Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Hardware and Software sales - Famicom to 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Hardware and Software sales - Famicom to 3DS

I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I just did some calculating. The tie ratio for the Wii is *higher* than it was for the NES and SNES!

Here are worldwide Nintendo game-to-console tie ratios (as of March 31st, 2012):

HOME CONSOLES:

NES/Famicom: 8.1 games per console sold

SNES/Super Famicom: 7.7 games per console sold

N64: 6.8 games per console sold

GameCube: 9.6 games per console sold

Wii: 8.5 games per console sold

PORTABLE CONSOLES:

Game Boy and Game Boy Color: 4.2 games per console sold

Game Boy Advance: 4.6 games per console sold

DS: 5.9 games per console sold

3DS: 2.7 games per console sold
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I just did some calculating. The tie ratio for the Wii is *higher* than it was for the NES and SNES!

Here are worldwide Nintendo game-to-console tie ratios (as of March 31st, 2012):

HOME CONSOLES:

NES/Famicom: 8.1 games per console sold

SNES/Super Famicom: 7.7 games per console sold

N64: 6.8 games per console sold

GameCube: 9.6 games per console sold

Wii: 8.5 games per console sold

PORTABLE CONSOLES:

Game Boy and Game Boy Color: 4.2 games per console sold

Game Boy Advance: 4.6 games per console sold

DS: 5.9 games per console sold

3DS: 2.7 games per console sold
    Yeah, I noticed this too, but I wonder if it's an apples-to-apples comparison. Wii had an awful lot of downloadable games, and I wouldn't be surprised if those counted towards its tie ratio. Do you know?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Could also be the result of cheaper games on the Wii compared to NES pricing, same with the GCN. Overall, though, the ratios are nothing to shake a stick at. Even the N64 is rather admirable given the overall slim library and high cost compared to its contemporaries. Of course most of those sales are probably the result of a billion copies sold of the same 6 games but still.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 04-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I noticed this too, but I wonder if it's an apples-to-apples comparison. Wii had an awful lot of downloadable games, and I wouldn't be surprised if those counted towards its tie ratio. Do you know?
    I don't know, but either way (disc-based, download-only, or both), it means people are buying and playing a good amount of games on the Wii...which contradicts those who say most people only bought a Wii to play Wii Sports and nothing else.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Counting VC and downloadable games as "software sold". How delicious.

I love corporate spin.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, but either way (disc-based, download-only, or both), it means people are buying and playing a good amount of games on the Wii...which contradicts those who say most people only bought a Wii to play Wii Sports and nothing else.
    Or buying them, playing them once or twice like Wii Fit, and then chucking them under their bed. Those who say people only bought Wii to play Wii Sports are certainly misinformed. However, I'd still like to know how Nintendo counts software sold. Is Wii Sports included? How about Wii Play? That "game" was in the NPD top 10 for years, literally, but I'd bet a majority of people bought it for the extra controller as opposed to the game itself. I wonder if M$ and Sony do the same in terms of mixing cheap downloadable games along with more expensive retail stuff. I understand why they'd rather lump the two together, but it's a little deceptive if they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering a very small handful of Wii games (like Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, and New Super Mario Bros.) sold more than 125 million copies alone, I assume the total software sales - and thus, the attach rate - *doesn't* include downloadable games.

However, I don't like the attitude that downloadable games shouldn't count as "real" games.

And there was a study from a couple of years ago that showed Wii owners played games only 30 minutes a day less than Xbox 360 and PS3 owners. That doesn't seem like they're only playing games once and then putting them in storage, but who knows?
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

However, I don't like the attitude that downloadable games shouldn't count as "real" games.
    I tend to agree. A game is a game no matter how small. Or etherial in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I tend to agree. A game is a game no matter how small. Or etherial in this case.
    I'm certainly not trying to belittle downloadable games, but saying Wii has a larger software tie ratio in comparison to platforms that only had expensive retail games isn't telling the whole story. It's a distinction absolutely worth making and tells a far more accurate story, assuming platform holders do indeed mix the two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

saying Wii has a larger software tie ratio in comparison to platforms that only had expensive retail games isn't telling the whole story.
    Which of the other two competing consoles only has expensive retail games, and no downloadable games?

