Thread: Arcade Scene: Is It Really Dead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Arcade Scene: Is It Really Dead?

In the classic gaming section, I asked about the arcade scene.

This was largely because I haven't even seen one in a decade- yes, really!- but was planning on going to a mall area soon, since I haven't seen the place in as long.

It had the venerable, brings back good memories of Cosmic Avenger and Star Trek, Dream Machine.

But, several days ago I mentioned this to someone and was told that it was gone, just a few months ago.

Is it just because this is an economic dead zone, or is this happening all over? Is the Dream Machine chain gone or dying?

I'd rather hear about this from you fellow gamers than checking the Internet- you're much more reliable.

Thanks!

(test netbook)
    Last edited by Aswald; 06-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Interesting stuff, here (COMPLETELY unbiased opinion, hehhehheh):

http://griswaldterrastone.deviantart.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I haven't seen an arcade in a mall for over 5 years. The closest thing to a mall arcade you're going to see, is if it has an AMC theater attached to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mall arcades have been all but extinct for a long time now.... Every now and then you will see one (last one I actually saw was in Spokane WA), but most malls (which are owned by one or two companies nowadays) see them as an attractant for the riff-raff (kids skipping school and the like), and don;t make very much money. Back in the late 70s going into the 80s this was not the case of course.... I say this as one of those mall rats from that time period...

Most arcades are standalone endeavours with their own space away from malls. The location is the main factor in whether it will succeed, closely followed by what kind of games they have, and if there are other way of generating business aside fromt he games (such as attaching a bar or restaurant). I wish arcades would come back, because I miss the sounds, the feel of the controls, the lights, the music (They had Flynn's Arcade at Disneyland and that was right on the money from what I saw).... emulation is wonderful, but there is something missing from the experience.
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

A lot of the malls out here seem to have arcades. Not great ones though, usually just a corner with a few racing and shooting games. The bigger places mainly have redemption machines. Certainly not what it used to be but it's not too uncommon to see a few machines here and there.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have seen those things... most malls around here in MI have them too, and its ridiculous... there needs to be at least a Multicade present to give the player a choice... I test drive cars for a living, and on one of the routes I drive we get to stop in an area with that has a bowling alley... the game room in there is Fast and Furious bike edition, Guitar Hero and a couple of prize games, they used to have a Galaga/Ms. Pac Man combo machine and an Evel Knievel pinball machine (beat to hell), but they got rid of them... its a pity.

Even Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor has too many dance/guitar/drumming games... they need more classic machines.
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The two malls in my city both lost their arcades in the past two year. We still have one stand alone arcade, Star Castle, that also acts as a skating rink and laser tag arena.