Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II WINNERS PLAQUE AND CARD!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II WINNERS PLAQUE AND CARD!

***EDITED AND NEWLY REVISED LISTING****

Alright, so apparently my original asking price for this item was too high. I was only basing it on the fact that I know one recently sold for $400. So Im not really sure if the guy who bid $400 was temporarily insane, drunk, high or what the situation was, however I have now listed it at a price that seems to be more realistic from the emails I received.

The updated ebay listing is also posted here. I am also now accepting international orders. Thanks and good luck!

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let the serious collectors know that I am selling my Blockbuster World Video Game Championship II winners plaque AND card. I was playing Donkey Kong Country in the SNES format.

I was a store champion in Scarborough, Ontario (a suburb of Toronto) and I was told that I had the highest score in Canada. My score was not high enough though to qualify for the Los Angeles tournament.

I understand a plaque was recently sold on here however, my plaque if from being the Canadian Champion AND I have the collectors card included as well. The card is in mint condition, so is the plaque.

Check out my auction on ebay for this very rare item. Below is the link. Thanks and good luck!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160823970288?...84.m1555.l2649
    Last edited by The_DZA; 06-14-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

$299 is a bit high for something like that. Good luck on selling it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The plaques very rare, let alone in mint condition. And even though there were thousands of cards issued, most of the kids at the time just treated them as receipts, not keep sakes, and just threw them out. You cant find the cards anywhere.

Ive already got 10 people "watching" this auction to see how the bidding goes.

$300 is below market value for these. You may think Im crazy, but Im expecting to get around $500.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see almost no value in a trophy that was presented to someone other than myself. Having a something with some random person's name on it seems really odd. Maybe it's just me.

Either way, best of luck with the auction!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've got one of these that I one for the Sega Genesis in the US. I believe it was NBA Jam and Judge Dread. I won for the store but didn't make it past that. I don't think I would sell mine unless I was really desperate for money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I see almost no value in a trophy that was presented to someone other than myself. Having a something with some random person's name on it seems really odd. Maybe it's just me.

Either way, best of luck with the auction!

I'll gladly take someone's old trophy...

How about an olympic gold medal?

super bowl ring?

Grey NWC cart?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Agreed.

Also...DP restricts new members from the FS forums, but using your very first post to spam your own eBay auction is OK I guess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    I'll gladly take someone's old trophy...

How about an olympic gold medal?

super bowl ring?

Grey NWC cart?
    BIG difference.

Nobody's name is etched (or sharpied, in the case of the Blockbuster trophy) on most of those items, and any that do are identifying an actual celebrity.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

BIG difference.

Nobody's name is etched (or sharpied, in the case of the Blockbuster trophy) on most of those items, and any that do are identifying an actual celebrity.
    You could try to erase the sharpie with rubbing alcohol if you wanted to, then fill in your own name. Or just legally change your name to the same as his if that would be easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

BIG difference.

Recently Lawrence Taylor sold his ring but few Superbowl rings on the marketplace are ever from someone so famous.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDe...AWRENCE-TAYLOR

Most superbowl rings sold on secondary market are not the superstars. Every now and then a superstar sells a ring but usually those are the ones who can afford to keep it. Most that are sold are sold by scubs and even female office staff like this one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...per-bowl-ring/

Sure these jewel encrusted gold items are more awesome than this paper award BUT I still think it is cool for what it is. I won't say I'm in the market at $500 but for the right price I'd buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You could try to erase the sharpie with rubbing alcohol if you wanted to, then fill in your own name. Or just legally change your name to the same as his if that would be easier.
    Or just make one from scratch. I could make one of those in about 15 minutes and shove it into a 3 dollar frame from Big Lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Recently Lawrence Taylor sold his ring but few Superbowl rings on the marketplace are ever from someone so famous.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDe...AWRENCE-TAYLOR

Most superbowl rings sold on secondary market are not the superstars. Every now and then a superstar sells a ring but usually those are the ones who can afford to keep it. Most that are sold are sold by scubs and even female office staff like this one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...per-bowl-ring/

Sure these jewel encrusted gold items are more awesome than this paper award BUT I still think it is cool for what it is. I won't say I'm in the market at $500 but for the right price I'd buy it.

