Thread: Based on the games released, who's your favorite publisher and/or developer this gen?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Based on the games released, who's your favorite publisher and/or developer this gen?

First party, third party, doesn't matter. When it comes this generations publishers, my favorites have been Sony, EA, Xseed, and Sega. My favorite developers have been From Software and Falcom.

My favorite developer though, as amazing as the games are that the others have released, has got to be EA. They have so many games that I can say are some of the best I've ever played in their genre. Sure they might buy out the best developers, but one good thing about EA is they give their developers the funding to actually produce some great titles.

I've just recently played Army of Two 40th Day at my friends and although the game isn't too long, the game is the best third person shooter I've ever played. Gears of War and Uncharted are amazing games, and while I like the Uncharted series slightly better because of the platforming aspect and storyline, Army of Two 40th day is the best pure shooter. There's so much added into the game that it just does right. There are some parts they allow you to rescue hostages. Working with your partner, you can tag enemies so your partner will see them, and you'll have to have someone who you work well with that can work quick with you depending on the situation. Are you going to go in there and kill them or will you try to capture them. You also have customizable weapons that you can just upgrade on your own, or you can work it around your partners equipment. Gold weapons? Bling bling, mother fucker. Depending on your weapons, the enemies will be more on you or on your partner.

Dead Space 2. Another game that I've passed on the first one and just recently played the second one. Resident Evil 4 style, but something is missing from Resident Evil 4 that I just didn't like. That's right. It's not survival horror. It's thrown away the survival horror and is nothing more than just third person shooting from beginning to end, except that the shooting on the game is lackluster. Capcom could seriously take notes from Visceral, as Dead Space takes the Resident Evil 4 style and has still has the survival horror down. If you want a co op shooter, Resident Evil 5 is an amazing game, but if you want a survival horror shooter, then Dead Space is amazing. Dead Space Extraction uses the same style but instead is a length and very good light gun shooter.

Dante's Inferno is the best stylish action game since Devil May Cry 3, although Lords of Shadows later came out and is better, Dante's Inferno is still an amazing game. The Saboteur is only slightly worse than Grand Theft Auto 4 and Scarface the World is Yours, doing a lot of things better than both of those games, but then some other things worse(such as no boats.) Mirror's Edge, Dragon Age Origins, etc. There are others I haven't played or put a lot of time into, such as Battlefield 3, but there are so many amazing games that have been published by EA this gen.

When games like Army of Two 40th Day and Dead Space 2 are so good as to get me to go out and purchase the previous games right after I play them, then that's telling you the games are that good. There are other amazing games this gen, like Twisted Metal, Uncharted, Yakuza 4, Vanquish, Brave Story, Trails in the Sky, etc, and a lot of great games from Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Xseed, Atlus, Microsoft, etc, but EA just stands above them releasing an overall larger amount of quality than others.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo. Mario Galaxy could have clinched this on its own, but with Mario Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii, Sports Resort, Mario Kart... yeah. Nintendo. Seriously, I love the Mario Galaxy games that much. They are the only reason I even have a 'current gen' system, if you count the Wii as one.

As much crap as they get for their DLC antics, I also really like Capcom this gen. Mega Man 9, 10, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, MvC3, SFIV, RE: Revelations, Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles, Dead Rising.. good stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bethesda, in particular Todd Howard's team. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. I'd say that their batting 1.000 in this current gen. Not too shabby...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NISA is probably my favorite publisher, closely followed by XSEED.

Developer would have to be GUST, though Rocksteady did a great job with the Batman games and Naughty Dog has made Uncharted into a pretty awesome series as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite publisher has to be Sony and my favorite developer is Naughty Dog. The PS3 hasn't sold the numbers that the PS2 did, but that's because they launched it at $600, they've delivered on the games though. God of War 3, Uncharted 1-3, Infamous 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance 1-3, Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, etc have been some of the best games I've ever played in my 20+ years of gaming. Naughty Dog takes the cake for my favorite developer though. I was already a huge fan of theirs from the Jak and Daxter days, but Uncharted pretty much sealed the deal. I have no doubt that The Last of Us will be a crazy good game, and here's hoping for a new Jak and Daxter to!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Going by the number of games I own it would have to be EA
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Xseed
    Monolith Soft
    Nintendo
    Mistwalker
    SEGA
    THQ
    Falcom

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

sony & and ea as publishers, looking at my library of over 60 ps3 games, i would say about 40 of them or more come from just those 2, and none of them with the exception of 2 fight night titles are sports games

sony can pretty much do no wrong as far as i can see where games are concerned, also have to give sega alot of credit for continuing to break out new ip's that are fun and well regarded within the gaming community even if they dont really sell that great, also a big honorable mention goes to atlus's publishing arm for taking a chance on alot of games that historically wouldn't sell and other companies wouldnt even think to touch

as far as developers, lol jesus, i'd be here all day, some that stand out are naughty dog of course, rocksteady deserves some mention, i dont care what anyone says, ninja theory are great developers. grasshopper manufacture is also another one i routinely check for

edit: BIOWARE
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Probably Bethesda off the back of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim alone (I can take or leave New Vegas). Can't argue with Nintendo though, the two Mario Galaxy games are absolute gameplay perfection.

I'm also going to say thatgamecompany, if only because they're the only company where I own and have finished 100% of the games they've released. And loved every frigging second of each one.