Thread: Opinions of the lesser known SquareSoft/Enix titles?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions of the lesser known SquareSoft/Enix titles?

This discussion is about all of Square-Enix's lesser known titles. Not just as SquareEnix, but before the merger even. Anything outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest, like SaGa, Elnard/Mystic Ark, Terranigma, Front Mission, etc.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Well The Bouncer was a fun game as a beat em up. Also while it is a Sqeenix game The World Ends With You is amazing and the best game they made in years.
    Rad Racer was an ok game.

Vagrant Story is fucking amazing. Chrono games of course.

BTW Terranigma was Quintet. Part of the Soul Blazer,Illusion of Gaia Trilogy.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Unless it didn't come in the US, King's Knight and Driving Emotion Type S are the only ones that I would think of mentioning as lesser known Square Enix title. Everything else is pretty much known, just not main stream. King's Knight is decent until you get to the last stage. If all of your characters don't survive and you don't get all the special abilities for each of them, you're not making it past the final stage. I haven't played Driving Emotion Type S, so it's a driving game is all I can say.

But if you're interested in the good Square Enix games that aren't in any of the major franchises.

Threads of Fate
    Einhander
    Ehrgeiz
    7th Saga

That's all I can think of that have been released in the US and isn't in well known list of games. Pretty much everything is well known though so maybe a lot are missing that I just think are already known well enough. There are some Japan only games for NES and SNES, but most of them aren't very good, despite what you may hear or have heard. Front Mission Gun Hazard and Seiken Densetsu 3 are worth playing.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Rad Racer before I even knew who Square was. It was one of the best racing games around back then. I didn't really like Rad Racer II that much but I didn't get to spend as much time with it as I would have liked.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, Rad Racer is a ton of fun!

I had a good time with both Tobal games. Developed by Dream Factory, they were published by Squaresoft. That counts, right?

Found the second one locally a couple years ago, it really is amazing for a PS1 game. The graphics are beautiful and the animation is super smooth. I love all the wacky bonus characters (chocobo, quadripedal robots..). It feels like a slightly slower DOA 2. With fireballs. Gamefan dedicated page after page to hyping this game back in the day, so it was one I had been looking forward to for years, and it didn't disappoint.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This seems more like a classic than a modern gaming question so... to stick with modern instead, I'm going to say that anyone who hasn't played Nier should do so immediately. Funny that pretty much every SquareEnix outing on the big consoles has sucked except this one which they simply published. (Caveat: I haven't played Resonance of Fate yet.) It's got a fun battle system, a great storyline and a terrific cast of characters. Feels really refreshing not to play as an emo twit either (not to say all the character designs are great or anything, but there aren't a ton of unnecessary zippers at least).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Robotrek was a fun, underrated title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heavily second Nier for an overlooked Square game of this generation. The graphics aren't anything that will knock your socks off, but the music is phenomenal It really is a gamer's game with all the homages scattered throughout, and the story is very well done.

With older stuff I see Dew Prism/Threads of Fate was brought up, I also like that game a lot.

On the Enix side, the most obscure game from them I have and played is Torneko: The Last Hope. I picked it up on a whim for about $5 because I saw a slime on the cover. It's an odd dungeon crawler based on a merchant from Dragon Quest games I believe.