Anyway, I already posted that while I'm not 100% sure, it seems likely that the Wii's tie ratio only includes physical disc-based games.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, in all fairness, they are including Wii Sports in the total sales and therefore the attach rate, so it's not like that represented an actual sale since it was a free pack-in. Also, given the vast size of the shovelware and sub $20 library on the Wii, it's not really a sign that sales of software are robust especially since both PS3 and 360 have similar attach rates, but much higher overall software pricing and in the case of 360, a whole second revenue stream from XBL. In any event, it's interesting but really does little to show that people continue buying games for their Wii consoles long term, especially since you could literally have 25% of Wii owners buying up to 30+ games in the lifetime of the console (i.e. buyers like myself and many others here) while the other 75% only bought one or two and still get a similar attach rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which of the other two competing consoles only has expensive retail games, and no downloadable games?

Anyway, I already posted that while I'm not 100% sure, it seems likely that the Wii's tie ratio only includes physical disc-based games.
    You initially posted "The tie ratio for the Wii is *higher* than it was for the NES and SNES!" so I was reacting a bit more to that, to clarify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well, in all fairness, they are including Wii Sports in the total sales and therefore the attach rate, so it's not like that represented an actual sale since it was a free pack-in.
    All Nintendo consoles have had pack-ins, so it's a fair comparison to previous Nintendo console attach rates. All three current consoles have had pack-ins too, so again, of course it's a fair comparison.

Also, given the vast size of the shovelware and sub $20 library on the Wii, it's not really a sign that sales of software are robust especially since both PS3 and 360 have similar attach rates, but much higher overall software pricing
    That makes absolutely no sense. That's like saying "The fact that the PlayStation had a higher attach rate than the N64 doesn't count, because PlayStation had a lot more budget-priced shovelware." There are plenty of lower-priced games on the Xbox 360 and PS3, but even if there weren't, that isn't Nintendo's fault.

I just can't believe that now Nintendo is being scorned for possibly having a higher amount of cheaper games than competing consoles, when back in the N64 days, Nintendo was scorned for having more expensive games. For some reason when it comes to Nintendo, the haters are constantly moving the goal posts. Do you want cheaper games or do you want more expensive games? Pick one and stick with it. And a game sale counts as a game sale, regardless of whether Microsoft charges $60 per game or Nintendo charges $20 per game.

You initially posted "The tie ratio for the Wii is *higher* than it was for the NES and SNES!" so I was reacting a bit more to that, to clarify.
    I see, thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-30-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, in all fairness, they are including Wii Sports in the total sales and therefore the attach rate, so it's not like that represented an actual sale since it was a free pack-in.
    The link I went to said nothing of the sort. No note stating that these figures include games that were bundled with consoles.

As for the thing about pricing, it simply isn't correct. Even following your logic, it simply doesn't apply. The games that sold best on the Wii (Typically 1st party releases) kept their MSRP for extended periods, often years on end.

On the Xbox 360 or PS3, you can quickly find even the most successful games at significantly reduced prices. And hits on those two consoles are almost routinely rereleased at budget prices, something that has been very uncommon on the Wii and only recently started by Nintendo themselves.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The link I went to said nothing of the sort. No note stating that these figures include games that were bundled with consoles.
    Take a look at the total software sales number on which the attach rate data is based. It absolutely includes Wii Sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like you're right.

Initially I thought they were just examples of some of the better selling Wii games or Japanese specific best sellers since I was unaware that Wii Sports Resort had done so well.

Yet it's in 3rd place for worldwide sales.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All three current consoles did not have a pack-in from launch and for most of their lives. Other than a few holiday bundles and theme bundles on the 360 and PS3, there have never really been pack-in games for more than a few months at a time. Also, Wii owners had no other choice but to buy Wii Sports, it's not like there were non-game bundles available until the past year or two.

Software pricing absolutely makes a difference and so does inflation. The fact that Nintendo NES or SNES games were the equivalent of $70+ in current dollars indicates that people were willing to make more significantly expensive purchases which in turn resulted in higher profit margins to Nintendo. Buying a bunch of $10 or $20 third party games means minimal profits to Nintendo on those game sales.

Nobody is moving the goal posts, but the value of attach rate data isn't just the raw number. It's also about what that translates into down the road and whether the company is profitable. Frankly, I like the Wii a lot and I think it has a great library. Having said that, the last few years have been pretty poor software wise and Nintendo's profit and loss numbers this year have borne that out.

