Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Wii U will let you use two tablet controllers at a time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Do you think Wii U will let you use two tablet controllers at a time?

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Wii U controllers was playing Madden, and truly being able to hide my play calling during local multiplayer. You've never truly been able to hide your plays, but with the Wii U tablet screen, it would be easy peasy. I mean, in many games that touchpad screen is going to come in REAL handy. Think about Fallout/Skyrim type games. Think of the touchpad screen as the inventory. Mario Kart, of course they would show rear view behind the cart. Same thing with WaveRace and F-Zero.

I just hope you can use two of them on one Wii console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think they will make it an option for developers to take advantage of when desired for two player games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They said they were only going to allow one Wii U tablet to work on the account but maybe allow 3DS connectivity for multiple people to be able to use the tablet features. It's Nintendo's way of telling customers they're trying to sell more 3DS'.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    You've never truly been able to hide your plays
    NFL 2K says hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    NFL 2K says hi.
    I knew somebody was going to bring that up, heh...

Well, the VMU screen is so damn small, that while it was possible with NFL 2K, it wasn't really practical. You could hardly see what plays you were calling. But yeah, it worked to a degree back with the VMU.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    They said they were only going to allow one Wii U tablet to work on the account but maybe allow 3DS connectivity for multiple people to be able to use the tablet features. It's Nintendo's way of telling customers they're trying to sell more 3DS'.
    Or of saving people from having to buy a second tablet controller which likely won't be cheap and giving them the choice of using a system they may already own as a second tablet controller.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Or of saving people from having to buy a second tablet controller which likely won't be cheap and giving them the choice of using a system they may already own as a second tablet controller.
    Or maybe let people use either a 3DS or a second tablet controller. Genius idea!
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What they said at last year's E3 was that their current plans were to limit it to a single tablet gamepad, but that they were exploring allowing more than one to be used and that things were subject to change. I suspect we'll find out at E3 that at least two can be used at the same time. So there's still some hope for those that care about it.

Never seen Nintendo comment about using a 3DS for an additional gamepad.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We probably won't know 100% until E3 or shortly after. I know it comes with 1 controller, but I'm guessing they would allow someone else to bring their controller over or to connect the 3DS....ok well..maybe I don't want to assume that. With the name itself Wii U it sounds like they are focusing on a single multiplayer system...if that makes any sense...they seem to go going towards less local multiplayer and more towards the online gaming maybe. I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't let you use 2 controllers other than to usher people onto their upcoming nintendo network to duke it out.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I suspect if we're limited to a single Wii U tablet gamepad, it's for technical reasons. The console has to be able to support communicating with these things wirelessly and doing such things as streaming a image to it. Going to take a good bit of bandwidth to do multiplayer with these controllers.

Local multiplayer is most certainly a big part of their plans for this console. Standard Wii controllers seem to be what they have in mind for filling out multiplayer rosters as of last year's E3 and all you have to do is look at the Wii to see where their multiplayer focus is.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The odd issue with allowing more than one tablet controller is that it seems silly for a TV-connected console. If everyone has their own screen, why do you need a big shared screen? At that point you're playing handhelds and you might as well be playing a 3DS.

Still, there could be some neat uses for it. I can imagine a "Star Trek bridge" gameplay model where the captain watches the main screen, the science officer accesses the database and does scans on one tablet, and the tactical officer shoots Klingons on a second tablet. I just don't see a lot of developers embracing that kind of gameplay though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think anyone is talking about using the screens as a replacement for your television during multiplayer matches. People have things in mind like privacy when calling plays in football games. Ways that the screen can complement the tv to enhance the multiplayer experience.

While I can see the occasional benefit, I don't think it's a big deal for local multiplayer. Can't think of many more instances other than football games where it seems tailor made for multiplayer and it seems as if football is the thing always mentioned.

And I'm no fan, but it seems to me that football games these days are usually a more solitary experience with multiplayer being done via online multiplayer. Can't think of the last time I heard anyone mentioning doing local multiplayer in something like a EA Madden or NCAA release.

