Insert Coin (Level 0) Genjackson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Default Jaguar spotted in the wild

Yo, just found a Jaguar in the box with two games also in the box and two controllers. Dude wants $150 for it. I'd have to drive about an hour and a half to get it, so i'm trying to get him to go down to $120. It's still a lot on my budget, but I've always wanted one and this one has the box.

"If I cannot swear in heaven, I won't go there." Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my Jag since 1995 and it is a fun system, but I don't know if it is $150 worth of fun in today's dollars.

See if the guy will come down to $80, then work your way back toward your upper limit of $120.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I've had my Jag since 1995 and it is a fun system, but I don't know if it is $150 worth of fun in today's dollars.

See if the guy will come down to $80, then work your way back toward your upper limit of $120.
    Nice, I started at 80 already, great minds think alike. My last text to him said 120 tops. I honestly don't think its worth $80 dollars of fun. I would just love to have one in the collection.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Don't make any sudden movements.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a loose Jaguar Controller in a Comic shop last friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genjackson View Post
    Yo, just found a Jaguar in the box with two games also in the box and two controllers. Dude wants $150 for it. I'd have to drive about an hour and a half to get it, so i'm trying to get him to go down to $120. It's still a lot on my budget, but I've always wanted one and this one has the box.
    You gotta figure an hour and a half would mean about 70-90 miles depending on how much is city and how much is highway. At roughly 4 bucks a gallon, depending on what you drive, you're looking at about 12 bucks in gas, not to mention your time.

I'd aim for 90 shipped, tops. Unless you want to see it in person before buying, which is never a bad idea. In which case, I'd say 70-80 bucks. They just aren't that valuable at this point.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Don't make any sudden movements.
    Hilarious!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid $50 for a NIB Jaguar system about 10 years ago. Which games are you getting? That would be helpful to know too.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The Atari Jaguar is a natural repellent against Cougars. If they approach and see the Jaguar, you'll hear them cry out "Eww Nerd" and return to their natural habitat to stalk other prey. Thank you Atari for keeping us safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I paid far less than $150 for a brand new Jaguar with the Cybermorph pack-in from Songbird Productions 6 or 7 years ago. I think it was even less than $120 in fact.

Wouldn't surprise me if you could locate a brand new console for around $100 pretty easily online. Best Electronics is selling the Cybermorph bundle new for $150 and are honoring the original 90 day warranty.

$70-$80 is about the maximum I'd pay if I were you unless the included games are decent ones that go for a few dollars to purchase seperately (Like Aliens vs. Predator). If they're junk like Cybermorph and Checkered Flag, you're on the edge of overpaying even at $70-$80 (Although with the games being boxed and a 2nd controller, I don't think you're being ripped off quite yet even if the games are junk).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-02-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I paid $50 for a NIB Jaguar system about 10 years ago. Which games are you getting? That would be helpful to know too.
    I sold a NIB one a few years ago for about the same ... I'm sort of shocked that the market value has actually gone up.

Looks like they're going for $150 or more boxed on eBay in completed auctions...

What's driving those prices? Is it just natural supply/demand?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retro video game prices as a whole has gone up dramatically in 10 years. I wish I had been a serious collector then instead of just now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sources of new Jaguar consoles, once plentiful, have slowly been drying up. Just like what happened with the CD attachment a decade or so ago where it went from being economical NIB to costing a good bit just for a used unit today.

All the NOS dried up. Same thing is slowly happening with consoles. Several sources of new Jaguar consoles are all sold out now and several of the remaining ones seem to have upped their prices in recent years.

Prices of classic games haven't changed too dramatically over the past 10 years from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Sources of new Jaguar consoles, once plentiful, have slowly been drying up. Just like what happened with the CD attachment a decade or so ago where it went from being economical NIB to costing a good bit just for a used unit today.

All the NOS dried up. Same thing is slowly happening with consoles. Several sources of new Jaguar consoles are all sold out now and several of the remaining ones seem to have upped their prices in recent years.
    Yup, this is pretty much it. Essentially what has happened is this -- it used to be that you could buy Jaguar consoles new all day for $40 shipped to you in lots. Those places that had the consoles that cheap dried up of their supplies, and once that supply was gone the prices for Jaguar systems have steadily rose since then. It helps that there are a LOT of games out there that were greatly overproduced that can be had cheaply, so the higher cost of entry with the Jaguar is offset with the extremely low price for a significant chunk of the library, although most of that sucks. It also doesn't hurt that you can generally buy yourself a console and 10 games, and then sell them all for about the same price.

