Thread: Wtb 3do

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wtb 3do

Looking to buy a 3DO system. Would prefer to get a controller with it. LMK what you have.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for info- I'd recommend buying the top-loading model, the FZ-10, if you can. Not only is it more reliable due to having fewer moving parts than the front-loading FZ-1s, it also has memory management integrated into the unit itself. THe earlier, front-loading 3DO models has to use a separate memory management disc for saving games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General Catastrophe View Post
    Just for info- I'd recommend buying the top-loading model, the FZ-10, if you can. Not only is it more reliable due to having fewer moving parts than the front-loading FZ-1s, it also has memory management integrated into the unit itself. THe earlier, front-loading 3DO models has to use a separate memory management disc for saving games.
    Being a die hard 3DO fan that I am. I agree and disagree with that. While I agree the FZ-10 does have a built in memory manager, the original model FZ-1 has storage space on the system, but lacks the memory manager function. That is all true. You do need to know which games can be used to also delete old saves on the system to make room for new ones.

Where I disagree is getting the FZ-10 model over the FZ-1. The original model system has more accessories that are designed to be used. Such as the external memory card, Karaoke Model, VCD Module, etc. The FZ-10 models seem to die faster then the front loader FZ-1 systems.

Just my 2 cents

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got an FZ-1 from someone. I'll just use one of those demo CD's to be able to manage the memory. Thanks very much guys. DP is awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I am a huge fan of the system and always enjoy seeing others that like the system also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good glad to see you got an FZ-1. I've had 2 FZ-1's and one FZ-10 in my lifetime (currently an FZ-1). I have never had problems with any three of them at all. I think the reliability thing with the 3DO is just a rumor that's floating around. If you ask me, other CD systems of the time had WAY many more problems (like Sega CD and TGCD\TurboDuo. I just very rarely hear of actual problems with them - and I am talking about the FZ-1.

Sure the FZ-1 doesn't have on board memory management, but it's really no big deal. There are easy ways to manage your files.

Also, the FZ-1 is just damn SEXY and looks AND feels like a high quality console. They are nice and sturdy and heavy. The FZ-10 feels and looks kind of cheap. Just doesn't "feel" as nice when it's in your hands, and it's not as fancy with it's top loading design. The FZ-1 has the appearance of a high end product, where the FZ-10 doesn't in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I have a boxed GoldStar in the closet I got for $10 and guess what - it doesn't work. The FZ-1/10 are reliable machines.