Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Guy Needs a Beating

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really need an Xbox box. I don't have one! But $33USD plus ship is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually, i am looking for a new gamecube platinum box. my cat chewed a hole in the last one.

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Xbox box is still like new, sitting in a closet, on a shelf, away from any critters that want to screw with it...
    Hell, I'd consider selling it or trading it off... but... I will check with a friend at a local shop and see if he has any extras. If so, I'll hook anyone up here on the board for shipping + whatever the shop guy asks for them.. why profiteer on a box?
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He clearly stats what the auctiion is for. If somebody gets suckered they deserve it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked to exchange my gamecube box at a local gamestop, and they said sure they would switch it out for one of the displays. I went to do the trade, and to find out that my cat chewed hole was better then any they had, AND they were not really offical boxes they were shipped in. They are some cheesy promo boxes printed on cheap cardboard to make it look like they have 1000s of game systems. Bastards.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why are they bastards? You can tell they are not the real boxes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Kids, this "selling only the box" bullshit was RAMPANT upon the release of the PS2 and Xbox. Some yahoo would buy the system, keep it, then toss a vaguely-worded desciption of the box up for $300+. And guess what? Ebay prosecuted every single one of them. Even those who said "It's a box, you get only the box, nothing but the box, no system incuded" were hammered because it was obvious what they were doing. I agree that eBay was policing for the Stupid People who bid without reading, but it's still slimey of the seller.

I promise you this will be pulled before it ends normally.
    I know this is really REALLY ancient, but I howled in laughter when I read this post. Ebay has never prosecuted anybody for anything. They have no prosecutorial powers. And they don't end listings for system boxes. And didn't in 2003 either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    I know this is really REALLY ancient, but I howled in laughter when I read this post. Ebay has never prosecuted anybody for anything. They have no prosecutorial powers. And they don't end listings for system boxes. And didn't in 2003 either.
    "prosecuted" was probably too strong of a word for him to use, but I do know that selling product boxes used to be against eBay policy(not sure if it still is). Such listings would get pulled all the time, though usually only if reported. A lot more were likely to have slipped through the cracks only to end with the seller demanding their money back and eBay siding with the seller.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Back in 2003 ebay was for the seller. If you got ripped off, they'd do nothing

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They alos have a policy of not allowing pirated software, but I'd guess a full 50% of the games being sold on ebay are bootlegs or reproductions.

I am just surprised someone responded

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I was selling quite a bit back then and I do remember wanting to sell an empty XBOX box but decided it simply wasn't worth the trouble. Even if you put "BOX ONLY!!!!!" in the title and 100 times in the description, people were still biding on them as though it was the complete system. At the very least resulting in negative feedback if not lost eBay claims. And that's for listings that weren't even scams.

I can't find that policy anymore, so I assume they revoked it, but a simple google search will reveal many other people who were asking questions on the eBay community page about why their box only listings got pulled. The fact is, that they did indeed pull listings for empty product boxes, even back in 2003. Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And of course there a ton of people selling things every day that are against their policy, but that does not mean that they don't try to police it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...