Thread: Original NES vs Yobo FC Game Console

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original NES vs Yobo FC Game Console

A while back, my original NES broke. Not wanting to be without Super Mario Bros, I purchased a Yobo FC Game Console. Yeah, the thing felt cheap, but it played almost everything I threw at it with minor enough issues that I didn't worry about it.
    Now, a retro game store nearby is getting a few NES systems with new pin adaptors. The owner is selling them for $75, but says that since I'm in there all the time he'd sell me one for $50.

Would an original NES be worth $50 when I have the FC Console? (NOT the Twin...just a standalone NES clone).
    Now, these are gonna have new pin adaptors -- what's the biggest reason the originals wear out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 369WIERDO369 View Post
    A while back, my original NES broke. Not wanting to be without Super Mario Bros, I purchased a Yobo FC Game Console. Yeah, the thing felt cheap, but it played almost everything I threw at it with minor enough issues that I didn't worry about it.
    Now, a retro game store nearby is getting a few NES systems with new pin adaptors. The owner is selling them for $75, but says that since I'm in there all the time he'd sell me one for $50.

Would an original NES be worth $50 when I have the FC Console? (NOT the Twin...just a standalone NES clone).
    Now, these are gonna have new pin adaptors -- what's the biggest reason the originals wear out?
    Where do you live? You can buy an original NES for $20-30 or less and spend less than $10 on the 72-pin adapter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in PA in the suburbs of Philly. This is one of the only places around that sells this stuff and the only one that isn't a Play n Trade. If I buy from him I know everything will be working well and put together right.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're happy with the clone you don't really need an original IMO. I have tons of clones and the issues tend to be so minor they don't bother me - people seem to blow small inaccuracies out of all proportion with these things.

The one problem they all(?) have, though, is complete incompatibility with a few games (maybe like 1% of the library) - it varies by clone, so you'll have to research yours to find out which games don't work with it, and if you intend to buy any of those games it's probably worth getting the real thing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What version of the FC Game Console do you have? Does it have a red power LED between the Power and Reset buttons or does it have a blue power LED under the Power button? If it's the former (the FC Game Console Version 2), an NES is only really necessary if you want to play games the FC Game Console won't play (Castlevania III, though there is a way to make Castlevania III work on some clones) or if a game makes heavy use of DPCM (sampled sounds) as the FC Game Console Version 2's DPCM is quiet and screwed up. If it's the latter (FC Game Console Version 1), you really should invest in a real NES (Front-Loader model if you can't solder). Those FC Game Consoles have the typical reversed duty cycles NOACs and full-motherboard clones with UMC chipsets are known for (some games sound completely wrong on these things). Also, don't waste your time buying a new 72-pin connector. Just tighten the existing cartridge slot and you're good to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    What version of the FC Game Console do you have? Does it have a red power LED between the Power and Reset buttons or does it have a blue power LED under the Power button? If it's the former (the FC Game Console Version 2), an NES is only really necessary if you want to play games the FC Game Console won't play (Castlevania III, though there is a way to make Castlevania III work on some clones) or if a game makes heavy use of DPCM (sampled sounds) as the FC Game Console Version 2's DPCM is quiet and screwed up. If it's the latter (FC Game Console Version 1), you really should invest in a real NES (Front-Loader model if you can't solder). Those FC Game Consoles have the typical reversed duty cycles NOACs and full-motherboard clones with UMC chipsets are known for (some games sound completely wrong on these things). Also, don't waste your time buying a new 72-pin connector. Just tighten the existing cartridge slot and you're good to go.
    I have the blue LED.

As for incompatibility, I can't find anything about this particular clone.. :/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You really should invest in an NES. Those older FC Game Consoles are quite crappy. Compatibility problems are well documented on this clone. The newer ones are a lot better, and if you want a cheap alternative to a real NES, the FC Game Console Version 2 is the way to go. It's also sold by RetroBit as the Retro Entertainment System (I have this clone and for the approximately $20 this thing goes for, it gives you more than your money's worth because for something that cheap, you wouldn't expect it to perform very well, but I can assure you it's a damn fine clone despite not being 100% accurate or compatible) and by Hyperkin as the RetroN1. If you keep seeing expensive original hardware and don't want to dish out that much money, those $20 clones will serve you well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either way, that is not a great deal for an NES and the guy knows it. No, I don't blame him, but I can't believe he's getting away with $75. You get junk NESes for $15, 25 at the highest (and he's probably paying less from whoever turns them in), new pin adapters probably $7-12 (and sometimes these are REALLY bad quality and you don't want them in there anyway). Maybe the rest comes from labor, but the $50 is the -real- in-store price he should be charging, and if he really likes you he'd charge less. He's acting like a car salesman. We all gotta make a living I guess.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

toss that god damn yobo in the fucking trash where it belongs. ALWAYS use official hardware. Yes $50 bucks is a decent deal if the pin adapters been replaced and its local. Most systems sell for $40 that are refurbished so the extra ten bucks, fuckin whatever if its close to you and u can just go get it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    toss that god damn yobo in the fucking trash where it belongs. ALWAYS use official hardware. Yes $50 bucks is a decent deal if the pin adapters been replaced.
    It's like, you couldn't be more wrong on both counts.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its like, you dont know what youre talking about mr 14 post count. Dont even try bringin the smack Ill lay you out. ALL I collect is NES and Famicom. Yobos are fucking trash and nothing more. $50 is NOT a bad price for a refurbished LOCAL pick up. Tell me where you can buy a $20 refurbed NES locally? oh yeah, nowhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you familiar with the term "ad hominem"?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

There was a local game store selling NES 001's for $20 with all hookups around here last summer. You can refurbish them yourself by breaking off the fourth pin on the bottom of the lockout chip. Now whoever said $50 is a good deal. I'll sell you my extra for $40. All it needs is one of those black plastic things that pushes the cartridge down from a broken unit or something and it will work like a charm.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

$50 is a good deal. It takes time refurbish one of those systems.