Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get the best video quality with my consoles (and other problems)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    I barely play my Intellivision anyway, so if I have to I'll just get out one of my old TVs.

Any problems with my Genesis should be ignored because I'm replacing it with an X'Eye soon, but there is still the problem with my SNES power port.

Attachment 5314

Is my SNES ok or should I replace the port? I have an extra SNES I'm not using.
    If it works I wouldn't bother it as there isn't much chance of that becoming an electrical problem. More likely it'll fall apart completely later and become unusable long before it'd be capable of a fire I'd wager.

FWIW X'EYEs are a huge PITA. The switch that detects the lid is cheap and the motors seem ready to fail (despite being identical to those in the SegaCD 2). Modding them for S-Video, overclock (10mhz is a sweet spot that works very well) and a region free BIOS are fairly easy due to being virtually identical to the Genesis 2. Extremely temperamental on the CD side of things sadly.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does the 32X work with the X'eye? Does it need any spacers? And can you use those metal things you stick in the cartridge port?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

On top of that... X'eye ended up with lower Master System compatibility than its relative CDX. As little as American users even cared by 1991 let alone 1994. No idea how well SMS did in Canada.

X'exe was made so the first Power Base Converter won't fit, and broke soft reset into SMS mode. CDX has neither of these issues.

How does the 32X work with the X'eye? Does it need any spacers? And can you use those metal things you stick in the cartridge port?
    I believe 32X should work like model 2 on most X'eyes. It wouldn't run on the apparent X'eye revision without RGB output (32X requires RGB internally), but I don't have actual proof such units exist.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    On top of that... X'eye ended up with lower Master System compatibility than its relative CDX. As little as American users even cared by 1991 let alone 1994. No idea how well SMS did in Canada.

X'exe was made so the first Power Base Converter won't fit, and broke soft reset into SMS mode. CDX has neither of these issues.

I believe 32X should work like model 2 on most X'eyes. It wouldn't run on the apparent X'eye revision without RGB output (32X requires RGB internally), but I don't have actual proof such units exist.
    Would you say the X'eye is better than a Genesis 1 and Sega CD 1? I want it because it saves room on my shelves, plus it's rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Would you say the X'eye is better than a Genesis 1 and Sega CD 1? I want it because it saves room on my shelves, plus it's rare.
    Nope, it is a worse off console. Rarity means nothing given the optics are prone to failure simply due to being shipped.

Internally it is a Genesis 2, virtually identical with virtually identical flaws. Some X'EYEs also don't have the port necessary for using a 32x with it but it can be reinstalled if you really know what you're doing (surface mount soldering skills required). I contemplated adding it back into an X'EYE I modded for wingzrow here on DP but I didn't have anything for which to pull the connector from. S-Video went off without a hitch once I found a good circuit to use (but it looks identical to a Genesis 2 with S-Video FWIW). If you really want rarity find the Aiwa Mega CD.

Realistically you won't save any space on that shelf. At least not much horizontally.
    Last edited by APE992; 06-18-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might get it anyway, just to see how it works. If it works the way I want it too, then it stays. If it doesn't work the way I want, I could always sell it. I know a collector around my area who would enjoy owning one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-06-18 14.27.30.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	5324
    Next, I am looking to fix my C64 keyboard. I already said this, but when I found it for such a low price I got excited and dropped it. One of the keys broke off. I still have the key, so is it easy to repair? Would some glue do the job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And because it's interesting, what would the best video be on my systems if I DID mod them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

N64 some models can do RGB. 3DO also has ways AFAIK.

Turbografx is perhaps where this mode pays off most relative to effort. All the way from RF to RGB. If PC Engine is any indication, it should make a serious contender against the good Neo Geo revisions in video purity when done correct.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a message back from the guy selling the X'Eye. He said that the power adapter is not original but comes from retrogamecave.com. Is this a good site for replacement adapters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    N64 some models can do RGB. 3DO also has ways AFAIK.

