Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 3 the “w/hole experience”

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Diablo 3 the “w/hole experience”

So I finally attained my copy of Diablo 3 last night after work at about 8:00 arrived home at 9:00 installed everything at about 10:00. I was planning to stay up a little later than normal till about 12:30 so I could get in a few hours of play and get past the beta stages that I’ve played a thousand times, yea that was the plan! After about 30 minutes what should happen? A sever crash that’s what, ETA till fixed 2:00 to 3:00am where I’m at. Lovely, if I was in school still this wouldn’t be that big of a problem I would have just stayed up and not gone in today but a career is a bit different from school I’m not giving up a sick day for a game! So here I am at work about to start my ten hour shift hoping that the few hours I’ll have after work I’ll actually be able to play this game.

You would think after all the years of WOW Blizzard would know how to maintain a server. Not to mention the what, 9 months of beta testing!?

How do you guys feel about the “w/hole experience” so far?
    Last edited by understatement; 05-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost want to say I'm shocked that Blizzard is this stupid, but they ARE a game developer after all, and it seems like most game companies have lost their fuckin minds, so why should Blizzard be any different? Did no one stop to think that making Diablo playable online only might be a bad idea for this very reason? Did no one take a look at pre-order sales and think "holy shit this is really going to strain our servers?" HOW THE FUCK DO YOU NOT DO THOSE TWO THINGS?! How is it even conceivable that no one over there thought to make sure they were actually going to be able to handle the number of players? If you can't guarantee that the consumers who paid money for your game can actually play it due to your bandwidth, maybe you should include an offline option like your last two games in the series.

The other really disappointing thing about Diablo 3 is that the specs for what you need to run it are actually kinda specific, to the point that two computers my friend had with BETTER specs had a hard time running the game properly. It wasn't a matter of not having good enough specs, just not the very specific shit the game needed (you need this specific driver, this specific graphics, etc). If you don't have exactly what the game wants, forget playing it. I had the worst experience with slow down (character felt like she was swimming rather than running) and characters and enemies just disappearing and popping up somewhere else. We finally figured out how to tinker with the game settings to get it to work right (and it was a combination of things), but the computer itself had much better specs than what the game was even asking for and still had a hard time running properly.

I had been thinking about buying Diablo 3 but after that I doubt I will. I know my computer isn't going to be able to handle it, and the game, when I could finally play it properly, wasn't really worth the effort anyway.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played for about an hour last night before the server dumped most of the US. Multiplayer game servers are ALWAYS screwed up the first few days after launch...I guess this applies to single-player games now too (very disappointing).

Otherwise it was fun so far. Tons of nostalgia flooding back with the music and sound effects. Good times ahead...I can tell already.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The funny thing about the online only thing is; For the most part they did it to prevent piracy so now that piracy has been prevented and profits are guaranteed what do they do… give the game away for free to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of WOW players!

I wish I played WOW so I got this game for free, there’s nothing I hate more than paying for a game and not being able to play it. All I see is more of the same till most of the WOW players finish the game a few times and go back to playing WOW. I hope I’m wrong and this was a freak occurrences but I have my doubts.
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Somebody's already released version 0.6 of a Diablo III offline client for anyone who doesn't want to play by the rules. EDIT: People are saying it's fake, but I don't have the game to try it. I'm sure a real crack will come soon though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I played about 12 minutes of it, as I did with the beta, said "That's nice" and went back to WoW.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say that the game is appropriately dark as opposed to half of Diablo 2 which was set in a brightly lit desert. It didn't make much sense that parts of it were so dark considering you were outside and all, but it at least had a bit more of a horror feel to it. I kinda really wish they'd make another game similar to the first Diablo tho. Claustrophic, violent, satanic, and depressing. There's never been another moment similar to when you first meet up with The Butcher either in Diablo 2 or what I've played of 3, let alone the ending. The only time Diablo 2 comes close is when you go back to Tristram, lol.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I played about 12 minutes of it, as I did with the beta, said "That's nice" and went back to WoW.
    Or, at least, I would have if those whole mess wasn't randomly increasing the latency in WoW to nearly unplayable levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

First of all I want to state that I have not played a ton of PC games since Diablo II. This is the sole reason I upgraded my computer. I am very happy with the game so far. It is perfect? Nope, but Diablo fans can rejoyce that the actual game does not disappoint.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

It's my understanding that they went online not only to prevent piracy, but to control people hacking and exploiting the game to sell stuff in the real money auction house. They want to create an actual economy: this allows them more control over that.

