Thread: Mad Planets and Zoo Keeper

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mad Planets and Zoo Keeper

Alright I went to California Extreme( http://www.caextreme.org/ ) this weekend, and had a great time. There were many cool prototype games and lots f ither fun stuff to be seen and played. However, there were two that really stuck out for me, because they were regular release games that i had never played and I really , really liked them! The games in question were:

Mad Planets
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...M&game_id=8489

and Zoo Keeper
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...&game_id=10540

My inquiry is this, were thes games ported to any home system? if not, are there any clones or play-alikes of these games. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

-deadtech

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zookeeper is one of my all time favs! But I don't know of any existing home version although these days it plays great on Xbox Mame.

Of course there was the 2600 version that was announced in Atariage magazine, but no one knows if it truly exists now (or do they).. either way I dunno if the proto is floating about.. I guess time will eventually tell Either way, I'd be happy to see even a piece of crap version of Zookeeper on the 2600.. It'd be real interesting :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I'd imagine that due to the multi-rotation of Mad Planets it was never ported.

Mike Gedeon of Video Game Connection has one. Currently, its sitting next to my Gottlieb Krull another rare Gottlieb arcade game.

I think Gottlieeb also made Qbert. Maybe if they put together a Gottlieb Collection disk you'll get to see Mad Planets one day but don't hold your breath.

Adam

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zoo Keeper's some mad fun. There's a slightly similar game, minus the characters, on the 2600...is it Wall Defender? Someone else may have to correct me on that, but the gameplay is somewhat similar in theory.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You can get the "Mad Planets" clones "Crazy Comets" and "Mega Apocalypse" for the C64... and damn fine they are too

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I love both of those games too! They each have a very unique SOUND, too, don't they! Zookeeper is always so LOUD with that whining jump and thup thup thup of bricks as they fill in. And Mad Planets... that background thumping. GREAT stuff.

I'd highly recommend MAME for both games. Zookeeper's a no-brainer, it will play great even on the slowest of PC's with just about any controller (how I miss the days of 4 directions and one button). Mad Planets was a pain in the ass to configure on MAME but once you get a button combo you like, you're golden. I'd imagine this game would play rather well with a controller that has shoulder buttons so you could rotate the ship with those.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both games ROCK - they were in constant use at CGE a couple years ago. The Zookeeper machine was for sale at the show as well, if I remember correctly. I'd always hoped Mad Planets would have come out for the ColecoVision, seems like it would have been a nice fit for the Roller Controller.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.