A few Jaguar titles have become stupid expensive lately, but I think that is driven by over 50% of the library being really easy and cheap to acquire.

The same stuff has happened with other consoles. A few years ago, I was able to purchase 32X consoles all day for $20 in box, and I actually apparently got the last shipment of those when we bought about 50 of them. Started selling them at $30 apiece and they weren't selling at all, but about six months later when we found out we couldn't get any more and upped our price to $40 just to try to make them last, I think we sold about 25 of them in a month, which is just ridiculous. Boxed 32X consoles still are worth more than that, but again, you have a significant portion of the tiny library that was overproduced and extremely easy to find now.

Prices of classic games haven't changed too dramatically over the past 10 years from what I've seen.
    Depends on what you're looking at. *Certain* Jaguar titles have been on the rise, but not many. The one market that has really taken off is high end NES collecting, and I think because that has been so public, it drives a lot of the perception out there. There definitely has been a raise in certain items there (mainly nice boxed titles), but beyond that it's been a pretty usual, fluctuating market.

I guess it's like anything though, certain things have gone down in price (2600 titles) while others have gone up. Nothing new in the world of collectibles
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Depends on what you're looking at. *Certain* Jaguar titles have been on the rise, but not many. The one market that has really taken off is high end NES collecting, and I think because that has been so public, it drives a lot of the perception out there. There definitely has been a raise in certain items there (mainly nice boxed titles), but beyond that it's been a pretty usual, fluctuating market.

I guess it's like anything though, certain things have gone down in price (2600 titles) while others have gone up. Nothing new in the world of collectibles
    Oh, there's certainly exceptions both ways, but I was talking about in general. Things go down (Such as 2600 prices now that many of those fans have what they want or relived their memories and moved on) while other things go up. NES interest rising in recent years for instance thanks to thousands of kids that are now adults with disposable income allowing them to fulfill childhood dreams.

But average it all out and I haven't seen significant swings in either direction. Classic game prices certainly haven't risen dramatically. Just look at the threads around here for evidence of that. Every few weeks it seems you'll have someone popping up expressing awe about how prices have risen so much lately. And a few weeks later, you'll see someone doing just the opposite.

Prices vary a ton, but in general, I don't think this hobby is any more expensive than it was 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-03-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Same thing...I paid about the same for mine about 7 years ago. Seems like 100 dollars and up is the norm now
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    guyonthedock_js

Got it for 120 and i'm meeting the guy thirty minutes away from where I work. http://louisville.craigslist.org/vgm/2950870602.html I lied on the 2 controller thing, it only has one, but it does have three games instead of two. I can't tell what one of the games is and the other two are commons, but are CIB. I'm happy with my purchase. They are going for more than that on ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With ebay BIN prices going crazy and driving everything upward these days, I don't think you did so bad.

There are some good games on the system.

Alien vs. Predator
    Tempest 2000
    Ultra Vortek
    NBA Jam T.E. - the closest to arcade of any NBA JAM home port I have seen.
    Cybermorph - some trash this game, but I really like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The loose game is Cybermorph, the console's pack in.

You could've gotten a new Jaguar with Cybermorph for just a few more dollars and the two boxed games are extremely cheap to acquire. But if you're happy, it sounds like a good deal to me.

Time to acquire some fun games for it though that pushed the console a bit. Cybermorph is hated by quite a few people and Zool 2 and Pitfall are solid games, but they don't exactly show off what the console can do.

If you like sprite scaling racers, Super Burnout is a great game (And my favorite release on the console). Tempest 2000 is also a must and was at its best on the Jaguar although it saw releases elsewhere. And if you don't mind old first person shooters, Alien vs. Predator was one of the best from the early days of the genre and is still a Jaguar exclusive to this day. Can be hard to get into it these days though and it's a long and hard game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And if you don't mind old first person shooters, Alien vs. Predator was one of the best from the early days of the genre and is still a Jaguar exclusive to this day.
    Actually AVP was released on SNES also, though not in FPS format.