Thread: Atari Clone - Switch Problems

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari Clone - Switch Problems

Hello,

I've had this console with built-in games for almost 20 years now. It developed this problem long ago, but I never paid it any mind... basically, at the slightest touch, the game screen either goes black or changes the game to the next one in the memory. However, I was just cleaning it yesterday and felt like playing, and the problem soon became unbearable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30052012091.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	5211
    (these are the front plastic covers, if anyone's interested in knowing what it looks like)

It is an old model with built in games and four switches: Power, Game Select (which changes the current game), Player Select and Game Reset. So I opened it up, checked the board and found that the "Game Select" switch is completely loose; the soldering is still there, but it has come "unglued" from the board, causing the switch to move around. I suspect this is what's causing the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30052012090.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	5210

I tried to repair it with tape, as you see above, but it didn't work. I didn't find any other problems with the circuit board (I may have missed something), so I'd like to ask your opinion, if this is what's really causing the problem and how better to address it. I don't currently have any soldering tools, but I suppose I could manage to borrow some if that's required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the switch is able to float around then resoldering it's terminals is probably your only real long-term solution. As you've observed, broken solder joints are surprisingly non-conductive. I don't mean that sarcastically - I'm always surprised at how non-conductive solder can be in a cold or broken joint situation.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very likely the switches, something not making contact or stuck on. Try a little rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner on the switches, be sure to blow dry with a can of air to "wash" out the gum or dirt buildup.

Some clarity on the "Loose Switch"? is it the solder connection or the switch sliding on the contact?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Some clarity on the "Loose Switch"? is it the solder connection or the switch sliding on the contact?
    Well, the switch is intact and the solder is all there; however, instead of the solder being "glued" to the board, it's loose, which causes the switch to not be attached to the board. The only thing keeping the switch from falling is the fact that the pins are a little thicker above the board and the solder "circles" are keeping the switch from taking off when you pull on it. Basically, there IS contact... but I'm afraid that the fact that the contact isn't permanent (i.e., the switch isn't always in perfect contact with the board, it moves around a bit, so the solder isn't always touching the circuit) is causing the random game changes and black screens.

Do you think replacing the switch would be needed or just re-soldering?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GamerAse View Post
    Do you think replacing the switch would be needed or just re-soldering?
    The only way to be positive if the switch internals are working is a resistance / continuity test. A cheap VOM would suffice.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    The only way to be positive if the switch internals are working is a resistance / continuity test. A cheap VOM would suffice.
    Agree, hook up a multimeter and take an OHM reading. See if the switch turn on and off consistently. If not then replace the switch, matching the poles. If the traces on the PCB are damaged, you can glue the base of the switch in the original position. Then run jumper wires at another contact point on the same trace.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT