Thread: SNES Model-2 (Mini) Issue... Repair?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question SNES Model-2 (Mini) Issue... Repair?

I apoligize if there is already another thread of this nature. I searched but could not find it.

I purchased a very clean SNES Model-2 from a local flea market about a year to 2 years ago. I used the unit a couple times when I first got it... even then, it took a couple tries to get a game going. I left it for a few months, then came back to play another SNES game... this time I found when I did get it to play, that there would be no sound. It's been almost a year since those issues... so recently popped in a few games, and can't get them to come on at all. The screen does it's usual "quick flick" when you turn on any system, signifying the power button has been switched... but nothing comes on screen, and absolutely no sound.

Anyone elese have this issue with their SNES? Possibly, specificlly, the Model-2? Is the SNES, or Model-2 just itself prone to this?

I noticed that A/V Composite cables that came with the SNES, (which are Nintendo brand), seem "loose". The connections on the SNES itself... (A/V & power adapter input)... are nice and clean, and secure. But the cables themselves seem "loose". The A/V Composite cables on my GameCube are the same... which are also Nintendo brand... but don't seem as "loose". Not sure if that's even the problem. Or could be a combination of problems? The pins seem to be clean, and and in great shape, from what I can see.

Again, anyone else experience this issue with their SNES? And, if all-else fails... whom out there is, or knows, a trust-worthy source that can repair an SNES model 2?

Thanks so very much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snes_model2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	5208

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on the fact that you can see the quick flicker (letting you know it's been turned on), I'd wager that the system, and possibly the games, need to be cleaned.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried using different cables? Try the AV cable from your GameCube. Also, make sure the cart slot is clean. Where the NES would flicker or give a gray screen, the SNES just outputs black.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I've owned my SNES2 since xmas 1997 (it was my very own snes- not my brother's!) and experience the same thing. I think my cartridge slot is just worn out- it takes a decent amount of effort to get some games up & running, but once they're good, they're good.
    As the previous poster said, it doesn't output ANY audio/video if the connection isn't good enough. This can get tricky with some games that take 2-3 seconds to show anything once they're turned on (even with a good connection).
    In that respect, does anyone know how to replace the connector on an SNES mini?

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have had the same problems the connector on them is soldered to the board so the effort to replace them would be more than just getting another console. I found that if you take off the top you can get more play with the carts and get them to work alot easier. You could also try bending the oins back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have any of you tried giving the port a proper cleaning? And if so, how are you cleaning it? I've worked on dozens of SNES systems over the years and this symptom (blank screen with slight flicker upon power up) is almost always indicative of a dirty cartridge port.

Those ports don't wear out that easily. You'd have to give it a pretty significant amount of use and abuse to actually wear it out.