Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atari 7800 - What Did You Think?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Ms. Pac-Man is Ms.Pac-Man on any console
    Right, which is why the 7800 did so poorly.

SMW is just an update (it was also called SMB 4) of a previous Super Mario title.
    Just because you say it doesn't make it true. I think you need to look up the word "update" and "sequel", since you're clearly confused about what the former means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s_NinjaGolf_5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	5043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ninja_Golf.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	5044After many long years of ninja training, you are finally ready for the most difficult test of all... Nine Holes Of Ninja Golf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to post that. Beyond most of the launch games that were supposed to come out in 1984 and the Nintendo games, what else on the 7800 are "the same games over and over again?" It's a meme. I think there are about 10-15 "old" arcade games that were previously released on the 2600 and 5200, and most of those were from '84. I guess since most of those came out first and they were the most plentiful (Ms. Pac-Man was the best-selling game), those were the ones that stuck with people.
    Last edited by CRV; 04-28-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

I got a 5200 and a 7800 at their respected releases.

The 5200 was my preferred system minus the botched controllers. The outdated library really hurt the 7800, they didn't look much better than 5200 games. In fact, Mario Bros. for the 7800 was actually noticeably inferior to the 5200 version. Also there was confusion as to what games the 7800 could play. Either people didn't know it could play 2600 games, or they thought it could play 5200 games and felt burned when they got it home and realized it couldn't. (Store clerks were partially to blame for this, telling people it can play ALL Atari games because they had no clue the 5200 even existed)

Plus it looked like a stripped down version of the 5200, I think if it had a drastically different look than the older Atari systems it would have helped, not saved it, but helped.

The hardware of the 7800 was underutilized, many argue it was technically superior to the NES minus the dung sound chip. Like someone else noted, Robotron had a crazy amount of sprites on screen moving in different directions with no flicker. Try that NES!

I liked the system. The arcade classic lineup was the best you could get so far at home, but this appeal only lasted so long until Super Mario Bros. arrived.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Right, which is why the 7800 did so poorly.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true. I think you need to look up the word "update" and "sequel", since you're clearly confused about what the former means.
    Just because you say I'm confused that doesn't make it true. I think you need to examine if you even have knowledge about video gaming, since you clearly don't know a lot.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a list of games exclusive to the 7800? I know Midnight Mutants is exclusive to the system, but I'm not sure about the rest of the library.

Also, on the note of arcade ports-is there any reason to pick up any of these for the 7800 instead of for another system? Robotron 2084 seems to be getting quite a bit of respect, so I might grab that one.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    If I'm remembering right tom is from Europe where the NES sold poorly due to very poor marketing and many of the games released there weren't widely available to all areas so it came across as having few good games. What did sell well there was the Sega Master System, when 90% of the good games were European exclusives it makes sense why it did so well even though the hardware was pretty much crap including the almost unusable D-pad on the controllers and poor quality Light Phasers where you have to compensate for the innacurate sight.

It explains why he's severely biased against Nintendo. As much as I don't like Super Mario World(I haven't kept a single copy in my collection to play) I know it's more than just a simple update of a previous game, there is enough changed that makes it significantly different. Maybe he's confusing it with Super Mario All-Stars but otherwise we all know Super Mario World is a sequel and not just an update. I am getting tired though of seeing the same series just getting a new release all the time with all the Nintendo ones lately, I just don't get excited when hearing about a new one coming out.

As for Ms. Pac Man the 7800 version put in the original cut scenes that were removed from the 2600 version so that's something, but it's still Ms. Pac Man so there's about 10 minutes of fun with it by the time it was released on the 7800. Later the NES Tengen version added several options to add to the fun, but this was released years after the 7800 version. There were several better more complex and detailed games available on other platforms by the time Ms. Pac Man came out on the 7800, few people cared about getting it by that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Of course it was a sequel, SMW 4 as it was called, but I like to call it an update, confused people are allowed to do that :-)

Actually, the Japanese hadn't even learned to program 16 bit yet, according to Greg Fischbach of former Activision.

