Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Creates Game Play Pausing Ads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Creates Game Play Pausing Ads

There has been lots of animosity from gamers towards game publishers for all the ads that are in our games, videos and on our dashboards. But a new patent from Sony will take that all a step further. Lets say you are playing a game on your PS3/PS4/PSP/Vita, perhaps God Of War, Uncharted or whatever. And all of a sudden, in the middle of your gameplay session, your game pauses itself(without your doing so) and plays a 15-30 second ad, making it so you can't resume gameplay until the ad is finished and it won't be skippable.

I'm not sure when these will be implemented but Sony now has free rein to do so at their leisure. Normally I would have said theres a chance Sony may never use it but in the current climate of video games(where placing ads all over the place has become the norm) I think theres a pretty good chance we will be seeing these sometime in the future. The one bit of good news for Sony is that other companies would have to pay them a royalty if they followed suit. But I really couldn't see that many game developers wanting to use a similiar format for their ads. So is this the future of video games on Sony's systems, random unskippable ads?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I say this without hyperbole...

This idea is worse than every bad idea from Nintendo and Microsoft combined x 99.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Hell, why stop there? How about requiring your blu ray player to be connected to the Internet, and when you're watching a season set, they can stream in commercials?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Hell, why stop there? How about requiring your blu ray player to be connected to the Internet, and when you're watching a season set, they can stream in commercials?
    Don't give them ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I say this without hyperbole...

This idea is worse than every bad idea from Nintendo and Microsoft combined x 99.

What's worse, this idea or banning the sale of used games?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    that too me is a toss up.

they are equally just as bad imo.

Thats like you going home popping in your disc you just got of season 3 of say seinfeld and all the sudden a commercial for mcdonalds pops up in the middle of a episode. Then makes you go "well what the hells the difference between this and watching it on tv."... we spend all that money to not deal with that kinda bs.
    And if a game company makes me spend 60 bucks on a game and then be forced to watch commercials in the middle of it because they feel they aren't sucking enough money out of me. Well fuck them too.
    I said once... I said it a billion times. Fuck power/money hungry corporation running bastards that think they know better.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Thats like you going home popping in your disc you just got of season 3 of say seinfeld and all the sudden a commercial for mcdonalds pops up in the middle of a episode. Then makes you go "well what the hells the difference between this and watching it on tv."... we spend all that money to not deal with that kinda bs.
    In a way with some older shows I wouldn't mind seeing commercials in the middle if they were the original commercials from the original time period, makes it more nostalgic and you get to see the original commercial bumpers that get edited out for home releases. Some of the fun of watching old taped episodes on VHS.

Of course it's different with playing games and I wouldn't want ads interupting me when I'm in the middle of doing something. If this happens maybe pirated versions will get rid of the ads. Then they'll blame the pirates as the reason for adding commercials in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

This is bull crap fu Sony. It is like none of the current gaming company's want customers anymore.
    SEGA!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I won't say it will never go where you guys are taking it, but there is a lot of assumption going on here. Couldn't it be more like the current Hulu (or dedicated network equivalent) model? Meaning it has no impact on people that buy the dvd or watch it live, but if you want to watch for free later, you also watch some ads. For games, maybe a month after release you can play the game free if you are willing to sit through the ads?

If it was implemented that way, I'd have no problem with it in theory. In practice, those streaming systems w/ ads blow chunks since they always get fouled up at the ads and i have to restart and re-watch all the ads at some point, presumably because my internet isn't the fastest. pretty sure they are punishing me for not paying a premium to get comcast instead of the city wifi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This idea wouldn't work for many games. For some games, like poker, it could work, because an ad could pop up between plays, with little to no effect.

But what if someone is playing another type of game, like a racing game, for example. The person is trying to take a turn at 120 mph, when all of a sudden, the game pauses and up pops and ad. Then the ad is over, back to the game...and Boom!, into the wall the player goes!

TV shows have commercials, but a show to some extent is built around the commercial. The show may use an upcoming commercial break for suspense, to keep the viewer around. In that respect, the show and the commercial can work together. But games aren't developed that way.

I just don't see people learning to tolerate something like this, in most cases.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

So something like MGS would turn a 45 min cut scene into a full hour tv show

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shriek of the Mutilated's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't mind an ad-supported system like this as an optional alternative to actually paying full price for a game, but ads *in addition* to the retail price would be plain unacceptable.

Having said that, I highly doubt this is ever going to get implemented as clumsily as the patent description makes it sound anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

I have one word for anyone who thinks mandatory ads in a game are a good idea:

Gizmondo.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Creates Game Play Pausing Ad

This totally sucks! Gee what's next? I shudder to think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I don't buy used games, so my first reaction is the commercial idea is worse...

...then upon further reflection, any console that banned used games would eventually kill itself (IMO). Especially if it's competition did play used games. The console that didn't would cease to exist in a matter of months.

In other words, it's too close to call.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony must be losing more money than anyone thought?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Modern gaming, as we know it, will be even more annoying and the consumers will leave in disgust. It is fine so far for some shows and movies seen on youtube and hulu but I can't imagine playing video games with ads coming out of nowhere

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I can't see this being some arbitrary or mandatory part of full commercial releases, that's the equivalent of Hollywood adding commercials to the middle of theatrical films.

This is likely for free-to-play or freemium product. Sounds exactly like what many if not all free software on iOS and Android does.

There are plenty of practical applications of this that aren't as wildly offensive or unimaginative as the examples you've described.

Commercials might subsidize longer running demos, betas, standalone online multiplayer modes for existing games. (Imagine if you could download and play standalone FREE online multiplayer versions of Uncharted 3 or Killzone 3 with the caveat that you had to play on a server that ran commercials between rounds?)

And if it's not for standard PS3 style games, I have no problem with ads subsidizing the cost of free games that run persistent on Sony's servers (Free Realms, DC Universe Online, etc) if it means that they can make more, similar product available to the public at a zero-dollar point of entry.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    Sony must be losing more money than anyone thought?!
    They've lost billions. I still don't buy that this is something to worry about. There is no way they will do this with full price commercial games. People would be so outraged it could literally kill the whole Sony video game franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    Modern gaming, as we know it, will be even more annoying and the consumers will leave in disgust.
    I wish I could say I agree with you, but there are plenty of doormat consumers that would put up with it, and they aren't likely to be the sort of people who spend money wisely. They're the same breed of nitwits that will pay $2 for a 15 second ringtone. Their money is just as valuable as yours, it's just easier to get.