Thread: Watch Dogs looks like an early glimpse at Next-Gen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Watch Dogs looks like an early glimpse at Next-Gen

Man, have you guys seen that Watch Dogs footage? There is no way, the video that was shown, was from the 360 or PS3. I'm sorry, but that part at the very end with the cars in the middle of the street. Did you see how detailed those cars were ? Also, more in the beginning, when they show the guy just walking along the street, look closely at all the pedestrians. Each pedestrian seems to be acting as naturally as you would expect any real human to act. Look at their body movements... Some people walk fast, some slow, some in between, people just kicking back, talking, smoking, tapping their shoe. Doing fidgety type things that real humans do. It was almost uncanny valley if you know what I'm saying, but I love to see stuff like this, because at least we are pushing the boundaries of what we knew video games could represent.

Last edited by WCP; 06-06-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I was pretty surprised myself to hear its coming out for all the current HD platforms.

The game does look very slick in both presentation and gameplay, have my doubts about how open world "do whatever" the final game will be but it does look great. The meaningless idiosyncrasies of the NPCs walking by was an awesome detail and mad me think of how much farther we have come since GTA4's living city. I especially really liked all the small blurbs on various attendees to the art gallery. Seeing someone as HIV positive or a guy that was just denied a loan really brings home that the faceless NPCs are "real people" in the game world and I think little details like that can push players away from just gunning through and dealing with the consequences later. That's probably just being optimistic on my part but who knows. lol

Anyway this and The Last of Us are the only games at E3 that have really caught my attention. Both titles managed to make me care about more then just the protagonist with this game making NPCs more then just NPCs and the Last of Us making me actually feel kinda bad for the desperate survivalist thugs that were pretty much ambushed and slaughtered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UBI Soft's president confirmed on Game Trailers that THIS IS a Current Gen game

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's the best graphics to an open world game I've seen. Best or almost the best graphics on any console game if this is the console version.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looked like it was running on a high performance PC, honestly. I'd be shocked if the 360 or PS3 versions look anywhere close to that good. Maybe it'll be like Skyrim or Arkham City or even Saints Row the Third with a PC version that far outpasses the console versions. (and makes me wish I had a gaming PC!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    It looked like it was running on a high performance PC, honestly. I'd be shocked if the 360 or PS3 versions look anywhere close to that good. Maybe it'll be like Skyrim or Arkham City or even Saints Row the Third with a PC version that far outpasses the console versions. (and makes me wish I had a gaming PC!)
    Bingo. I believe everything we've seen has been running off a high-end PC, as opposed to 360 and PS3. It should still look good on those platforms, just not as awesome as the PC version. Sneaky Ubi!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

i just watched the trailer.... Very impressive. Very realistic in terms of how people react within the world.

Keep this up pretty soon you'll get those people who will never go outside cause why live in your own real world when you have one in a video game! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocade Fantasia View Post
    UBI Soft's president confirmed on Game Trailers that THIS IS a Current Gen game
    I'm guessing that you're talking about his interview with Geoff Keighley on Spike TV (GameTrailers). Actually, what he said was, that it was "also" coming out for PS3 and Xbox in addition to PC and possibly something else. Also, it's been confirmed that the footage shown was running on a high end PC. My guess is that this game is actually being developed with Next-Gen platforms in mind, but a somewhat watered down version will also come to the 360 and PS3. This is probably going to be the case with A LOT of next-gen stuff, because there won't be the installed console base on Xbox Next and PS4 to justify spending the millions to make these kinds of games. At least not in the beginning. Ubisoft knows that they have have a high end PC version, and can make some money off that, and they know that they can have Next-Gen versions for the launch of PS4 and Xbox Next, and then they can also have the slightly watered down versions on 360/PS3/Wii U. It makes perfect sense to try to spread out the cost among versions on many different platforms.

Still, if any Xbox 360 and PS3 owners are trying to convince themselves that the version they are going to get is going to be anywhere near as detailed, I think they are setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. I'm sure the 360 and PS3 versions will be decent enough, and will get about 75 percent of the way there, but the high-end PC and true Next-gen versions are the way this game was meant to be played.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-06-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some PS3 games that want to have a word with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ubisoft emailed the trailer to me and although I was reluctant to watch the whole nine plus minutes I'm glad I did. This was one of the most realistic cities I've ever seen in a video game. I could care less if the final 360 and PS3 versions don't look that good. I'll still be getting it for one of those systems if I don't have a next gen system by the time it releases. Hopefully it doesn't come out until next year because I already have enough on my plate for this holiday season.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Yeah. I'm seeing what looks like the APEX cloth physics used in Mafia II on the PC. It's really evident when the main character is standing outside the club, and his trench coat tails are blowing in the wind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are some PS3 games that want to have a word with you.
    Heavy Rain ? Uncharted ?

Sure, they could get most of this game to work on PS3, but not the subtle movements of the pedestrians. Not that many pedestrians, with that much detail, in such a detailed game world. I know that the PS3 and 360 still have quite a bit of juice left in them, but not this much juice.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-07-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks like you might be on to something.

http://kotaku.com/5916567/e3s-unsolv...next+gen-games

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Heavy Rain ? Uncharted ?

Sure, they could get most of this game to work on PS3, but not the subtle movements of the pedestrians. Not that many pedestrians, with that much detail, in such a detailed game world. I know that the PS3 and 360 still have quite a bit of juice left in them, but not this much juice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Heavy Rain ? Uncharted ?

You never know Look what was pulled off on the PS2 a system that was thought to be WEAKER than the Dreamcast

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You never know Look what was pulled off on the PS2 a system that was thought to be WEAKER than the Dreamcast
    while on the same note, it has been widely discussed before that games in the later generation of a system"s life cycle seem to look better do to the 5+ years experience developers have to create for certain platforms. I'm sure it was run on a high end PC at E3, but it may surprise you, on consoles, this late into this gen's lifecycle.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I doubt they'll be able to pull off that much graphic detail on the current consoles. They simply don't have enough RAM to make it happen -at that graphical level-.

I do believe they're capable of pulling off the game, but not looking that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Agreed. Not only that, if this has a 2013 release window anyway, it might make more sense for it to be a launch title on the next Xbox and PS rather than releasing something at the tail end of the current generation where it will have much more competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I doubt they'll be able to pull off that much graphic detail on the current consoles. They simply don't have enough RAM to make it happen -at that graphical level-.

I do believe they're capable of pulling off the game, but not looking that good.