people referring to sequels as the same thing if it's not exactly the same. Most of Nintendo's stuff has different levels, special moves, characters, bosses and music, while the Atari ports we are talking about are trying to represent the same exact board with whatever each system can handle graphics wise.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I don't really like people referring to sequels as the same thing if it's not exactly the same. Most of Nintendo's stuff has different levels, special moves, characters, bosses and music, while the Atari ports we are talking about are trying to represent the same exact board with whatever each system can handle graphics wise.
    Not to mention different physics. Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 is just an updated version of Ms. Pac-Man, not that different from the dozens Ms. Pac-Man games in circulation. Meanwhile, Super Mario World is entirely different in every respect except genre and protagonist from Super Mario Bros. 3. Only an ignorant parent would think they're basically the same game (and let's face it, not every parent, probably not even most parents, played both).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had no idea the 7800 existed until 1995, when I saw one at a flea market. I was lucky enough to start collecting for it when you could get sealed Atari-made games from $.80-$2.00. It's the only complete US collection I have left now. The games are great too, for the most part, especially the arcade ports. When I found out that Food Fight was released for this system, I searched high and low for it (no eBay back then). That's my favorite game for the system. Plus, it looks pretty nice.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Not to mention different physics. Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 is just an updated version of Ms. Pac-Man, not that different from the dozens Ms. Pac-Man games in circulation. Meanwhile, Super Mario World is entirely different in every respect except genre and protagonist from Super Mario Bros. 3. Only an ignorant parent would think they're basically the same game (and let's face it, not every parent, probably not even most parents, played both).
    Ms. Pac-Man is an arcade game from Bally available on numerous platforms (actually a GCC original), why should it be different to any other versions? Bally themselves programmed the 7800 version, btw, totally faithful with the arcade version.

Parents might be ignorant, but they controlled the funds.

Anyway:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...tz_.php?page=5

And the Tramiels did come back, but like you said about the 5200, they just sold the same games over and over again.

AK: Yeah, but Nintendo has done the same thing with their games.

Sure, but Nintendo made major improvements every time out.

AK: Yeah, but so did Atari. However, they were starting from such a primitive system that the improvements had to be small by comparison, and maybe not as good as the fans wanted them to be.
    Last edited by tom; 04-28-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apples and oranges. Super Mario World is a completely different game than Super Mario Bros. 3. Not even close to Ms. Pac-Man on the 2600 and Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ms. Pac-Man is Ms.Pac-Man on any console SMW is just an update (it was also called SMB 4) of a previous Super Mario title.