Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Shadow Squadron

The 32-bit version of the DP Random Game Generator (tm) has chosen Shadow Squadron for the 32X today.

I remember thinking WOO HOO! Now THIS is 32-bit! While the 32X library isn't totally crap, there really aren't many titles that gave us the impression that we were getting into the next era of technology, either. A few superb titles like this and Virtua Racing are testaments to how well the 32X add-on could manage polygons. Surely the Genesis could not do this alone.

What are your thoughts on the game? Write your own mini-review here.

DP Guide sez:

Shadow Squadron (32X, by Sega) $5/R2 +
    a.k.a. Bullet Fighters, Stellar Assault
    Designed by Kohji Tsuchida, Toshiyuki Kuwabara, Shigeru Yoshida, Tomohiro Maki. Simulation/Space Combat. EASTER EGGS: There is an undocumented "turbo speed" move in the game. To execute it, tap B twice, then press and hold it a third time. SANTULLI SLANT: So THIS is what the 32X can do! See, it all makes sense now. Good handling of polygons, lots of things going on at once, plenty of sound, multiple viewpoints... yeah, this "feels" like 32-bit. This is my favorite 32X game, a cross between the 32X Star Wars Arcade game, 3DO's Star Fighter, and Activision's Dreadnaught Factor. It's a short game at six missions but the missions can take some time to complete, especially the mothership attacks where you have to knock out those bad boys piece by piece. Plug in. Blast off. Game ON. [Gr: 8, So: 8, Ga: 9, Ov: 9] Released 1994. #84509.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

It was nice. i almost beat it once. Only had like 2 or 3 more glowing areas to hit on that sun laser but then it killed me. It might just be me, it's nice playing through it once but if I have to continue it feels like a chore having to go through it again. Maybe because the missions take awhile.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I LOVE blasting ships to pieces and watching them completely fall apart. It's a great effect that not enough 32X games used. It's a game crying for a Star Wars license.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Shadow Squadron

I think SS is still one of the best games of its kind. One problem that you'll never have in this game is wondering what you have to do next; the goal is always to blow up the capital ships. None of this "defend the frigate" or "lasso the asteroid" stuff here. And you accomplish your goals by shooting at things with your main gun, not managing 10 different weapons and telling your wingmen what to do, or wandering around the space port picking out a craft and loading up weapons.

One problem though; it takes way too long to blow up the ships. You have to hit them like, 100 times. As I remember, they don't shoot very much, or they're not very good at it, or they don't shoot at all (haven't played it in a while). So after you've destroyed the fighters, all that's left to do is hit and run the cap ships, which gets a little old after you've already hit them 50 times.

If it weren't for this game, my 32X and its games would be long gone.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of my top 10 favorite games for sure. I like it so much that I bought the Saturn import sequel when it first came out. One of the games that made me not regret the fact that I got a 32X.
    Anyone have the Saturn version and get past the asteroid level where you have to blow up the reactor?

PG

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite 32X game as well...imagine how good Star Wars Arcade could have been with this engine behind it! I love how the big ships go down slowly, piece by piece, and then shatter when enough of them is gone. Which ship did you prefer? I always went with the ship that had the big hold-down-to-power-up blaster option (I think it had good shields too). Excellent game...I remember my jaw dropping as the 32X was dying, seeing literally DOZENS of these at TRU for $4.99 a pop.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!