Thread: EA is now "a great acquisition target" says analyst

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EA is now "a great acquisition target" says analyst

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...t-says-analyst

It's amazing to think that EA, the company that we're used to snatching up our favorite developers can possibly be bought up themselves.

Personally I think that Valve may be an interesting suitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even though with the success Steam has had over the past decade or so has surely made the company much larger and powerful, I'm skeptical Valve is in the position to purchase a company of this size.

Can't imagine the developer purchasing the publisher. EA's revenue is approximately 4 times the size of Valve's. And the percentage of EA's revenue coming from digital sales is approximately equal to Valve's revenue from Steam.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Are these the same analysts who think Nintendo should publish games on competing platforms?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The irony is strong in this one.....
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This whole idea was started with this.

http://msupdate.wordpress.com/2012/0...ce-surges-why/

Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA)’s share price soared today by 6.13%, the most the stock has risen in the last four months. Average price ended the April 26 NASDAQ trading day at US$15.93. But why? Because reports are emerging that Tokyo-based free-to-play publisher Nexon Co. Ltd. are in talks to purchase the company. In the mean time, Nexon’s stock fell (TSO:3659) fell 2.31% to close the April 26 TSO trading day at 1,524JPY per share.

It is said that it was Nexon which contacted EA to try to work something out. Both companies are refusing to comment on the reports and rumours. “Nexon has a policy of never commenting on rumors,” the company said in an e-mailed statement. Jeff Brown, an Electronic Arts spokesman, said in an e-mail that the company doesn’t comment on rumors or speculation.

In the calendar year ended December 31, 2011 Nexon reported revenues of US$1.12 billion while EA is expected to report revenues of US$4.17 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. EA has a net worth of US$4 billion while Nexon has a net worth of US$6.8 billion.

Experts are saying that the deal either wasn’t even being considered in the first place or that it won’t work out and I agree with their reasoning. Research different experts’ views on this. We’ll just have to wait for these rumours to be dispelled or confirmed and see how this acquisition discussion ends up.
    I'd be shocked if EA was taken over by a free-to-play game publisher like Nexon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    EA's revenue is approximately 4 times the size of Valve's. And the percentage of EA's revenue coming from digital sales is approximately equal to Valve's revenue from Steam.
    And you know this... how ?

I thought that Valve is a private company, and any guess about it's revenues, is just that... a guess. I kinda doubt that Valve could buy EA as well, but I still think Valve is making way more money than most people would assume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're estimates, but there's a good bit of information out there about the value of the company, their revenue from Steam, etc. I'm sure they're in the ballpark at the very least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be honest, as much as I dislike EA I'd hate to see them bought out by a Non US company.