Maybe Miyamoto should have invested in a 16 bit computer way back in the mid 90s, like an ATARI ST or AMIGA to get some programming skills.

Last edited by tom; 04-28-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post
    Is there a list of games exclusive to the 7800? I know Midnight Mutants is exclusive to the system, but I'm not sure about the rest of the library.

Also, on the note of arcade ports-is there any reason to pick up any of these for the 7800 instead of for another system? Robotron 2084 seems to be getting quite a bit of respect, so I might grab that one.
    It had a few exclusives, and although I had a complete collection, I hated the 7800 and I sold my collection in 2006:

Alien Brigade
    Barnyard Blaster
    Basketbrawl
    Crack'ed
    Meltdown
    Midnight Mutants
    Motor Psycho
    Ninja Golf
    Planet Smashers
    Pole Position II
    Scrapyard Dog
    Tank Command
    Touchdown Football
    Water Ski
    Last edited by tom; 04-28-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    If I'm remembering right tom is from Europe where the NES sold poorly due to very poor marketing and many of the games released there weren't widely available to all areas so it came across as having few good games. What did sell well there was the Sega Master System, when 90% of the good games were European exclusives it makes sense why it did so well even though the hardware was pretty much crap including the almost unusable D-pad on the controllers and poor quality Light Phasers where you have to compensate for the innacurate sight.

It explains why he's severely biased against Nintendo. As much as I don't like Super Mario World(I haven't kept a single copy in my collection to play) I know it's more than just a simple update of a previous game, there is enough changed that makes it significantly different. Maybe he's confusing it with Super Mario All-Stars but otherwise we all know Super Mario World is a sequel and not just an update. I am getting tired though of seeing the same series just getting a new release all the time with all the Nintendo ones lately, I just don't get excited when hearing about a new one coming out.

As for Ms. Pac Man the 7800 version put in the original cut scenes that were removed from the 2600 version so that's something, but it's still Ms. Pac Man so there's about 10 minutes of fun with it by the time it was released on the 7800. Later the NES Tengen version added several options to add to the fun, but this was released years after the 7800 version. There were several better more complex and detailed games available on other platforms by the time Ms. Pac Man came out on the 7800, few people cared about getting it by that point.
    The NES failed but the SNES was quite huge in Europe. I'd amassed approx 200 SNES titles before I traded the lot for the awesome PlayStation back then.
    I kept my SNES, and I still love Super Mario World and Mr. Do!.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

My parents bought one in 87/88, after I broke the controller port on our 2600. They liked the fact it was backwards compatible but had new games as well, especially since they had a lot of games for the 2600 picked up during the crash clearance sales.

Having only played 2600 up to that point, I thought it was amazing, and played games like Rampage, Asteroids, Galaga, Fight Night, and Choplifter a lot. In late 1988 (I think) we got an NES, and the 7800 fell a bit to the wayside, but we still got new games for it for another year or so before they became scarce. At that point, I started using my allowance money to buy up as many new ones I could from Big Lots as they did their clearance sale. For a while in the 90s we couldn't play it - the power cable had become frayed and broke apart - but my cousin-in-law had a spare power supply for some reason he gave us.

Still one of my favorite game consoles, and I imagine had I gotten some of the later and weirder games in its run, I'd have had an even more positive view of the console.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by atm55 View Post

The 7800 has a lot of really good arcade ports. Robotron uses two sticks and captures the speed of the arcade version very successfully, and has been mentioned, Ms. Pac-Man was done by the same people who did the arcade version, so it's pretty accurate too.

Centipede, Asteroids, and Joust are all great ports, and the two-player simultaneous modes are badass on all three. Food Fight only came out on 7800, and that's really fun... i would also recommend Ikari Warriors, Commando, and Rampage on 7800 over the NES versions. Ikari and Rampage are closer to the arcade version, and Commando is not only expanded from the arcade concept, but is just head and shoulders superior to that crummy NES port. Dig Dug and Mario Bros. are solid ports, and Donkey Kong and DK jr. are basically the same as the NES version, just with crummier audio.