I'm still wary of a single player game that shuts off your access when the company server shuts down, though. I'll be waiting until the kinks get worked out before I jump in.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far my Demon Hunter is level 10 and I am loving every minute of it. However, I hate the battle.net integration so I can't play offline. I understand piracy is much more predominant now a days compared to back when D2 launched...but still, not being able to play "alone" kind of sucks. I wish they would of had it like D2 where you have to connect to battle.net to play with others. I don't mind having my friends chatting all the time with me or having the option to join with them, but for godsakes, when I want to play alone and I cant because server maintenance, or I get disconnected a bunch because they are still working out bugs...thats just annoying...and the only negative experience I'm having with D3.

For anyone else playing feel free to add me to your friend list: my battletag is Starsong#1389
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    It's my understanding that they went online not only to prevent piracy, but to control people hacking and exploiting the game to sell stuff in the real money auction house. They want to create an actual economy: this allows them more control over that.
    I kind of see that more as an excuse to have the online only thing. It’s not like there’s any kind of PVP or anything (yet?) and only 4 people can be in a party so what if one of them hacks and gets stuff your party will be that much better or you just kick the guy. I can see a need for real money auction house in WoW but this not so much. :/

I'm still wary of a single player game that shuts off your access when the company server shuts down, though. I'll be waiting until the kinks get worked out before I jump in.

It was better last night more like I expected I got kicked a few times (3) and there was a bit of a queue around peak time but not that bad, I did get a good 4 straight hours of play in. There was one thing though after I got kicked the first 2 times the game slowed to a crawl as mobiusclimber described and nothing I did fixed it I had to restart my PC before the game would play normally again. I don’t know if it was just something up with my PC or not but it didn’t happen after the 3ed time and I had a friend playing that it never happened to, so I have no clue.
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I kind of see that more as an excuse to have the online only thing. It’s not like there’s any kind of PVP or anything (yet?) and only 4 people can be in a party so what if one of them hacks and gets stuff your party will be that much better or you just kick the guy. I can see a need for real money auction house in WoW but this not so much. :/
    Sure, it's an excuse, and a back door kind of DRM, but I think you misinterpret what I mean about item hacking and script bots farming rare stuff being a problem for the game economy. It isn't just everyone in Diablo 2 rolling around with 50 Horadric Cubes anymore: Blizzard has introduced a real money auction house into Diablo 3. They get a cut of every real-world dollar spent on every digital item sold. You might not see the need for a real money auction house in Diablo 3, but the Acti-Blizzard accounting department would probably disagree.

It was better last night more like I expected I got kicked a few times (3) and there was a bit of a queue around peak time but not that bad, I did get a good 4 straight hours of play in. There was one thing though after I got kicked the first 2 times the game slowed to a crawl as mobiusclimber described and nothing I did fixed it I had to restart my PC before the game would play normally again. I don’t know if it was just something up with my PC or not but it didn’t happen after the 3ed time and I had a friend playing that it never happened to, so I have no clue.
    That game slowing thing was lag in your single player game: some of the enemy AI routines are stored server side at Blizzard. I'm sure it's great, but I'm not interested in waiting in a queue to play what, for me, is largely a single player game. I'll scope it out in a week or so when the game works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, it's an excuse, and a back door kind of DRM, but I think you misinterpret what I mean about item hacking and script bots farming rare stuff being a problem for the game economy. It isn't just everyone in Diablo 2 rolling around with 50 Horadric Cubes anymore: Blizzard has introduced a real money auction house into Diablo 3. They get a cut of every real-world dollar spent on every digital item sold. You might not see the need for a real money auction house in Diablo 3, but the Acti-Blizzard accounting department would probably disagree.
    Na, I got what you were saying and I see why there doing it. I was, I guess, just trying to say there are other ways of doing it like I have a ton of apps on my iPhone that have off-line play but I can login and pay $0.99 for an item at any time. The way they have it on Diablo 3 just feels like a beta test for WoW (If WoW doesn’t have a RMAH yet I don’t play so IDK) where something like this is actually needed.

