Thread: Best SNES Mega Man X?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best SNES Mega Man X?

There's a lot of talk as to which Mega Man game for NES is the best. It's a great series, but I'd like to hear opinions on Mega Man X.

I like Mega Man X3 about as much as X1 despite having only played X3 on emulator and rereleases. I'd love to track down a copy since the X Collection version uses the inferior PSX version.

<EDIT> Wanted to make this a poll, but got the dreaded "Database Error" when making the thread. Now I can't add poll options.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

X1 and X2 are about even for me. I probably like X2 more for some of it's extra creativity but at this level of perfection picking favorites is kind of moot. X3 isn't bad but I definitely rank it at the bottom of the SNES games and actually rank it below X4 and possibly X8 among the entire X series. It just comes off as overall less interesting than the others, has some awkward pacing and stage design, and has a soundtrack that's like a drill to the head.

If you do like X3, check out the fully playable Zero hack. It's awesome and had Capcom done it that way in the first place the game probably could have gone without some of the more annoying elements that were built in to limit Zero such as the overuse of mid bosses and doors.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first one for me. The second and third were great, but I really feel as if the first one encapsulated that true struggle which I felt in the NES games, except way more bad ass. The music was excellent, graphics superb, enemies/levels interesting (these two things I didn't like about the other two as much as the first), and overall was just very satisfying. I still play the X's (up to X4, never played X5 or later), but the first has a special place in my heart.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The original Mega Man X. I like the third game, just not as good as the original. Mega Man X2 kindof sucks.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm partial to X2, but that's mostly due to the one I've played the most of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mega Man X1 by a wide margin. Both sequels were good, but felt too similar, albeit lacking a certain.. something. X1 also has the best darn soundtrack I've ever heard in a game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While the original X is the only one of the 3 I have ever owned a physical copy of, I still prefer both X2 and X3 over it. I like the bosses and stages in X2 the most and the music in X3 the most.

While I still enjoy Mega Man X and it's a very solid game that I enjoy playing fairly often, for me there's just something that feels bland about it compared to the others.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked megaman x3 the best, I used to rent it all the time during the 90's and always had a blast with it. I found it alot more difficult then x1 or x2. x2 is probably a close second for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden_Darkness View Post
    I liked megaman x3 the best, I used to rent it all the time during the 90's and always had a blast with it. I found it alot more difficult then x1 or x2. x2 is probably a close second for me.
    Agreed but to me I liked the music much better than the other Snes mmx games. I remember pausing it on Zeros theme just so I can listen to it over and over and air guitar to it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I don't like about X3, and something my friend pointed out to me, is that a lot of the upgrades are useless. For instance, the Ride Armors you can unlock are never useful, except in single instances to get other upgrades.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The best one is all of them! Seriously its hard to choose, because you play one so much you get bored of it... then you play the other two and they're familiar yet fresh. Then you want to go back to the one you've played before and suddenly its fresh again.

The best trilogy on the SNES in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I love all three, but the original Mega Man X just has such a special place in my heart. I can honestly say it's my favorite game of all time. When I was little, I remember coming home from school just to play the game. I love the boss names in that game, like Storm Eagle and Chill Penguin. It's really dangerous when I pick up the game, because I absolutely have to beat it in that sitting because I just love it so much.