Hope that gives you a good idea!
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being a fan of 80's arcade games, 7800 is a beloved system in my house. I only wish they had done some missing arcade ports for it, like Mappy, Crystal Castles, Battlezone, Make Trax, Elevator Action, I-Robot, Bubbles, Sinistar and Bosconian.

I realize Nintendo's exclusivity agreement made some of these impossible on the 7800, but it sure would have been nice to see. I don't think the 7800 was ever pushed to its limits by game developers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I picked up a 7800 not too long after I found out it was on the market. And once I realized that Nintendo was a terrible company who were screwing over the American market (alleged chip shortages giving them excuses for price gouging, anti-competitive business practices against Sega and Atari, et cetera) I put my NES in the closet and got more into the 7800 (along with a newly acquired Intellivision and an Amiga 1000).

Here's my question for you guys... which game amongst the launch titles would have been a better pack-in game than Pole Position II? I'm thinking Ballblazer, mainly because it shows how much farther the tech had gone from the 2600. Plus it's a really good, fast paced game for one or two players. The problem with that would be that Jack Tramiel was too damn cheap to license it from Lucasfilm Games to make it a pack-in. Rescue on Fractalus! would have been a better choice if it had been completed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The NES failed but the SNES was quite huge in Europe. I'd amassed approx 200 SNES titles before I traded the lot for the awesome PlayStation back then.
    I kept my SNES, and I still love Super Mario World and Mr. Do!.
    I didn't know the SNES did that well in Europe, I thought the Mega Drive won out like with it's previous SMS system(I guess I was wrong). I really never got into Super Mario World for some reason, since I never got into it I never kept a cart for myself as I didn't want to be stuck with a copy after the battery eventually dies. I'm not really sure why, I have the first 3 Mario games and while they're not my favourite games I do play them occasionally. I wish I could find a copy of Mr. Do! for the SNES, it's one of the harder to find titles for the North American system.

To me Super Mario World is significantly different to the previous titles as it was so large you needed a battery to save your progress, plus it's the first game that introduced Yoshi which added a different gameplay experience. I don't really consider it just a remake of earlier titles as it adds so much, though I get that feeling more with all their current Mario games. That and the modern Zelda games.

I don't think that book you've sourced is reliable, it goes on to say that Sonic the Hedgehog was mediocre and that the only reason it sold well was because there were no other titles to compete with it. It may not have aged that well when compared to it's direct sequels but it was a great game at the time on a technical level not just with it's speed but with introducing momentum-based physics to the platforming genre. It was well made then and still holds up today. Also I don't know what they mean by saying it was produced by an independent developer under contract to Sega, as far as I can tell the developer was created and owned by Sega. Also saying that Super Mario World was a disappointment seems wrong, I'm aware that marketing studies showed kids prefered Sonic the Hedgehog to Super Mario World but it wasn't like it was a failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah Megadrive won, but SNES came a very close second.

The book Game Over is very reliable it had input from numerous people of the industry even from Nintendo US and Nintendo Japan.
    Last edited by tom; 04-29-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Adding text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It had a few exclusives, and although I had a complete collection, I hated the 7800 and I sold my collection in 2006:
    Add Super Skateboardin'. Barnyard Blaster came out for the XEGS (as did Food Fight). Basketbrawl came out for Lynx. Scrapyard Dog did, too, but it looks different. Crack'ed is based on an ST game. Ninja Golf was announced for the XEGS but not released. Pole Position II was an arcade game. Touchdown Football was an Imagic computer game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Super skateboardin was on VCS first?
    The Lynx titles came after the 7800 versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super skateboardin was on VCS first?
    Skateboardin' and Super Skateboardin' are different.

The Lynx titles came after the 7800 versions?
    Yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan View Post
    When I found out that Food Fight was released for this system, I searched high and low for it (no eBay back then). That's my favorite game for the system. Plus, it looks pretty nice.
    Me too. I had never played food fight before the 7800 and really enjoyed it. So simple yet so much fun. Love it.