Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's here is getting really tire of game prices on bad games??

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Who's here is getting really tire of game prices on bad games??

Man, I'm been collecting ps1 games lately and the prices are getting just plain stupid... example, Tail of the Sun ps1 this game sucks so bad! How bad? I wouldn't let my beer used it as a coaster! don't give me that demand crap either as there are always plenty on e-bay. Sellers know you have to complete your collection with crap games, Well it time we stand up to this crap and not buy anymore crap games! who's with me? why do I hear crickets?
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is one currently up for auction and the bids are at $6. It has a video rental store sticker on the disc which should lower the value quite a bit. The lowest price buy-it-now is $20. Based on the auction copy, $20 seems reasonable.

When it comes to low demand games, fixed-price sellers' best tactic is to price the game slightly above the expected value and wait for the right buyer to come along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not the point, this game is really bad and is only worth 1.00.... but why do people over pay for bad games? it drives up prices on bad games. Is your collection worth more if its complete? I've hardly ever see a complete collection for sale? If you going to sell? wouldn't you sell one game at a time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ignoring the RPG genre, aren't the absolute worst games often the most valuable because they didn't sell back in the day?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Shulamana View Post
    Ignoring the RPG genre, aren't the absolute worst games often the most valuable because they didn't sell back in the day?
    Aside from the mega-popular franchises (Mario, Zelda) yes. My view is always if you have patience, you can wait for a deal.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
    That's not the point, this game is really bad and is only worth 1.00.... but why do people over pay for bad games? it drives up prices on bad games. Is your collection worth more if its complete? I've hardly ever see a complete collection for sale? If you going to sell? wouldn't you sell one game at a time?
    Thing is, I don't think many are actually buying these games at highly inflated BIN prices. The sellers sit on these for a long time. The occasional fool who falls for their routine is generally a hard-core collector who does not care one iota about the game play factor. That is what is really killing the hobby for most: Collectors and speculators who overspend ruin it for the little guys. Nothing can be done though, because it is capitalism run amok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are not buying the game because it is good, or even to play it at all. People derive value from games in different ways. Someone just wants the game in their collection and they want it right now, so they are willing to pay. Keep in mind that Ebay auctions have potentially anyone in the entire world bidding on the items. It only takes two people willing to pay a high price for an item to sell at a high price.

People pay thousands of dollars for Stadium Events, one of the worst games on the NES, and also one of the most common (in a variant).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once saw a copy of Superman 64 priced at $10, and instantly thought that the store should pay me $10 to take it.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sorry, but your argument is pointless. If you don't like a game or the price, don't buy it. Nobody needs a complete collection of PS1 games. Obviously, other people think the game is worth more than $1, otherwise they wouldn't be buying it for more than that amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're paying for the convenience of having it delivered to your door with a 14 day return guarantee.

The other option is going to garage sales and resale stores HOPING you find it, which would cost way more time and money than the $20 they're asking.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    You're paying for the convenience of having it delivered to your door with a 14 day return guarantee.

The other option is going to garage sales and resale stores HOPING you find it, which would cost way more time and money than the $20 they're asking.
    This.

I commonly sell older/hard-to-find PC games on my eBay store. I usually price them a bit higher and accept offers but quite a few sales are done at asking price. A lot of people don't have the time to go out and look for something; they need/want it now. For example, I sold a lot of four racing games last month for $20. I found two of those same games a week or two ago for .25 each. However, I live in a NASCAR/racing stronghold (Southeastern US) so these come up far more often than in Colorado where the buyer resides. It's very unlikely that he could have found one of those games locally, let alone all four, without spending more time and money than my offering.

It works both ways. If I want a Genesis game, I usually have to buy a copy on eBay (sometimes overpaying). I would spend more time and money trying to find one locally as Sega items aren't as common as the Nintendo counterparts in my area. That's just how markets work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Because we all know that a game's real world monetary value is based on one man's personal opinion.

If that actually worked there would be no good games and we'd all be buying NWC carts for pennies on the dollar.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Uh, did you ever consider that not everyone will share your opinion on a game sucking? I've never played it myself, but I know Tail of the Sun is a unique game and there are people out there who are interested in giving it a try. It does have a little bit of a cult status, with its small circle of fans. Some of the coverage by the press was favorable too. Seems more like a misunderstood game than a flat-out bad game to me. Add in some rarity, and that explains why it sells for more than a buck. As shocking as it may be to you, there ARE people who want to play it.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say I've noticed as I tend to NOT buy crap games online. I'm also not trying to complete a collection for any system that has 100+ games, so that probably has a lot to do with my aversion to shitty games.

I'd just hunt at local used game retailers if I were trying to complete a collection (if that's an option in your area). Odds are that they won't be selling shitty games for too much.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SonicBoom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonicsalt99 (PS, I'm Not on a lot)
    PSN
    Sonicsalt99

Well, It simply depends on the rarity if you ask me. Shaq Fu is worth 2 bucks. That's what I'd pay for it. Cheetahman 2 is worth about 1000. That's what it's worth
    I Need a life....Wait! I DO HAVE ONE! CLASSIC GAMES ARE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Uh, did you ever consider that not everyone will share your opinion on a game sucking

Sorry, but this game is bad check reviews on You-tube. The real reason for this Topic? Wanted see what people think about having crap games in their collections and the value having them or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    Well, It simply depends on the rarity if you ask me. Shaq Fu is worth 2 bucks. That's what I'd pay for it. Cheetahman 2 is worth about 1000. That's what it's worth
    You'd have to pay to own a copy of Shaq-Fu.

Sorry, but this game is bad check reviews on You-tube. The real reason for this Topic? Wanted see what people think about having crap games in their collections and the value having them or not.
    If I were going for a complete collection, then it wouldn't bother me too much (owning them, not paying too much for them). But, I wouldn't be paying real game money for them, rare or not. I've thought about attempting a complete SNES collection before, but I could be totally satisfied without all the Madden, NBA Live, etc titles on my shelves.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sorry, but this game is bad check reviews on You-tube.
    Uh, read my full post next time. The game has its fans. That's undeniable fact. What isn't fact is that the game is bad (or good), even if all the Youtube videos in the world said so. You would find it so much easier to understand the game's value if you simply accepted that, in addition to being rare, there actually is indeed some demand for it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

You also have to remember that there can be demand for "bad games" for other reasons. How many of us have a nostalgic longing for a game we played as kids that might be absolute crap by our current standards. Maybe someone played Tails of the Sun when they were younger and they have fond memories of it. Or perhaps they are the gaming counterpart of people who go to B-Fests to watch marathons of terrible movies. Sometimes terrible games can be very entertaining and certain game reviewers have capitalized greatly on that fact.