Turbografx is perhaps where this mode pays off most relative to effort. All the way from RF to RGB. If PC Engine is any indication, it should make a serious contender against the good Neo Geo revisions in video purity when done correct.
    Getting composite out of a TG-16 isn't difficult (just two wires and a connector) but there is an annoying hum bar that rolls up the scroll at a slow rate. Not sure if it exists on all models but each one that I've handled has had it.

As for the N64 only models sporting the NUS-CPU-03 and NUS-CPU-04 boards are RGB moddable. They aren't incredibly rare by any means but you'll have to do some searching to find them. I've been stock piling them for a while now and have no less than 6 in this room with 7 and 8 on their way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Maybe that has something to do with an unclear difference between TG-16 and Japanese consoles? I've never looked into it. Don't ATM have any NEC unit on hand. Despite keeping some games and a controller for a rainy day.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I tried my systems with another TV I have. They all work fine with that, so I'm gonna use it from now on. It's a 32" RCA LCD TV. It's smaller, but more compatible. Plus it has an s-video input.

So that X'Eye power supply I'm getting will work ok, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The small TV is getting annoying. It's not as good as the 50" one. I'm thinking that an RF to composite converter might make the Intellivision work better. Would it? Also, would an S-video to composite converter keep the video at S-video quality?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

The small TV is getting annoying. It's not as good as the 50" one. I'm thinking that an RF to composite converter might make the Intellivision work better. Would it? Also, would an S-video to composite converter keep the video at S-video quality?
    Nope. It'll look worse than it did on the smaller TV. Every time you convert a signal the quality degrades.

The only thing you can do with the Intellvision is to get an composite video mod done so you can use it without an adapter on the 50" screen.

Alternatively:
    http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:intellivision_pal

This might be useful on a NTSC console. There is a schematic for RGB output which you could then use with an upscaler to use component video with. Wouldn't look half bad.
    Last edited by APE992; 06-23-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The X'Eye works fine. The video cables it came with aren't working though. They look fine, but they show no picture and play no sound. It has yellow, red, and white cables.

The video cables I already had came with the 32X, which I got pretty much brand new. It's only yellow and white cables, and they work fine with my Master System, but when I play on my Genesis/X'Eye the image flashes in certain situations. Not all the time, just sometimes. Like in Sonic & Knuckles it only flashes on the opening logos and when it shows the level name. But with Earthworm Jim, it doesn't flash on the menus or when the level name is shown, but flashes every other time. It doesn't make the screen completely white, it's more like someone was turning the brightness up and down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just tried the Genesis video cables that kept flashing on the LCD on a CRT. They work fine there. It was then that I also remembered how good stuff looks on a CRT. I started wondering, would a projector with a lot of video inputs be a good alternative to a CRT? Do they work similar and have no lag?

Only problem there is where to put the Wii sensor bar or the Kinect sensor. Maybe a little shelf?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thinking about RGB again. Is this a good eBay store for cables?

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/retro_console...&_trksid=p3686

It looks okay. This would be the converter I'm gonna use.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB...item3362ac07d1

I read that European and Japanese SCART cables are wired differently. Does that converter use European or Japanese SCART?

I also got component for Wii and HDMI for 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

They're an OK ebay store. The converter probably uses European SCART cables but if it doesn't the cables can be easily rewired to work.

Keep in mind that NTSC GameCubes and N64s don't output RGB natively. If you're going to use a Wii then you don't need to worry about GameCube games but I do have a few RGB modded N64s if you're planning on playing Mario Kart or the like. 3DOs also need to be modded for RGB IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But I'm trying to do it without modding my systems.
    Instead of a projector I might try to find a flat screen HD CRT. They seem great for gaming. I'm just not sure if they made them flat screen.

Also, when using the component cables on the Wii, whenever a white screen like the Wii menu comes up, the top looks kinda fuzzy. Is this the TV?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-04 09.06.40.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	5387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-04 09.06.08.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	5388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-04 09.05.57.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	5389

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It seems to me large amounts of white or certain other colors are a problem. On my CRT with your above linked converter I can get Sega Genesis screen rolling over component in specific parts of games, as if they output too strong of signal. Consistent results (like file select screen) make Sonic 3 a very useful test subject.
    Lum fan.