I'm hoping for an Intellivision compilation. So I could see it being useful in a few games like Utopia (Most of the multiplayer games that were keypad heavy aren't any fun).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-22-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii U is nothing more than a DS in console form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Truth be told, I wish Nintendo just had a regular freaking controller, but oh well, that's the way it goes. We get a gigantic controller to hold in our laps, with thumbsticks above buttons ? ? ? At least there was that picture that leaked showing the thumbsticks instead of the circle pads. That's at least one smart move they made. Nobody wants to play a Call of Duty type game with Fisher Price circle pads.

The name "Wii U" actually makes PERFECT sense if you really think about. We .... You.... We (all the people that have to use the old school wii-motes) You (The lucky devil that gets to use the controller with the screen on it) We against You. Like that game where the guy with the tablet controller was the UFO, and everybody using Wii-motes were running around on the ground in a maze.

I hope Nintendo REQUIRES wii-motion plus for use with Wii-U. No regular Wii motes should be allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm thrilled with this controller. It's more or less a traditional gamepad and that's just what I wanted to see Nintendo include right out of the box. And I'm intrigued by the additional capabilities a touch screen will bring to the table. As long as it's light enough and comfortable to hold (And reports last year were that it was surprisingly light and comfortable), I'll be happy.

I hope they let regular Wiimotes work for backwards compatibility at least. I don't think they even need to mandate Motion Plus for Wii U software. My money is on them including a Wiimote and nunchuck with this so developers continue to embrace motion controls (Which isn't going to happen if it depends on accessories that must be bought seperately). All they need to do is make that included Wiimote be Motion Plus capable.

If every Wii U comes with a Motion Plus Wiimote out of the box, developers will take advantage of those additional capabilities when necessary since everyone will have what they need without having to buy an additional accessory. So support will come naturally without Nintendo mandating it. And where it's not necessary (The additional capabilities of Motion Plus seem unnecessary for most motion software to me), we'll still be able to utilize our existing controllers to fill out multiplayer lineups.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-23-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To me, Wii Motion Plus gives the remotes accuracy that's pretty close to the playstation move. I think they are much improved over the original wii-motes. If Wii U is Nintendo's new system for the foreseeable future, why not take advantage of the newer Wii Motion Plus ?

Why not support both ? I just think it would be too much confusion during development. If they can develop the game expecting everybody to use Wii Motion Plus, then they can be more aggressive with their designs. If they have to account for the possibility of the old school wii-motes, then they will have to dial back their ambition. Why confuse things? Plus, it's not like the old Wii Motes are useless. Just get the Wii Motion plus adapter. Simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If every Wii U comes with a Motion Plus capable Wiimote, I'm sure they're going to have no issues with developers not supporting the device.

The issue of support comes into play when a device needs to be bought seperately. When that's the case, you usually encounter what Wii Motion Plus experienced on the Wii where the device saw little support from developers. It's rare for an additional accessory to gain widespread enough acceptance to see support become common (Beyond the original Dual Shock, I'm almost at a loss to list another example).

All they got to do to tackle that issue is ship every Wii U with one. And I'm sure they're going to since they talk about wanting motion gaming to remain an important part of their business. And the only way they're going to see that occur is if developers can work with the notion that every Wii U owner has the necessary controller to play their software with.

And that will happen, despite 100 million Wii's already being out there, by bundling in a Wiimote and nunchuck with every console sold.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-23-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    That's a concern of mine, I can only imagine that the controller/tablet is going to be pricey. What do you guys think?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    That's a concern of mine, I can only imagine that the controller/tablet is going to be pricey. What do you guys think?
    $99.99 most likely. Maybe $79.99 at the lowest.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Rumored specs from claimed UBI soft source
    Graphics card: Radeon HD 6770
    RAM: 2Gb, with 560 (more?) dedicated to running the operating system.
    Support for two of the system's tablet controllers
    The controller's triggers are digital rather than analogue.
    The new 'button' on the controller relates to a new version of the Wii Vitality Sensor technology.
    Achievements supported.
    The dashboard is customisable.
    The console is currently running Epic's newly revealed Unreal Engine 4.
    Valve is working on a digital distribution system for the console, as well as a port of Portal 2.
    EA and Crytek are also very much involved.
    The system is due for launch on November the 23rd, for between $350 and $450. Price not entirely set yet.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/e3-rumors-...f-not-made-up/

Life!? ... What console is that on?