That game slowing thing was lag in your single player game: some of the enemy AI routines are stored server side at Blizzard. I'm sure it's great, but I'm not interested in waiting in a queue to play what, for me, is largely a single player game. I'll scope it out in a week or so when the game works.
    I don’t think that’s it. I logged off closed out of Diablo 3 and re-started it, even at the login screen (before actually logging in) there are some birds that fly off that were very slow and I know that screen has nothing to do with Blizzard’s servers in terms of the background animation. It was like my PC didn’t meet the specs for the game so it was running slow.
    Last edited by understatement; 05-17-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Na, I got what you were saying and I see why there doing it. I was, I guess, just trying to say there are other ways of doing it like I have a ton of apps on my iPhone that have off-line play but I can login and pay $0.99 for an item at any time. The way they have it on Diablo 3 just feels like a beta test for WoW (If WoW doesn’t have a RMAH yet I don’t play so IDK) where something like this is actually needed.
    I can see where you're coming from, and for what it's worth I agree. It makes me nervous: I'd bet that there are other developers watching to see how it ends up.

I don’t think that’s it. I logged off closed out of Diablo 3 and re-started it, even at the login screen (before actually logging in) there are some birds that fly off that were very slow and I know that screen has nothing to do with Blizzard’s servers in terms of the background animation. It was like my PC didn’t meet the specs for the game so it was running slow.
    It might be lagging during authentification, checking for cracks, hacks, or exploits before it allows you to log on to battle.net?

As much as I want to play some Diablo 3, I'll wait. I know myself pretty well, and I don't want my first playthrough to be marred by rage. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be lagging during authentification, checking for cracks, hacks, or exploits before it allows you to log on to battle.net?.
    Maybe, I’ll have to look into getting a video capture of it happening or something if it turns into a regular thing.

As much as I want to play some Diablo 3, I'll wait. I know myself pretty well, and I don't want my first playthrough to be marred by rage. Maybe this weekend.
    Yea, personally I wish I would have waited till at least the first big weekend to see how the servers held up but I had my CE version mostly paid for already. So I guess I’ll be one of the ones reporting how awesome it is or how bad it sucks to wait 3 hours in queue to only be kicked off an hour later.

The game is definitely worth some hardship, I just don’t know if it’s worth the hardships of launch day if they're going to be a common thing.
    Last edited by understatement; 05-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I have the game, but like G-boobie I'm waiting to give it a go. Mostly that's because I happen to be engrossed in ME2 at the moment, but I'm kind of glad that is the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The funny thing about the online only thing is; For the most part they did it to prevent piracy so now that piracy has been prevented and profits are guaranteed what do they do… give the game away for free to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of WOW players!
    Well, actually they didn't give it away. You needed to agree to maintain a WoW subscription for a year to get the copy of D3 and since there hasn't been new content in WoW for like 6 months now and won't be any new content until MoP that really wasn't much of a bargain.
    Last edited by Griking; 05-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Well, I am now about 17 hours in. The game is fantastic. Crafting is awesome. The ability to replay a chapter(and not have to restart game) is a great. Dialogue is funny. It is not perfect, but all I can say is I am having alot of fun both single player and multiplayer
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've been watching over my partners shoulder when he plays and I'll admit that it does look interesting. I might sit down with it myself at a later time.