Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wasted opportunities or: Why wasn't this a video game??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Robotech (in the 80s and 90s anyway) I know about the Macross games in Japan, but that's not Robotech, and they still didn't make it here.
    There was the canceled robotech crystal dreams for the N64. Man I wish that game had been released. I thought it looked more enjoyasble than the two that were released for ps2,gc and xbox.

What about garbagepale kids. They were huge and had a movie, but what about a game?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    One did come out for the Playstation in '97. I remember it being pretty bad.

What the hell was up with that music?
    Hey I never knew about that one. Thanks for pointing it out. Even if blows, I'm gonna check it out. And yeah, the music... wtf
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MC Hammer - He had huge hit songs and even his own Saturday morning cartoon, but no video game.

The Beatles - I can't believe the only Beatles video game is a version of Rock Band. No Yellow Submarine game? I don't get it. Michael Jackson and Aerosmith got their own games. A Beatles side-scrolling platformer would've been perfect on the NES, Genesis, or SNES.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-01-2012 at 06:32 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Care Bears
    M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand)
    Robotech (in the 80s and 90s anyway) I know about the Macross games in Japan, but that's not Robotech, and they still didn't make it here.
    She-Ra: Princess of Power
    For that matter, He-Man would've been awesome on the NES. I know there were Atari, Intellivision and Commodore games, and IIRC one of the Commo ones was decent, but the NES could've done better.

Rainbow Brite as well. Heck, just do a quick graphics hack of Rainbow Islands and its done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battlestar Galactica, circa 1970's. I know that Mattel made a game that was supposed to be Battlestar Galactica for Intellivision, but they lost licensing rights and named it something like Space Battle.

Banana Splits. The old Hannah Barbera muppet show from the 70's.

Johnny Quest. For old timers like myself who loved the cartoon as a kid.

Animal House. I could imagine a car chase scene ala the infamous road trip from the movie, evading police cruisers and what not. Also, could do a level where you have to shoplift as many groceries for the upcoming toga party, just like the movie. Obviously, this might not be a game for the young ones, but they did do a version of Porky's for the VCS.

Smokey and the Bandit. Possibilities are endless for car chase scenes and ramp jumping in Burt's custom Firebird.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    MC Hammer - He had huge hit songs and even his own Saturday morning cartoon, but no video game.

The Beatles - I can't believe the only Beatles video game is a version of Rock Band. No Yellow Submarine game? I don't get it. Michael Jackson and Aerosmith got their own games. A Beatles side-scrolling platformer would've been perfect on the NES, Genesis, or SNES.
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. That sounds like a horrible use of The Beatles. Actually, just about everything in this thread sounds like a horrible game idea that we were lucky to avoid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. That sounds like a horrible use of The Beatles. Actually, just about everything in this thread sounds like a horrible game idea that we were lucky to avoid.
    OP stated that the ideas merely had to be stuff that marketers could cash in on, nothing about the playability factor.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    OP stated that the ideas merely had to be stuff that marketers could cash in on, nothing about the playability factor.
    I understand, but most of the ideas floated here would make lousy cash-ins as well since nobody would buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are telling me that Battlestar Galactica, Smokey and The Bandit, or the A-Team would be lousy cash-ins for video games? Think back to the times when those IP's were fresh on the scene. Those would have been massively successful by any stretch of the imagination.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    You are telling me that Battlestar Galactica, Smokey and The Bandit, or the A-Team would be lousy cash-ins for video games? Think back to the times when those IP's were fresh on the scene. Those would have been massively successful by any stretch of the imagination.
    Simply slapping the name of some popular movie or TV show on a product is not a guarantee of anything. It cost a lot of money to obtain the license, even in the 1980s. Dukes of Hazzard and the other licensed games like Cabbage Patch and The Smurfs sure didn't move a lot of units on the Colecovision and all of those were massively popular IPs. Look at the two games that people always reference as killing the Warner version of Atari, ET and Raiders of the Lost Ark, two of the biggest movies of the early 80s. Again, consumers will only give you so much slack before they refuse to buy crap or at least something that isn't what they are led to believe it might be.

Battlestar Galactica was a flop on television that only lasted one season (Sorry, I refuse to count Battlestar 1980 which similarly failed). Smokey and the Bandit and the A-Team were popular, but again, simply having a popular license doesn't mean the game would generate tons of revenue or be a success, especially once people had already been burned by other licensed games. The same thing happens today. Licensed games are no guarantee of success and certainly other than superhero and sci-fi or fantasy IP, very few television shows or movies are turned into games simply because people won't buy them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sloan is correct. My point with this thread is that we had tons of licensed games like Wayne's World, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Flintstones, Moonwalker, The Simpsons, Die Hard, Porky's, etc., so why didn't publishers license other really hot franchises like The A-Team, Transformers, Voltron, Rainbow Brite, and The Beatles?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sloan is correct. My point with this thread is that we had tons of licensed games like Wayne's World, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, The Flintstones, Moonwalker, The Simpsons, Die Hard, Porky's, etc., so why didn't publishers license other really hot franchises like The A-Team, Transformers, Voltron, Rainbow Brite, and The Beatles?
    Simple, cost of obtaining the license versus projected profits or the IP holder had no interest (The Beatles took forever to grant rights to Rock Band, there is no way they would have licensed a crappy platform game) or they did in other countries and the games weren't good enough to warrant release here (see A-Team, Transformers, Max Headroom, etc...) or the market was already saturated. I'm sorry, but you could make these same lists for every consumer product imaginable. There have been tons of licensed games over the years and there still are. Unfortunately or fortunately, not every popular IP is going to result in a game just like not every popular movie results in a toy line or a popular soundtrack album, etc...The reasons why some IPs are licensed for games and some are not are as diverse as the IPs themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He did have a game: kind of.

I always wantd to play an Underworld game. It's now four movies strong and could make for a very strong action/adventure game. There was one in production for the Xbox but it got cancelled before it ever saw the light of day. You can see gameplay footage for it on one of the white kiosk disc from last gen.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol An MC Hammer LCD handheld game. I never knew!

And wasn't there an Underworld game for the PS2, or was it cancelled?

I'm surprised there's never been an Archie game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still want the original version of Nightmare on Elm St. where you are Freddy.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    I still want the original version of Nightmare on Elm St. where you are Freddy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

Rugrats game for the NES/SNES/Genesis. it seems like the only Nicktoon at the time that did not get a game release.

A Sailor Moon game should have been localized around the end of the 16-bit era/beginning of the 32-bit era to promote the anime's premiere in North America.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    To be fair, most of these game ideas would have probably been bad. But its fun to dream and ask "what if" and "why not?"

To this day it still surprises me that He-Man and Thundercats, being as prolific as they were, never made it to the NES, yet somehow we got a Knight Rider game.

The NES game was my first experience with the Knight Rider franchise. Sad but true. I hear there was a much better version for the PC-Engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Thundercats is my #1 choice, by far. Yes, there was a C64 game (I think), but it was crap and doesn't count.

Others I would've liked to have seen include Gummi Bears, C.O.P.S., Shirt Tales, and Freakazoid.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And wasn't there an Underworld game for the PS2, or was it cancelled?
    Nope, there wasn't any Underworld games released last gen or otherwise. I could see them making one similiar to Blood Rayne although they would have to put the focus on guns as opposed to using blades.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.