It's a ring, not a sheet of paper printed at a local Kinkos with a name Sharpied on it. Of course they have value even if it wasn't worn by some superstar player.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I actually remember some printed materials from this contest selling for under $50 awhile back, I can't remember the exact amount but I think it was around $30(under $50 for sure). It was one of the cards and instruction sheets for the contest(can't remember everything included), no certificate or anything specific to a winner but materials collected by a participant.

Really what's valuable is the Genesis game specific for this contest, the SNES games are only worth a few hundred dollars last I checked. I wouldn't think the paperwork would be worth all that much. Maybe I'm wrong as it's from a store winner, we'll see at the end of the auction.

I also remember some other forum member repeatedly saying that he has pictures or something from the contest but hasn't actually posted anything about it, he just kept bumping or replying to old threads to say that he'll get around to it soon. Maybe he'll turn up again.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

nice to see one as I never have but agreed no interest in buying one and especially at that price

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Damn, people actually pay hundreds of dollars for shit like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree, this thing has sentimental value, not monetary value. Why the hell would you want to sell such a thing? I would be hanging it on my wall as a badge of pride.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    I have to agree, this thing has sentimental value, not monetary value. Why the hell would you want to sell such a thing? I would be hanging it on my wall as a badge of pride.
    If someone was willing to actually pay me hundreds of dollars for it, I'd sell it too, in a heartbeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Really what's valuable is the Genesis game specific for this contest, the SNES games are only worth a few hundred dollars last I checked. I wouldn't think the paperwork would be worth all that much. Maybe I'm wrong as it's from a store winner, we'll see at the end of the auction.
    Correct. The Genesis game for the first Blockbuster Championship with NBA Jam and Judge Dredd is worth a lot. There are only about 4 or 5 reported copies currently in circulation. They sell for at least $2,000. The Donkey Kong County versions are also very rare, and they sell for anywhere between $500 - $800, depending on the condition.

Some people may think this certificate and card are no where close to my minimum asking price, but I disagree. The bottom line is that they are both hard to come by, and if video game memorabilia is your thing, then you would be willing to pay for it. There are collectors that do daily searches for things like this. I posted the ad on ebay Sunday night, and by 9am Monday morning, there were already 5 people who signed up to watch the bidding, before I made this original post. The bidding should get intense Sunday night.

I collect NHL McFarlane figures and I regularly check ebay every couple days for error figures and other specific ones Im looking for. Im willing to pay over $100, $150 for certain figures. Some people may find that crazy, some wouldnt think twice about it.

I think the bottom line is that everyone has their own interests and hobbies for collecting. Some of you only collect cartridges or systems. Is it out of the norm for someone to collect pretty well anything related to video games from other peoples awards, to trading cards, to stuffed animals to cereal boxes? I dont think so.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I really don't know what the value of this would be, but I wish you the best with your auction. I'd advise against getting your hopes up based on watchers. A lot of those people probably are just watching because it's an unusual item and they're curious how it'll go, with no intention of bidding themselves. I have very often had auctions with multiple watchers that didn't sell at all.

I'd say, in general, having an item personalized will decrease other people's interest in it. If these didn't have the winner's name, but rather had a signature authenticating it by some Nintendo official, I think that would make for a more valuable item. I think personalized items only fly when we know who did the writing and the fame of said person overrides the fact that it was personalized to someone. But that usually doesn't play out that well in gaming, anyway, since most gamers, sadly, don't seem to give a damn about the people who created the games they love. Even when you take out the personalized factor, many collectors would rather have a pristine copy of a game with no writing on it than the game autographed by somebody behind its creation. Sad, but true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

This thing is worth about $20, including the frame.