Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Space restoration for CGE 2012

Insert Coin (Level 0) RetroGaming Roundup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Computer Space restoration for CGE 2012

CGE has owned this game for a while but it sat in their storage facility for a long time, and it had a rough life before they acquired this rare gem. Last year at CGE we talked over getting it restored and thanks to Pete out in Vegas it was packed up and shipped to Scott at RGRUP who wrote the book on Computer Space so that it can be ready for the museum at CGE.

The package arrives;

The game looks easy from 15 ft;

But up close the game has allot of damage;

The metals are pretty corroded;

The back board is delaminating;

And the edges are wrecked;

Check out our show at www.RetroGamingRoundup.com

We LOVE CGE

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Forget the Computer Space, I want to know more about that Ferrari.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is how the RetroGaming Roundup crew rolls.

We LOVE CGE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Italian car, Dixie flag. Makes sense.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Neat machine, classic look.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh... nice! I didn't know that it had arrived. I can't wait to see how it looks once you're done w/ it... make it look half as good as yours and it'll be a museum piece.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the party and car show out of the way it is time to get to work on CS. Here is the first part of the job, making the cabinet solid. Mice had built a nest and through digging and pissing they had done allot of damage. Computer Space is made up for a main fiberglass body with a monitor support fiberglass frame bonded in. The base and the back are plywood that is bonded into the main body. The plywood was debonded from the body so I had to clean that up and rebond them, as well as adding in additional support through gussets made up of resin and chopped fiberglass. Now that the cabinet is solid and not falling apart it is ready for the edges to be cleaned up and the wet sanding to start.

Notice how the fiberglass shell is separating from the plywood back.

Remains of a mouse nest, to be honest it was an afterthought to leave this last bit in for a pic, it was a hell of a mess.

Looks a bit uneven? Well Computer Space was anything but even, a half inch or inch here or there was how they were made.

Last edited by RetroGaming Roundup; 05-23-2012 at 07:22 PM.

We LOVE CGE

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Also doing a restoration of a Blue CS

Hey I came across your post, while researching parts of a blue CS that I just bought. Thanks for posting pictures as you complete your restoration. Mine has damage in nearly the same spot as yours, but a different corner. Additionally, mine is incomplete (missing the shroud and tv).

Do you have any tips on where to get the proper paint for the shell? Also is your CS's paint job rough on the flat spots of the game but smooth on all the curves?

Also do you have any idea where one goes about finding spare parts of these things? I found flippers.com but i'd really like to hang on my arms and legs for the moment.

Good luck on your restoration!

Name:  bluecs.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  8.0 KB
    Last edited by heavysixer; 06-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The paint job on CS should be the same feel on all surfaces, allot like the feel of a bass boat or any other metal flake painted product.

My schedule is to to get the CS on its way to Vegas not later than mid July so it will be there in time for CGE, so I can tell you that most of your questions about how to fix that crack and the paint products will be answered here over the next few weeks. I should have a post up with more progress sometime this week.

Here are some pics from my own CS when I did the paint; http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3945

As to flippers.com, he has a stash of parts and he knows it, there are no other regular "in stock" suppliers and he knows that, and charges accordingly. That stash of parts he has is slow moving at those prices but with so few on hand and such a limited market he is making as much as he can. The alternative to his store is a constant trolling of the auction sites and sites like KLOV, and word of mouth.

The TV is a tube type, and by that I do not just mean it is not a LCD, the circuitry supporting the picture tube is a tube based receiver. In the end there is nothing special about it, many of the small portable TVs of the late 60's and early 70's are the same thing. One important note is that the video signal from the PCB is not fed into the tuner, the tuner has been bypassed and it feeds directly into the chassis. Most any tube type portable of that era could be modified to work. The signal the game produces is similar to NTSC and can be displayed on most B&W security monitors (I use one for testing).

