Thread: Sega Vintage Collections dumping lots of old games on PSN and XBLA next wek [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Sega Vintage Collections dumping lots of old games on PSN and XBLA next wek [Joystiq]

Way, way more Master System and Genesis games are on the way to PS3 and Xbox, including the long-awaited release of Monster World IV. Sega announced the next few "Vintage Collections," which will be sold individually on PSN and in bundles on XBLA.

For XBLA, the Monster World Collection brings together Wonder Boy in Monster Land (arcade) and Wonder Boy in Monster World and MWIV for Genesis on May 23. On May 30, Golden Axe's arcade original joins Golden Axe 2 & 3 on Genesis, concurrent with a three-volume Streets of Rage Collection. The collections sell for 800 MSP each.

Meanwhile, PSN will see all of those Wonder Boys, Super Hang-On (arcade), Revenge of Shinobi, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World on May 22, for $5 each.Sega Vintage Collections dumping lots of old games on PSN and XBLA next wek originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 18 May 2012 23:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since they are doing groups of games for the 360 versions and single games for the PS3 I'm going to wait a bit to see if they do another retail compilation for the 360. I'm interested in getting the Streets of Rage collection.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

But doesn't the genesis compilation already have streets of rage 1-3 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    But doesn't the genesis compilation already have streets of rage 1-3 ?
    The PSN and XBLA versions can be played online with other people.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But he's still correct. I didn't realize all three of those games are already on the Genesis compilation disc and I own it. For some reason I thought SOR 1 was the only game in the series on there.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Worth mentioning that Super Hang-On, Monster Land, and Golden Axe are the arcade versions.

Thanks to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, I already can play the Streets of Rage trilogy on the 360 (Also bought the standalone XBLA release of SOR2). Ditto for this Golden Axe collection which just rehashes content already available (The arcade original saw a standalone XBLA release and the two Genesis sequels are on the collection).

So I'll be buying these first two releases, but I don't see bothering with the following two. Just duplicates of content I already can play on the 360 (Not to mention earlier compilations and on the original hardware).

Maybe if they ever go on sale, I'll grab them and go for the achievements and fool around with the online modes a bit. But $10 is too much for rehashes of content already available on the platform that many interested fans will already own. Should've given us some new content like Revenge of Death Adder, a way to switch to the international versions of the Streets of Rage titles (Bare Knuckle 3 especially is supposed to be far better in the Jap/Euro releases than what we got), etc.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-20-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll occasionally play 360 games on my 4:3 Trinitron. Today was one of those days.

Purchased Alex Kidd & Co. Very happy with how well Super Hang-On turned out. Alex Kidd in Miracle World seems to run well. But there is a bit of graphical imperfection with Revenge of Shinobi near the bottom right of the screen. Not sure if it's emulation issues or I'm seeing something that traditionally was obscured by overscan in the past.

Anyways, when did Sega decide to stop properly supporting 4:3 televisions? All the games are letterboxed no matter what options you select. And you can get rid of the pillarboxing only by stretching the game to fill the letterboxed 16:9 area of the screen and distorting the proportions in the process.

Seems strange and lazy to not allow 4:3 television owners to output 4:3 games full screen on a console that fully supports 4:3 SD output, leaving people playing in a window instead.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-04-2015 at 09:03 PM.