All Nintendo consoles have had pack-ins, so it's a fair comparison to previous Nintendo console attach rates. All three current consoles have had pack-ins too, so again, of course it's a fair comparison.

That makes absolutely no sense. That's like saying "The fact that the PlayStation had a higher attach rate than the N64 doesn't count, because PlayStation had a lot more budget-priced shovelware." There are plenty of lower-priced games on the Xbox 360 and PS3, but even if there weren't, that isn't Nintendo's fault.

I just can't believe that now Nintendo is being scorned for possibly having a higher amount of cheaper games than competing consoles, when back in the N64 days, Nintendo was scorned for having more expensive games. For some reason when it comes to Nintendo, the haters are constantly moving the goal posts. Do you want cheaper games or do you want more expensive games? Pick one and stick with it. And a game sale counts as a game sale, regardless of whether Microsoft charges $60 per game or Nintendo charges $20 per game.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All three current consoles did not have a pack-in from launch and for most of their lives. Other than a few holiday bundles and theme bundles on the 360 and PS3, there have never really been pack-in games for more than a few months at a time. Also, Wii owners had no other choice but to buy Wii Sports, it's not like there were non-game bundles available until the past year or two.

Software pricing absolutely makes a difference and so does inflation. The fact that Nintendo NES or SNES games were the equivalent of $70+ in current dollars indicates that people were willing to make more significantly expensive purchases which in turn resulted in higher profit margins to Nintendo. Buying a bunch of $10 or $20 third party games means minimal profits to Nintendo on those game sales.

Nobody is moving the goal posts, but the value of attach rate data isn't just the raw number. It's also about what that translates into down the road and whether the company is profitable. Frankly, I like the Wii a lot and I think it has a great library. Having said that, the last few years have been pretty poor software wise and Nintendo's profit and loss numbers this year have borne that out.
    I wasn't talking about profitability, I was talking purely about attach rates. The general consensus on DP is that people buy the Wii, play Wii Sports and maybe one other game, and then forget about it. I pointed out that the general consensus turned out to be wrong. In fact, people own more games for the Wii than they did for the NES and SNES, which people here on DP consider to be huge successes. It was something I found amusing (the fact that the general attitude toward the Wii is based on BS instead of numbers).

And for the record, the top selling Wii games as of April 2012 are:

Wii Sports (76.76 million)
    Mario Kart Wii (31.91 million)
    Wii Sports Resort (29.87 million)
    Wii Play (27.38 million)
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (25.47 million)
    Wii Fit (22.61 million)
    Wii Fit Plus (20.24 million)
    Super Mario Galaxy (10.4 million)
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (9.48 million)
    Wii Party (7.68 million)
    Mario Party 8 (7.6 million)
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (7.09 million)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.36 million)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (5.82 million)
    Just Dance 2 (5 million)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns (4.98 million)
    Link's Crossbow Training (4.80 million)
    Just Dance (4.3 million)
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (3.42 million)
    Animal Crossing: City Folk (3.38 million)
    Wii Music (2.65 million)
    Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (2.4 million)
    Super Paper Mario (2.28 million)
    Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million)
    Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition (2.24 million)
    Michael Jackson: The Experience (2 million)
    Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2 million)
    Deca Sports (2 million shipped)
    Game Party (2 million shipped)
    Monster Hunter Tri (1.9 million)
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    So Wii Sports Resort is the #3 seller? That doesn't sound right yet that's what it's saying if we're going to take those few examples in each category literally.

I don't think these are necessarily in order of success, they're just examples of some popular software for the platform. And keep in mind that Wii Sports isn't always a bundled game. In fact it wasn't in Japan yet still was a huge success. And look at where this link is coming from.

I'm not saying they're figured in or not figured in, what I'm saying is we really don't know since it doesn't state it on way or another. And even if it does, I fail to see the significance. Particularly before the N64, game bundles were the norm for Nintendo.
    They simply listed the top selling games on each platform. So, yes, Wii Sports Resort is the #3 selling Wii game behind Mario Kart at 32 million units and Wii Sports which sold almost 80 million copies or roughly 10% of the total software sales on the Wii.