The shroud is a fiberglass or plastic shell (both variants were made) that is not hard for any decent fiberglass shop to reproduce from an original. And that is what flippers almost certainly did was head down to a shop and have it done, probably at $30~50 a pop depending on how many he had made. You could do the same if you found someone willing to risk their original to make a mold from, obviously he had one on hand. And naturally the rarity of the game makes that difficult. And alternate method would be to just make one, which isn't that hard. You know what the front and back sides have to look like and can make a template of both, the rest is just making a wrap around then you have what you need to make a mold from. I would suggest buying Sportplane Construction Techniques by Tony Bingelis. It is about building aircraft but everything you need to know is in there, it is no different and in fact much easier than building an aircraft nosebowl or cowl. I build airplanes for a hobby and that is where I picked up those skills.

A great resource for understanding CS is our interview with the co-designer of Computer Space Ted Dabney, you can find it here; http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/sh...24_2010.10.htm

And be sure to check out our friend over at www.computerspacefan.com
    Last edited by RetroGaming Roundup; 06-04-2012 at 05:44 AM.

We LOVE CGE

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks very much for the follow up post. I'll pour through the resources you gave me. I found a fiberglass surgeon here so i am hopeful he'll be able to patch the game good as new. I'll be following your progress through the process though and most likely will be one step behind you all the way!

Best of luck,
    Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The paint has arrived and the "body work" is nearly complete. Pretty soon I will start the paint process. Metal flake is not hard to do but you have to understand which parts of the procedure to ignore, modify and obey. The ratios of hardener/clear, and temp ranges are all valid, however the gun pressures and nozzle sizes are all wrong. The pressure on my HVLP is set to almost 20PSI (and a high CFM compressor is a must) when spraying the mid coat with the flake. The reason being at the recommended pressure you get a flake here and there and it is murder to get a good pattern, at 20PSI you can move fast and get good coverage.

The products used are from TCP Global and product codes for doing a Computer Space (Blue) are;

UB1901 Jet Black base coat, this is sprayed first and provides the base over which the metal flakes are sprayed
    UBC825 Mid Coat; this is what the metal flake is mixed into to spray the middle coat over the black base
    KC210 mixed with KH-212 which is the clear and hardener that is sprayed over the mid coat/ metal flake layer

Metal flake part# is KUS-FXX where the XX is dependent on the color and size

The control panel is coming along as well, and I swear I will get pics up soon!

-Scott

Hey, and Heavysixer, get your ass to CGE in Vegas and you can see this one and I will give you all the help you need in person.
    Last edited by RetroGaming Roundup; 06-12-2012 at 08:41 AM.

We LOVE CGE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am still finishing the sanding which isn't very interesting for pics, I took some time off to finish out a few components that are more exciting to look at. Here is the coin return and the control panel;

The coin return as it was;

As it is now;

The control panel as it was;

And as it is now;

We LOVE CGE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The damaged areas are all repaired now, this area was the worst part where the control panel area had split open. It is thin fiberglass to begin with and little surprise that many have been damaged here. I made a jig to form it into shape and flooded it with resin, then laid in several layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. Much stronger now.

The paint is here, the gist of the process is that with all the body work complete you spray a jet black base coat, followed by a mid coat which is clear with the metal flake mixed in. This is all topped off by a top coat which is catalyzed urethane that hardens all the layers. The paint will be on by the end of the month, after that is all reassembly.

We LOVE CGE

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would it be possible to get a shopping list from you (paint i mean), considering I am restoring the exact machine you are working on. Also you mentioned that other TV's fit the computer space opening... are you using a GE TV or something else?

Thanks for the detailed pictures it's great to follow along!
    Last edited by heavysixer; 06-25-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh good! I have been thinking about that cab since I layed eyes on it - hoping that someone would resurrect it. I'm happy to see that it's in good hands.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Oh good! I have been thinking about that cab since I layed eyes on it - hoping that someone would resurrect it. I'm happy to see that it's in good hands.
    this looks great good work glad to see it being restored. I would love to get around to owning some machines even if I had to restore them (nice ferrari to is it a 355)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The blue Computer Space is now back in Vegas and should be on display in the museum.

Pete

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woo hoo! I can't wait to see it at CGE.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	and_it_s_gone_by_celeith-d5div3y.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	6471  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=270169

It has been found. Brent on KLOV found it.